Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #1

Wink Is there a best time???????

Hi,everyone!!!!!
When is the best time to purchase highend items such as
HDTV sets and also why not new RV's.......It is part of RV'ing on a budget!
Thanks for your replies........araucano.
araucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2009, 06:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Retired 10 years ago. And since then, best time for me, has always been.
1. When I wanted something I get it.
2. And I have the cash to buy it.
3. No more monthly payments for me.

I am on a budget that is better, then when I use to work.
That is the reason I worked and saved to have what I want today.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
To me when a new concept comes out like example: Windows Vista, flat panel monitors, HD TV's, I-phone's..... I'll wait a year or so for the bugs to get worked out and for the price to drop 40-50%. Never had a loan in my life, and never plan to... Simply put "If you can't afford it, don't buy it" The people that are hocked to the limit are the ones that can't wait to have something because all they are worried about is "what is the payment". Once you get into the "Debt Trap". your there for life. you just have to step back and see what having the newest and greatest things in life really cost ya.....

It's hard enough absorbing all the new fees, new taxes, levies that have been hitting us where we live hear in NE Ohio. Fact just today our little city announced a new levy for Nov. (safety levy) and a new garbage fee. When I moved into our present home my property taxes were $900 a year, 18 years later were knocking on the door to about $2700 a year. My homes value went up maybe 20% - 25%, but property taxes went up 300%.....with no end in site.....And I see myself as lucky, My brothers are $6000 a year.......

But I will be able to retire in my early 50's, where as many of my co-workers are not even thinking about it till 65+. "Lifes not ment to work". I get 6 weeks of vacation and have not stayed home in 15 years. Usually 5-6 weeks camping.....and one week for western ski trip.....But hear again, case in point. With this recession my work has slowed down (very little overtime). So this next ski season we may not take a trip out west, but will instead take that extra week camping next summer. What we spend on one week skiing out west, I can spend 5 weeks camping.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Everything eventually goes on sale. Find what you want and shop for the best price. If you can wait until the sale, then you may be better off financially with a lower price. It's amazing how we shop around for fuel that is a penny cheaper, only to save a buck on 100 gallons, but when it comes to major items we tend to go out and purchase "when it's new." As for RV's, find your brand and then find when the next year's model will be coming out. Buy last years "new" model and save some money.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #5

September, New models of tv's come out and they are trying to get rid of the older ones. Also with RV's it works the same. Dealers don't want to hold on to this years model over the winter expecially if they had it on their lot all year long. The problems with this strategy is the new models always seem to have something you think you need and the old ones are, well just that, old. Everything loses 20% once you take it home. So chasing the price can be difficult to do as you will always be paying for something that will depreciate and wear out. JMO I like the philosphy of triker56. Seems less stressful.
Denis
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #6

Its about educating yourself. This thread maybe a place to start but its about research yourself. On big items such as RVs you can generally see that purchase coming months or years ahead. Then its about doing research. The net makes it somewhat easier. When I knew I was getting close to start looking for my RV(Over a year before) I started watching everything from Craigslist to Ebay and any and all used RV sites on the net I could book mark. I ended up buying a few months early because one day There it was the deal I had been looking for. As for new I was in a dealer around April or May that had a new coach for the past year the price was about 30% above the used coaches I was looking at. As for TVs and what not I buy only when I need and can afford them. But when its time I do research on price.
Mike
tumbleturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shop discounters and sites like Amazon or Woot.

Physically going out shopping is great if thats your hobby. But the old adage... Time is Money couldnt hold truer with that past time.

I personally would rather order online and be suprised when UPS/Fedex delivers my goods. Plus no money spent on gas, lunch, or $5 cups of coffee at the malls/outlets.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #8

Are you a weatherman?
LostTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTexan View Post
Are you a weatherman?
No...thats my name.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:28 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
TVs and RVs are so intertwined that....
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #11

May in Phoenix, the snowbirds have gone home and the hell hot weather and monsoons are around the corner. Expect prices better than show prices and loaded with extras.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by araucano View Post
......When is the best time to purchase highend items such as
HDTV sets ......

When the old one breaks.

If it occurs to you in March that you need to have a new “xxxxx”, and your next thought is “I’ll wait until September so it’ll be cheaper”, then maybe you don’t really need it.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #13

I still have the CRT TVs in my rig. As long as they work, no since in replacing them. When they do go out, I may just get another CRT to replace it.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #14

I've always been told by friends that work at the big box stores that TV's are cheapest the two weeks prior to the super bowl (Early Feb). They figure that's when everyone is going to get their new tech if they didn't get it for Christmas.

That said, I just went and bought a 30" 1080 smart TV for $100 a couple weeks ago for the bedroom and a 40" 4K smart TV with 4 year replacement for the Living area of the camper for $289 ($249 TV+ $40 replacement plan).

TV's are shockingly cheap in you wait until the new tech comes out and get the second newest tech a year after it's out.