Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:47 PM   #1

Two ways we've found to keep warm have cost us a total of $.75!
A foam pad used under sleeping bags, purchased for 50 cents at a yard sale fits beneath the rear window to help keep heads warm. We also found a new body pillow at a thrift shop (for a quarter) and placed that between the queen mattress and the sleeping mat on the wall. Gives us a longer bed, an extra pillow for reading and more insulation.
A second sleeping mat, given to us, fits behind the couch.

97 Winnebago Adventurer
taletellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2005, 10:47 PM   #2

Two ways we've found to keep warm have cost us a total of $.75!
A foam pad used under sleeping bags, purchased for 50 cents at a yard sale fits beneath the rear window to help keep heads warm. We also found a new body pillow at a thrift shop (for a quarter) and placed that between the queen mattress and the sleeping mat on the wall. Gives us a longer bed, an extra pillow for reading and more insulation.
A second sleeping mat, given to us, fits behind the couch.

97 Winnebago Adventurer
taletellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:27 PM   #3

We went South!!
seizetheday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #4

Thanks for the tip taletellers. Like siezetheday, I like the going South solution, and I'm down by Yuma right now, but even here it's going down into the 40's come Sunday night.
My advice is get a ceramic heater that works on propane if you aren't plugged in. Forget your RV's furnace. It uses way to much electricity.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:13 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We went South!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll bet we all would if we could!

2002 Newmarr Kountry Star 3566
wynedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:25 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wynedge:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We went South!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll bet we all would if we could! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's getting easier all the time with wireless, satellite, mail forwarding etc. etc.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:05 AM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
Well I guess that everyone that has a money allocation problem stayed home all through December. We gave all our extra to Santa for the herd of kids, grandkids and greatgrandkids. . My contribution to how we stay warm is rip the electric blanket off the bed at home and use it, even boondocking (they only use 150watts or so) a small inverter will run it and that lasts a long time on two golf cart batteries.

See yall in the funnies, Warren
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #8

We lined the bed decks on our pop-up with Reflectix insulation (actually a heat barrier). It made a big difference. Mattresses laid on top of the heat barrier. Also I like to use the mattress heating pads that you lay on top of instead of under (heat rises). We also tend to use a good sleeping bag as a "comforter". Only problem is that I have gotten so used to the extra weight of the bag that I have been having trouble sleeping without it (we have been staying frequently in motels lately)... Or maybe it has been sleeping in various "strange beds".

Currently in Laguna Beach FL for a "few weeks"
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #9

We did the "Gone South" routine. So far, so good.

Frank
Old 01-12-2006, 07:08 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
We lined the bed decks on our pop-up with Reflectix insulation (actually a heat barrier). It made a big difference. Mattresses laid on top of the heat barrier. Also I like to use the mattress heating pads that you lay on top of instead of under (heat rises). We also tend to use a good sleeping bag as a "comforter". Only problem is that I have gotten so used to the extra weight of the bag that I have been having trouble sleeping without it (we have been staying frequently in motels lately)... Or maybe it has been sleeping in various "strange beds".

Currently in Laguna Beach FL for a "few weeks" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
================================

Just a little note to you about the hotels beds, I am hearing that the hotels are only changing the sheets now about every third or fourth customer stay to save money on laundry and labor bills.
I dont like the thought of sleeping where other people have already been and the sheets not clean.
My wife was on a road trip and got a room at good hotel I wont name got into bed and it was wet, someone had wet the bed and room service people just made the bed with out a sheet change, that did not go over too well with my lady.....They, the hotel told here most hotels are not changeing the sheets after every customer anymore for cost reasons.
Well that cost them us as customers, we no longer stay any place until the sheets are changed and we prefer our motor home bed over other peoples body fluids.

Doug

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:54 AM   #11

Not changeing bedding!That is against the law,I do not think that is true no way.The health people would shut them down.Give the Hotel/Motel a open door for Law suites also.May be what You said is true alright but some one not doing there job is more like it I would think.The Hotel/Motel have rules to go by same as any other place that has to deal with people.Bushman..Eh
Old 01-13-2006, 04:56 AM   #12

My Mom has the timeshare thing up at Fontanna Village Resort (this year's maintenance fee is $400 so she told them she couldn't afford it as it was in my Dad's name and he died recently)so to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversery (was back in Feb), we stayed for a almost a week the week before Christmas (used up her timeshare points for the year). We knew they wouldn't change the sheets while we were there and we had to strip the bed before we left (otherwise it would have been a $25 fee). From Fontanna NC, we drove up to Johnson City TN (thinking of moving up there) and spent two nights in a Comfort Inn. Sheets smelled stuffy but looked clean... wasn't changed while we were there, just remade the bed. We took the girls up the day after New Year's so they could have a look at the place (I don't seem to be able to get rid of them but at least they both have jobs now) and we stayed 2 nights at an Econolodge. Again, the sheets seemed clean but not changed while we were there. I understand not changing the sheets while the customer is staying, but I do think the sheets should be changed between customers. And why are they so stingy with the towels?? I mean the towels tend to be on the small side or is it because we use (and bring with us) bath sheets? And the pillows suck!!! The beds are very uncomfortable but it may be me. We are currently staying in a private condo (looks more like a townhouse to me, but what do I know ) in Panama City Beach. The beds are still uncomfortable (one of the fancy pillow-topped things) and are way too high up (I fell out of bed the first morning because the floor wasn't where it should have been... BTW, I'm NOT a morning person ). But at least the price here is better than the motels (FREE! Because David is working on both the "condo" we're staying in and another one down the road aways). But I still miss my airmattress and my sheets & blankets (I brought my pillow from home). I think it's all in my head.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #13

I think someone told "the wife" a big lie. The motel/hotel is req by law (according to the place I worked at) to change the sheets after a guest has checked out. They do not however change the blankets or bedspreads unless you request a fresh one at check in or when you make your resv. If the room has 2 beds and one hasn't been slept in they don't change it but are supposed to at least check to make sure it is ok and fresh. Most motels/hotels now have a sign or other notification saying they will not change your bedding for x number of days or until you check out unless you request it. You can learn a lot working p/t in a motel; some things you wish you didn't know.
seizetheday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:38 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by seizetheday:
...The motel/hotel is req by law (according to the place I worked at) to change the sheets after a guest has checked out... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And of course none of us have ever checked into a motel that had dirty sheets on the bed!