Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #71

One of our winter neighbors is a FL state leo official. When I asked him about the time limits in rest areas he said they applied to all vehicles. He said strict enforcement is normally limited to peak travel days (when rest areas get full to overflow) or when they are called for suspicious activity. Security evidently also watch for squatters, ie, someone trying to camp. Evidently there are some who will overnight in a rest area, move out during the day and come back at night.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #72

Tiffin Owners Club
I have noticed when going into a rest area in Florida at night that there are guards posted. I seem to remember a rash of problems at the rest areas a couple of years ago which led to guards. You can probably feel comfortable getting at least three hours of "safe" sleep.
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #73

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I stopped at several Florida rest areas during our 3 day journey across 1-10 and south to Orlando. I saw security at only one. There were plenty of signs warning of security, but only at the stop near Ocala did I see a security emblem on a small SUV.

I never saw any signs stating no overnight parking. Exhausted, I decided to sleep until chased off at the stop 40 miles west of Tallahassee. That was the best rest area sleep ever! I slept 8 hours, undisturbed! No semis parked thtere with their noisy engines running all night.

Either there is no security, or he felt compassion for this weary traveler.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have stayed at few in Ga and Arkansas, never had any issues.

1fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #75

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I guess they would have to stop somewhere else for the required 8 hours - or maybe they are allowed to sleep longer. I believe these days a company drivers every move is monitored so I don't think they can use the invisibility cloak.

Good question Mr D.
As an OTR Truck Driver, I have never been asked to leave a rest area. There have been times you pull in and the lot is full, and you proceed to the shoulder of the ramp. I have never been 100% sure that that is ok, but again, never been asked to leave. For the record, the logging rules for us truckers is a max of 14 hours on duty (only 11 driving), and 10 consecutive hours off. If you were forced to leave before your 10 hours is up, you would be driving illegally.

Just to close the loop on this post, you all have been more helpful than I ever imagined. Just returned from the trip and it was a great deal of fun. Decided to pull over when I was tired at Wal-Marts. My son had his Iphone and was able to tell exactly where the next Walmart was. Felt very comfortable in the lots as they were well lit, and many other RV'ers (and fellow truckers) in them. Once again, thank you all very much for your input.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #76

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Its always rest areas and truck stops untill my destination, and of couse when OTR

securty is never a issue [moderator edit]

I have bad luck with wal marts, seem some smart arse wants to go by and blow the horn
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I don't think anyone mentioned 'Loves' truck stops.
We spend a night at a Love's and I mostly remember them for the excellent coffee they had.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #79

Texas Boomers Club
A few things about truck stops from a trucker, and RVer
Fuel up and pull forward , then pay
Park in a parking spot if taking a break, not on the fuel island
That goes for truckers too
Think about pulling into the parking spot vs backing in,
Bed room is away from loud engines and you have a co driver to back you out ( use flashers when backing)
Slide outs are a problem big rigs don't always know that you are OVERSIZED maybe get an oversize banner???
Stop early and get a good spot well lit etc
Park beside a curb for your slides
Stay away from the back row if you can, bad things can happen back there drugs, street walkers etc. It is called it party row
Avoid parking on the end of a row without a curb, to much traffic and you might get clipped by a turning truck.
Be safe and have a good fun trip.
GoldenCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #80

Tiffin Owners Club
Good information Golden Crow. Thanks
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #81

This is just one of those things where you just exercise some common sense you will be OK.

If your RV is generally in good condition, people will assume you are fairly well-off, decent people. So if you behave yourself and not make a spectacle, then people will leave you alone. The police are generally not concerned with you being a problem, but may be concerned for your safety.

I've used rest areas and never had a problem. There are many with the spots for campers where you parallel park along a sidewalk. Like these best as you will not be up against idling trucks. But there is still alot of coming and going thru the night, so not exactly restful place to be. But it will do in a pinch. I've never been asked to move-along - even when there are signs posted.

Don't like cracker barrels or truck stops. I don't know which ones you guys are using, but I've never been to one that was exactly spacious to maneuver an RV around.

I really like the idea another poster offered of finding a small town and using a church parking or strip-mall parking lot. That could be a good option.

About truckers. I have mixed feelings about these guys. I appreciate that they are working for a living at something that is not exactly going to make them rich. And I've certainly been the beneficiary of their courtesy when I've wanted to pass or have wandered out of my lane. So I give them a wide berth and try not to take their spaces at rest stops or truck stops. But you have to remember that they are just average joes like the rest of us - sometimes they get mad and do stupid or childish stuff. Those incidents are few and far between in my view. More often I see them cutting me some slack as I'm not a professional (maybe only semi-pro!), yet driving a big vehicle. I think they see us as getting a small taste of what they have to deal with every day.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #82

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some states have "no overnight" rules in rest areas. Some do not, HOWEVER I would avoid overnighting in a rest area.

[moderator edit]

Flying-J RV spot, Carcker barrel (And you can go inside for breakfast too) or Wal-mart lots abound, Also lowes, Home depot, Menards, Sam's Costco and so on and so forth.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Generally speaking, never put slides out in a rest area, avoid doing so in a parking lot etc. Think about how wide your rig is, and how wide it is with the slides out. One rig can effectively use 3 parking spaces if in angled parking of a rest area and slides on both sides of the rig.

Also if at a rest area in the trucker angled parking, and you have a slide out, trucks/others cannot see that slide is out until they attempt parking on the aft side... if there is another truck behind him, it basically traps the truck trying to park, he cannot back up because of the others behind him or go forward because the slide is in the way. This will not make you any friends at the rest area, trucker might get angry and lay on the air horn until you get up and pull the slide in too.

Please be courteous to others when in rest areas and do not put slides out.
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #84

To be honest, aside from space considerations, I would never put the slide out (unless I am in the end spot and there's an island next to me) because I'd be concerned a truck wouldn't see it and hit it... even if it was their fault, in the end, it's not worth the hassle to me.

Also, something to keep in mind about slides is that some states consider their deployment to be "camping" which isn't allowed. Specifically, Wyoming says "it's okay to sleep in your car (or RV) but it must be in a "ready to go" state -- no slides out, no jacks down (although I'll admit to dumping the air bags now).

Steve