Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-25-2003, 09:27 PM   #29

Lorna - We are from Tennessee too and when we had a horse trailer we didn't want to pay either or be pulled over so we bought a tag we found in a mall that said Tennessee and put it on our trailer. Worked like a charm...the police knew where we were from and we never got pulled over again. One thing to save money on in campsites is Passport America. You can join thru FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) or Camping World. FMCA has a lot of good perks also! Just went to an FMCA rally in Asheville, NC and learned alot! We aren't full-time yet..still waiting. Hopefully April or May 2004! Anne
Full - Timin' Wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2003, 06:46 AM   #30

Seems not too many people do this, but every penny counts when on a very tight budget! I wash my zip-loc bags and let air dry and reuse until the plastic strip doesn't seal anymore or gets a hole in the bag.

If any of you are retired military, we have friends that are encouraging us to use them. The rates are cheap and some are very nice, especially further south.

Wouldn't hurt to call your local armed forces to see if retired civil service also can use the campgrounds.
Antiquing & Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:30 PM   #31

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>..... since a lot of the stores have gone to the value cards I have tried to avoid these stores<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I start to shop while Mike applies for a card. Phony name, phony address. I have a big pile of those from Maine to NC. I usually keep in my wallet the tiny ones for the region we are in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>WalMart will honor store ads from their neighborhood competition. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better than that: we get the free coupons distributed at other stores. Example: Food Lion & Winn Dixie had coupons on distributor for Bush Beans. 50cts off on 2 cans (no doubling). We got dozen of those coupons. We used them at WM where the beans were only 39 to 44 cts. We paid then a maximum of 19 cts per can. We bought well over 100 cans. We mostly do that when we are home (we have bought shelving from store). And now we can do it a bit on the road: why do you think we have such a big truck?
We were pleased to find out that a friend of ours does the same thing as we do: we look for things at WM wich are wrongly marked at a higher price. We scan them. We each buy one: it's free if under $3. This happens all the time on products which are advertised on special. They don't correct it, so we go back the next day. Free cheese, pastries,..... Why do you think we spend so little on groceries and are still quite plump?

More than once, cashiers turned to our cart piled high for only $20 or so and say "Whoaaa! how do you do that?".
I never in my life paid for anything full price that I can remember. It goes against my principles. It's in my blood. From day one. (in defence of having been born quite wealthy, with a mother who spends, spends a lot). I am known as the "queen of thrift".

When we were in Phila, we went out on trash night and "collected" coupons fron the sunday paper. Mike got into it when he saw how much free stuff we were getting.
I just bought several pretty close to new Tupperwares at the thrift shop: 30cts a piece. All sizes.
Yesterday, I bought one pair of boots, one pair of work shoes and a pair of sandals at the local Salvation Army store: total $7. Nearly new and much better quality than I could afford.
I always buy new underwears though (when on sale at WM)

Chantal & Mike

working on the road 1990 Excella 1000 32' & 1998 International 4700

retired & staying home 1974 International Ambassador 29'
1971 Land Yatch TradeWind 25'
1990 Chevy Van G-30, 454, extended wheel base

femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 12:31 PM   #32

After visiting Newport News VA for a couple of weeks, I would recommend packing every drop of food you intend to consume into that place. I may be spoiled but the groceries there are HIGH!!! If it weren't for the Walmart there, I would have refused to buy anything. Isn't there any place cheap to shop at in VA? I'm used to shopping at Ingles, Bi-Lo and Save-a-lot. Sorry but Food Lion and Kroger are just too pricey for cheap me even with the "cards" (I already have a Food Lion card from TN)! When the stores are selling a $0.98 2 ltr bottle of Diet Rite for $1.39 and up, it's time to walk out. Now I know to find out what grocery stores are available in an area BEFORE I go camping there. I didn't find out there are Save-a-lot Stores in the area until AFTER we got home!!!!

Here is a link to a site that lists the ads in the Sunday papers http://www.sundaysaver.com/
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:11 AM   #33

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Don't forget to check out the ads for drug stores also,like Eckerds and CVS they sometimes have good sales on food items. Last week Eckerds had Maxwell house coffee for $1.50,I used .55 off coupons and got "name brand" coffee for .95,better than any deal at a grocery store. CVS has 24 roll count of Northern tp for $4.99 a $1 off coupon came out Sunday so $3.99 or a little over .16 a roll! Both my "houses" are over stocked! Oh,you can find a lot of coupons in stores also,look for the red "blinkie" machines.If you have a store that doubles and the blinkie coupons UPC at the bottom starts with a 5 it will double,even if the coupon has "do not double".It the coupons starts with 9,it won't double.Just a little trade secret!

Dianne
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 06:19 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Allegro Happy:
... Of course there is always Wallmart for cheap stuff... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't forget the Wal Mart parking lot for free camping (er, I mean cheap overnight sleeping).

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:54 PM   #35

If you like pork chops, buy a whole pork loin and cut the chops the way you like them. Cook a few when they are fresh and freeze the rest. Same with steak. Buy a big one or two when the price is right, (I like sirloins) and cut them into meal sized portions. Cook one fresh and freeze the rest.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #36

Have been using Dawn liquid dishwashing soap and Calgon water softener in our tanks for about a year - no odor and the softener puts a slick coating on the tanks and level indicators with no buildup and no odors.

2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
timz61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #37

Us too, Timbo. Dawn and Calgon. I also use a Flush King, which works great! I don't have a built in black tank flushing system, but this works well for us.
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #38

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HighwayRanger:
Us too, Timbo. Dawn and Calgon.

Please share how much Dawn and how much Calgon to use each time...Thanks...Toilet chemicals expensive and not very effective against odors.
Paul and Marg

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:07 PM   #39

I usually just add about a cup of dry or liquid Calgon down the john when I'm backflushing the tank so it will coat the walls when I dump the tank the last time. I use about 1/4 cup of Dawn, and it's most effective when you have a partial tank that is sloshing around during driving. I try to leave several inches of water in the black tank all the time. When it is mostly clear water, the Dawn does a good job sudsing up. Same plan for the gray tank!
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #40

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timz61:
Have been using Dawn liquid dishwashing soap and Calgon water softener in our tanks for about a year - no odor and the softener puts a slick coating on the tanks and level indicators with no buildup and no odors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Grandpa Timbo, Would you also give your quantities of Dawn and Calgon to use in tanks....
Thanks...sounds like what we need..
Paul and Marg

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote