Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
PEN FED credit card - how to max the 5% credit

Recently obtained the Pentagon Federal Credit Union credit card that gets 5% credit for gas purchases at the pump. Used it last month just to fill my old truck (maybe 20 gallons). Statement came with the 5% credit right on it. Good, all is well.

Fast forward to today and first time to fill the MH. At the pump ran up the 1st $100 and the pump stopped. Swiped the card again - message to see the attendant. Attendant authorized a 2nd $100 - at the register inside. Ran that into the MH and called it fill'ed 'nuf.

So the question:
  • Will I see the 5% credit on the 2nd $100 as it was not swiped at the pump?
Additional questions:
  • Sometimes the gas station will allow a 2nd authorization at the pump on the same card. So here all should be good. But how about those that don't allow a 2nd authorization? Either at the pump or if you go inside? Heretofore I would just pull out a second credit card on a differing bank for the 2nd authentication.
  • Can I swipe the wife's card (her name, same account) for the 2nd authorization?
So basically looking for hints and tricks on how to maximize benefit of the PenFed cash back card??

Thx!
Vince
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The discount is based upon $ total of each purchase. Pumps have automatic cut-offs depending upon the bank card. The attendants can waive limit at the register if you give them the card first. This keeps you from swiping your card multiple times.
Once your card is swiped, it remains open until closed by you putting the nozzle back in the pump or the attendant.
I belong to PFCU and will have to check on their credit card as BofA only gives 3% for fuel. Interest charge doesn't matter on credit cards if you pay them off in full monthly.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Recently obtained the Pentagon Federal Credit Union credit card that gets 5% credit for gas purchases at the pump. Used it last month just to fill my old truck (maybe 20 gallons). Statement came with the 5% credit right on it. Good, all is well.

Fast forward to today and first time to fill the MH. At the pump ran up the 1st $100 and the pump stopped. Swiped the card again - message to see the attendant. Attendant authorized a 2nd $100 - at the register inside. Ran that into the MH and called it fill'ed 'nuf.

So the question:
  • Will I see the 5% credit on the 2nd $100 as it was not swiped at the pump?
Additional questions:
  • Sometimes the gas station will allow a 2nd authorization at the pump on the same card. So here all should be good. But how about those that don't allow a 2nd authorization? Either at the pump or if you go inside? Heretofore I would just pull out a second credit card on a differing bank for the 2nd authentication.
  • Can I swipe the wife's card (her name, same account) for the 2nd authorization?
So basically looking for hints and tricks on how to maximize benefit of the PenFed cash back card??

Thx!
Vince
No you will not see the 5% rebate on second transaction. It is reported under a different merchant code. You have to swipe at the pump to receive the 5%.

You're right, most pumps will allow at least two separate transactions. Try it again at a different station and see what happens.

Don't know if trying your wife's card would make any difference, but it would be worth a try.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #4

DW's card should have the same number on it as yours if she is added to your account, mine does. It's the same as swiping your card again. If she has a separate account it works.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #5

Pen Fed CRedit card

Did you just get that credit card?? I thought that Pen Fed ceased issuing the card with credit for gas purchases, and went to a rewards program.....so will be interested in your answer. Let me know....it's a card I would like to have.
premick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by premick View Post
Did you just get that credit card?? I thought that Pen Fed ceased issuing the card with credit for gas purchases, and went to a rewards program.....so will be interested in your answer. Let me know....it's a card I would like to have.
Here you go: https://www.penfed.org/Platinum-Cash-Rewards/
Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the card at the time of the original post. Works well, given the need to swipe at the pump. See the recent threads about changes in terms unless you have some additional business with them.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Strange that the gas stations say it is the CC company that limits the purchases at the gas station but when I call my CC company (Navy Federal) they state that the limitation is placed on the pump by the gas station, not them.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Strange that the gas stations say it is the CC company that limits the purchases at the gas station but when I call my CC company (Navy Federal) they state that the limitation is placed on the pump by the gas station, not them.
It's definitely the station. I can use my PenFed card at PFJ, Frazier Park, CA, with a $495 limit. Using the same card at PFJ, Lodi, CA, I'm limited to $175.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
It's not the CC co. ...
Old 09-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had from 75 dollar limit to a 125 dollar limit on my CC at the pump.
I was going cross country and was denied authorization once at the pump. No cell access at that area and the station wouldn't allow use of the phone. I had a debit card I used. Called the CC company via skype at the campground and they informed me it was because I used the CC twice in one day in two different states. After going through all maiden name / verification the girl asked me what did I purchase a couple months back for xxx.xx amount of dollars.... Like I am supposed to remember all my purchases even after explaining we were on the road. I asked her to nail down the town and then I was able to recall what the purchase was and she reinstated the card.
I now carry two cards and use both at each fillup. I don't have the cash back.h I should look into that.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
I have had from 75 dollar limit to a 125 dollar limit on my CC at the pump.
I was going cross country and was denied authorization once at the pump. No cell access at that area and the station wouldn't allow use of the phone. I had a debit card I used. Called the CC company via skype at the campground and they informed me it was because I used the CC twice in one day in two different states. After going through all maiden name / verification the girl asked me what did I purchase a couple months back for xxx.xx amount of dollars.... Like I am supposed to remember all my purchases even after explaining we were on the road. I asked her to nail down the town and then I was able to recall what the purchase was and she reinstated the card.
I now carry two cards and use both at each fillup. I don't have the cash back.h I should look into that.
Every time I plan on going out of state I have to go to the PenFed website ahead of time and list the states I will be traveling through. If I don't they will not honor any out of state transactions. I don't mind doing this at all since it is ultimately fraud protection.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by premick View Post
I have had my card a little over a month. I have only purchased fuel and only used it for the Motorhome twice. The first time the pump shut off at $75. I swiped the card again and got another $75. The third try resulted in a request to go inside. I called it full enough. I stopped at the same station on the way home. Only needed $75 once.

I have filled the Toad several times, usually at a Pilot. I have a pilot rewards which knocks 2 cents off and then use the the PenFed for the 5% off. My local Pilot is competitive on gas, but not on diesel.
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote