Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Your thoughts?
Useful, I will attempt that trip soon. 4 66.67%
Too wordy, make your posts simpler please. 0 0%
I am itching to share my thoughts and will reply. 0 0%
Does not apply to me, I am loaded. 2 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #1

Puerto Penasaco Mexico (Rocky Point) on a budget

my scenario as of Summer 2018:

no car towed.

skip buying Mexican auto insurance. i had one and no one asked to see it. (twice on two separate round trips)

skip getting my pet mexican papers filled out by an American USDA veterinarian. i had one and no one asked to see it. (twice on two separate round trips)

gas up to Full in America near the Border. Mexican gas costs more as of Summer 2018.

get your dollars exchanged into Pesos at the Cambio/Bank sidewalk tellers prior to the border crossing.

have your passport, or border card, or birth certificates ready.

cross the California border entering Mexicali without any eggs, avocados, potatoes, meats. (our remaining supply was confiscated when we left Mexico.)

or cross the Arizona border from Lukeville entering Sonoyota.

stop by the Super Ley food store in Puerto Penasco, buy your food what whatnot.

if you reserved at U SAVE car rental, go there during its hours and have your passenger drive the rental.

With your new food and maybe rental car, try arrive on a Tues, Wed or Thurs at the Bonita Playa RV park (better sand and gentler waves). Pay a single night at a base rate of $24 for a NON beach side parking. If more than 2 people, pay $2 extra per person. Mine got to $32 a night. You still should get some views of the ocean before the weekenders arrive and grab up all the beach side parking. But the walk to the beach is just a few more yards away.

The next day, if you are happy with the area, go back to the office and pay an additional night.

5 minutes regular walk by sidewalk to the nearest restaurant its accompanying few floors hotel. or 30 minutes sandy beach walk to Calle 13 (where many taco shops, ATV rentals and mini stores line the streets)

if no rental car, take a cab to the Malecon on a Friday or Saturday to see the hustle bustle of vendors/visitors and restaurants. Or if you are in good shape and strong, walk an hour or more to the Malecon and you will pass a storage yard of Bubba Gump type of Shrimping Boats as well as the harbor.

Going back, look at your gas gauge, if you are confident it can make the trip back to the border, skip gassing up in Mexico and fill up in America before 1/4 tank turns off the generator and stops your air conditioning in the summer

Have fun!
DannyBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBarrett View Post

skip buying Mexican auto insurance. i had one and no one asked to see it. (twice on two separate round trips)
They will not ask to see it until you have an accident or a theft. Not a good idea to travel in Mexico without Insurance.

Would you drive in the state without it?

The best part about Mexican insurance is the legal services provided as a part of the policy. In Mexico you are deamed to be at fault in an accident until you prove otherwise. Having a Mexican attorney that will represent you is a nice piece of mind.

Bad advice to skip it.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
don't skip pet papers you can have your pet taken away both in mexico and in us
on your return home
Old 08-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #4

Free Trade Zone

I know my advice about skipping insurance and pet certification can come across as a caveat. It was based on my readings that Mexico is trying to make it friendlier for tourists to get to Puerto Penasco. It is trying to discourage what many call "corrupt police activity". This corrupt police activity can be misconstrued. But nonetheless the experience is scary and makes Americans angry and as a result, tourists dollars may dwindle. Puerto Penasco's livelihood is from American tourists and their money.

In Caiifornia, pet vaccinations are also a requirement. Chances are that an RV owner has the personality and mindset to make sure their pets are up-to-date with shots and has American papers to prove it.

My medium sized dog barked and growled at all American Border Patrol entering my RV and around my RV. Also my dog barked and growled at all Mexican Military Patrol (with automatic guns and in helmets) entering my RV and around my RV. Their sniffing German Shepherds paid no mind to my yapping dog. And this was on two separate vacation trips. None of those workers asked for dog papers.

Yes I realize the careful sort of person will still get Mexico Auto Insurance and USDA Mexico Pet Papers done before going to Mexico. I did that once already. I then chanced it on the second trip. I did worry some but now I am home and all is good.

You can ignore my ideas and do whatever else. This board is titled "...budget..." is why I mentioned skipping those two costs.
DannyBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:44 PM   #5

I'd have no problem (and have) skipped the pet stuff. Our dogs came from mexico and lots of crossings we've never been checked. I had a friend who saved on the car insurance. Huge mistake.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #6

Pet documents I can agree with to skip. There is NO WAY I wouldn't have Mexican car insurance though. We've been Baja travelers for 15 years, never needed the insurance, not a good reason for us not to get it though. As previously noted, you are GUILTY in any auto accident until proven otherwise.

Viva Baja!
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know if it's the true or not. Met a guy from Alaska another story behind this. But he was saying, he was rear ended by a Mexican national in line to cross back to the USA. He had no Mexican inssurance, therefore he was guilty and fined $10000. And could not leave Mexico until he transferred funds. Remember it's another country and their rules apply.

LEN