Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #99

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy cat View Post
I'd be afraid to stay in a Walmart parking lot in A travel trailer. A motor home would probably be ok.
We just had s great overnight in Bozeman MT. 40 or so motorhomes, travel trailers and others all sleeping soundly at the Bozeman supercenter.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agapemou View Post
Never been run out of any WalMart and I have traveled about 7500mi. so far. Great for shopping as well. ( food )
Wal-mart was founded in 1962.
Have not overnighted there yet.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #101

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

Will not say that I will never, but can honestly say that I have not ever. I have stayed in parks with no hookups in many places but so far no parking lots. The Airstream 190 B Van could have stayed anywhere. Just our preference to be off the road and settled in at a park. The same is the case with the Bounder.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #102

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post

We just had s great overnight in Bozeman MT. 40 or so motorhomes, travel trailers and others all sleeping soundly at the Bozeman supercenter.
In this case there was not an open space within 75 mi. The KOA had overflow for 35 a night. No services. We chose to burn the diesel in the supercenter parking lot. Worked for us.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We have yet to do the Walmart thing, but have stayed in their upscale campground, SAMs Club. Just us and a DP on the other far side of the lot. Very nice and peaceful. Red Lobster and Applebee's right in front of us.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #104

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
We have yet to do the Walmart thing, but have stayed in their upscale campground, SAMs Club. Just us and a DP on the other far side of the lot. Very nice and peaceful. Red Lobster and Applebee's right in front of us.
Us too, ate at one of the restaurants within walking distance and in the morning the McD's inside the Wal*Mart invited us in for free coffee.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #105

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never spent the night in a rest area, Though I am told by the Michigan Department of Transportation that in Michigan (At least) it is legal. However....

I read a lot of internet posts in RV forums. and I have read of folks who spent the night in a rest area and in the morning had flat tires.

Seems the truckers think that is for their exclusive use, they don't mind a short stop by a big RV but no overnighting in THEIR parking lot.

I have spent the night in an RV ONLY site at a Flying J or several, Wal-Mart, Lowes and other places.

I have also pulled into a truck stop.. Decided I did not "Like the neighborhood" and moved to a licensed campground just down the road.. All factors considered, the campground was less expensive (20 bucks plus 2 meals home cooked v/s gas for the genny and 2 meals restarant cooked)
Old 09-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #106

Monaco Owners Club
I will never understand why some seem to think that a campground is anymore secure than a rest area or a truck stop or a Target/Walmart/shopping center parking lot. You have criminals everywhere and no one place is any more secure than another.

Just last nite we went to visit a friend that is still working and living over at the Acton/LA KOA. They now have signs on the restroom doors telling people to watch out since they have had several break-ins in the campground of both vehicles and RV's. Last year the electric was fine at 120 volts and now you are lucky if you register 105 volts.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
I will never understand why some seem to think that a campground is anymore secure than a rest area or a truck stop or a Target/Walmart/shopping center parking lot. You have criminals everywhere and no one place is any more secure than another.

Just last nite we went to visit a friend that is still working and living over at the Acton/LA KOA. They now have signs on the restroom doors telling people to watch out since they have had several break-ins in the campground of both vehicles and RV's. Last year the electric was fine at 120 volts and now you are lucky if you register 105 volts.
Some places are more secure than others. North LA must be truly vibrant with unique activities.

I choose my CGs carefully.

Compared to a rest area, my CG stays are always safe, pleasant, fume-free, and comfortable.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #108

Quote:
You have criminals everywhere and no one place is any more secure than another.
Perhaps you are right, but risk of crime is like real estate, IMO. It is all based on location, location, location. In the last ten years of traveling half years, DW and I have had at least one instance per year, sometimes more, where we have felt unsafe or threatened while stopped at rest areas and truck stops (not overnight). In over 1400 nights in campgrounds we have never felt threatened or unsafe. We do not lock our doors when out to walk the dog or visit areas of the campground, and have not seen or heard of any instance of theft, assault, or other major or minor crimes while we visited. Of course, we never overnight near urban areas and most of our travels are confined to midwest and south US.

It is a personal choice situation. DW and I will probably never feel completely safe in a parking lot or rest area, and the savings in campground fees or time will probably never be enough for us to sleep in a parking lot. For those that do, safe travels.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #109

The Wal Mart parking lot in Del City, OK is adjacent to the Del City Chamber of Commerce building/office. On the outside of the build, there's RV receps & hydrants. There's a sign on the building next to the receps that read something like "free overnight RV hookups".
FWIW, this is on I-40, in Oklahoma City at the Sooner Road/I-40 intersection. Northeast corner of WM parking lot.

I know this is true. I live in OKC, drive by & shop this WM frequently.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
The Wal Mart parking lot in Del City, OK is adjacent to the Del City Chamber of Commerce building/office. On the outside of the build, there's RV receps & hydrants. There's a sign on the building next to the receps that read something like "free overnight RV hookups".
FWIW, this is on I-40, in Oklahoma City at the Sooner Road/I-40 intersection. Northeast corner of WM parking lot.

I know this is true. I live in OKC, drive by & shop this WM frequently.
Nice! No generators.
This would not even be Wal-docking.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Pennsylvania was founded when King Charles II signed the Charter of Pennsylvania on March 4, 1681. That was some 280 odd years before Wal-Mart was founded.

I've not overnighted in Pennsylvania yet either.

What's your point?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post

Pennsylvania was founded when King Charles II signed the Charter of Pennsylvania on March 4, 1681. That was some 280 odd years before Wal-Mart was founded.

I've not overnighted in Pennsylvania yet either.

What's your point?

I have been tenting/RVing since 1955.
Walmart does not allow tenting. Tents do not have generators. No fumes. But no where to pound stakes.

I do not overnight in rest stops nor do I Wal-dock (et al).

I was sad when the dinosaurs died.
That's about it for now.