Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
About the only difference is that Wal*Mart leaves the lights on all night.
ALSO, Walmart parking lots accommodate a coach with a toad attached, have 24 hour security cameras, are easier to get into/out of, many have security people in golf carts roaming the lots... the list goes on..... and, (best of all), a Walmart has a lot more "stuff" than a Cracker Barrel.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #142

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Prior to going to Walmarts, Bass Pro, Camping World & Sam's Club, I call ahead and speak to the Asst Mgr and ask if overnight RV parking is allowed. City Ordnances sometimes prohibit free overnight as RV Parks wants business and city wants tax revenue. Always best to verify and be a good samaritan.
Cracker Barrel is a treat and has great food.
If your a joiner or already a member of VFWs, American Legions, Elk Lodges, Eagles, etc. some have RV Camp sites and allow over nite dry camp in their lots for guests for a donation or patronizing the club canteen.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #143

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
ALSO, Walmart parking lots accommodate a coach with a toad attached, have 24 hour security cameras, are easier to get into/out of, many have security people in golf carts roaming the lots... the list goes on..... and, (best of all), a Walmart has a lot more "stuff" than a Cracker Barrel.
Mel
'96 Safari
But the food isn't as good!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #144

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
If your a joiner or already a member of VFWs, American Legions, Elk Lodges, Eagles, etc. some have RV Camp sites and allow over nite dry camp in their lots for guests for a donation or patronizing the club canteen.
There are a lot of those clubs that have some spots with hook-ups and only ask for a donation or maybe $5 for the night. If you are a member of any of them I would recommend going on their sites and getting the list of which ones have HU's thou sometimes you have to visit each lodges site to find out. There was someone that had compiled the lists for some of the organizations with which ones had HU and which ones did not but I am not sure who had it for sale now and how up to date it is anymore.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #145

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
There are a lot of those clubs that have some spots with hook-ups and only ask for a donation or maybe $5 for the night. If you are a member of any of them I would recommend going on their sites and getting the list of which ones have HU's thou sometimes you have to visit each lodges site to find out. There was someone that had compiled the lists for some of the organizations with which ones had HU and which ones did not but I am not sure who had it for sale now and how up to date it is anymore.
The Elks have 3 pamphlets covering different zones of the US I know of. Not all lodges carry them but they can be ordered thru the mail. Smart phones make it easy to locate businesses and social/fraternal organizations and call ahead to see if they allow overnite RV parking and have hook ups as well to see if they have RV Camp Directories for their organization.

Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #146

Monaco Owners Club
I remembered where I saw the club book thing for sale - Gypsy Journal E-Book Store » Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper - but it looks like it's the VFW and Elks only thru them. So for about $8 you could get both but you could get them from the groups themselves for free. Up to you I guess.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #147

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Really nice Walmart super center experience. Louisville, Ky, 11901 Standiford Plaza Drive. 24 hour security. Called ahead. Manager was very inviting. "Sure you can stay here! " He told me they had a noise ordinance so asked me to park out far from store. Not a problem-it was a very nicely landscaped lot with excellent lighting. Felt absolutely safe.

We didn't have time to purchase anything in the am, but I think it is a nice idea to thank them personally and buy a donut.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBFlTmer View Post
Really nice Walmart super center experience. Louisville, Ky, 11901 Standiford Plaza Drive. 24 hour security. Called ahead. Manager was very inviting. "Sure you can stay here! " He told me they had a noise ordinance so asked me to park out far from store. Not a problem-it was a very nicely landscaped lot with excellent lighting. Felt absolutely safe. We didn't have time to purchase anything in the am, but I think it is a nice idea to thank them personally and buy a donut.
That's about a mile from our house!
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz427 View Post
Their are over 600 Cracker Barrels in the USA and they will let you stay if you pull to back of the parking lot. We've stayed at more cracker Barrels traveling north to south and back. They turn the parking lot lights out after 11:00pm no one to bother you put the slide outs out. Turn the generator on if you like no one to tell you to turn it off or down. Not like wal-mart
Stayed at many Wal-marts all over this country,nobody ever asked me to turn generator off.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #150

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
:-) Can't beat that Kentucky hospitality!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #151

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They didn't ask us to turn it off. Just not park near front door so we could run it. I wouldn't park there anyway.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 AM   #152

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I cannot imagine anyone at walmart asking you to turn your generator off. If you are running an onan generator in your coach they are pretty quiet anyway. Compared to the noise of cars starting and driving around the parking lots they are very quiet. I always leave mine running when I stop at walmart to buy food at the start of a trip. I have a residential refrigerator and I run the generator to make it easy on the batteries.

Why would someone have to tell you not to park by the door. My coach takes up a lot of spaces it would seem to me if you take up a lot of spaces by the door so that people have to park farther from the store then they are going to show their displeasure by banging on your coach as they walk by and maybe using less than polite language while discussing your heritage.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #153

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Why would someone have to tell you not to park by the door. My coach takes up a lot of spaces it would seem to me if you take up a lot of spaces by the door so that people have to park farther from the store then they are going to show their displeasure by banging on your coach as they walk by and maybe using less than polite language while discussing your heritage.
I can hardly believe this myself, but a few days ago someone parked their older coach by the front door at our local Walmart, in the middle of the day! While practically everybody was staring in disbelief at it, a lady climbed down from the coach, sat down on the steps, and lit a cigarette!
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
I can hardly believe this myself, but a few days ago someone parked their older coach by the front door at our local Walmart, in the middle of the day! While practically everybody was staring in disbelief at it, a lady climbed down from the coach, sat down on the steps, and lit a cigarette!
She's probably the same one who parks in the fuel lane and goes inside to order breakfast and do a little shopping.