Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2001, 04:20 PM   #1

We will be purchasing a tow truck and 5'er within the next 2 years (sooner if we can manage it!) We are looking forward to being fulltimers but will be on a tight budget. We have lived on a tight budget for the last 6 years so I think we can swing it. The first 6 months, we want to avoid workcamping and see how it all goes at the campgrounds and on the road but eventually will be workcamping. I would like to hear some frugal tips from others on a limited budget. Thanks to all who reply.
Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2001, 04:20 PM   #2

We will be purchasing a tow truck and 5'er within the next 2 years (sooner if we can manage it!) We are looking forward to being fulltimers but will be on a tight budget. We have lived on a tight budget for the last 6 years so I think we can swing it. The first 6 months, we want to avoid workcamping and see how it all goes at the campgrounds and on the road but eventually will be workcamping. I would like to hear some frugal tips from others on a limited budget. Thanks to all who reply.
Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 11:58 PM   #3

Its not too much different than living in a "brick and mortor" but cheaper. I don't know where you will be traveling but we spend most of the winter in the SW. We belong to the Boondockers in SKPs. We have found that boondocking is a life style, not just for the small expense. The last 12 months have cost us $420 in camping fees. Another way to reduce costs is to stay in one place for a week or 2. Cuts down on fuel expense. These are potentially the two greatest expenses we have. Fuel runs us about $150/month. We eat at home most of the time rather than to out ($250 for groceries and $120 eating out). If you want hookups there are parks in AZ that charge $125-150/month plus electricity. One in Bouse, AZ that is either new or recently remodeled is an example. No pools or golf courses but nice parks with good neighbors. I keep track of all expenses on a spreadsheet and consistently come in under $2,000/month (closer to $1,600) unless there is a major expense like a transmission or set of tires or..... (insert anything that could go wrong).

Pat
patsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 06:26 PM   #4

There are two books availabale, Camping under $10, and Free camping. Available at camping world and also on the net. We have found that there are many unlisted city and county parks where camping is very cheap. Of course the amenities are not the same as private parks, but we find there are not usually any other people there expecially on week days. We have found that the free campgrounds in small towns are the most fun. Walk around the town and talk to people, tell them you are at their park, and you have instant new friends.

Cyril

1995 Chevy 454 4.10:1 NuWa Snowbird 30' single slide
Old 08-04-2001, 06:49 AM   #5

I've seen a few posts that Pinesol isn't good for the seals in the valve for the blackwater dump. We have been using Mr. Clean for almost 20 years in our '81 Prowler (6 years full-time) and had to replace the valve only once (and only a couple of years ago) and that was due to the rod rusting and coming out without opening the valve (and I won't go into how much fun it is to replace that valve with a full tank!).

We originally just didn't want to dump anything with formaldehyde into our septic system (it kills the bacteria and stops the system from working properly) and investigated many possibilities. Mr. Clean is pretty cheep and has no petrochemicals or formaldehyde. I use 1/2 bottle with the 2 or 3 gallons I add after a dump. There is never any foul odor. More frugal is using 1/3 bottle (still worked fine). And of course, if you need some cleaning solution, there is always that Mr. Clean bottle under the bathroom sink.
Old 10-23-2001, 08:38 AM   #6

Don't forget to check into camping clubs. We are members of Coast to Coast and we only pay $6 per night. www.coastresorts.com

You have to join a homepark to be eligible, but you can do that as cheaply as $99 per year.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:15 PM   #7

I would like to hear some frugal tips from others on a limited budget. Thanks to all who reply.

Marge, One of the thing that I have found to save money is to eat out less. Also I have quit buying
convenience food and now make everything from scratch.

Workers On The Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 03:00 PM   #8

Always buy a paper on Sunday, You will get store ads. You can always go to a store & ask for a "savers card" and they give it to you right then. I have alot of saver cards...Super Fresh, Giant, Food Lion etc. Of course there is always Wallmart for cheap stuff. I too make my own rather than buy convenience things. You can confiscate(sp) a compartment & buy a rubbermaid tub to store those big bags of noodles, good buys on canned goods, etc. Always look for a buy. Buy a big roast, make it & use the left overs for beef stroginoff, pot roast, etc. If you use ziplocs they will almost lay flat in fridge so you can get more in. Hope this helps

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 01:32 AM   #9

Hi Folks, We are headed out in 4 weeks after planning this for 2 years. We save by eating whats on sale instead of what we crave. This keeps out monthly food budget to about $95. We also stock up at places like Dollar Tree, 99 cents stores, and Dollar General, and of course Wal-Mart. We also plan to travel and sightsee from April to October and then winter over somewhere and work during the cold months. Hope this helps. Come follow us at www.mikeandmelody.com
Happy travlin'

F350 PSD, Duelly, X-Cab, 32' Alumilite 5er, 2 Cats, heading out to full time in the Spring 2002. Getting out of this rat race.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:24 AM   #10

Could you go into more detail of how you do this?
We are planning to go full time and nedd all the help we can get.

Sandra and Robert W

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike & Melody:
This keeps out monthly food budget to about $95
Sandra and Robert W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 11:14 PM   #11

One way to stretch the budget is to plan your travels so that you spend the winter in the southwest, then stay on BLM land in pleasant temperatures while the rest of the country digs out from winter.

There are several BLM Long Term Visitor Areas along the California - Arizona border. Access costs $25 for two weeks or $125 for the 6 month season. All have trash bins, the LTVAs in the Quartzsite and Imperial Dam areas also have water and dump sites available in a central area. Other than that you are on your own - bring a small generator or solar panels for electricity, pick an area and set up camp.

BLM also allows free camping on their land for 14 days at a time outside the LTVAs, but you have to be completely self sufficient. No services are provided - haul in your water, haul out your sewage and trash. After 14 days you have to move at least 25 miles from your previous campsite.

1999 Artic Fox 26X TT
Lou Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 07:49 AM   #12

Buy a Golden Eagle Pass for free access to national parks. One must still pay camping fees but hey its generally much much lower that pvt campgrounds and more rustic.
www.nps/gov or 888goparks
It was 50 for the year.

Frugality can be achieved via infrequent use of restaurants even fast food, slower travel speeds, planning fuel stops, travel with the weather not against it (wind), avoiding premade stuff in the grocery store, drycamping/boon docking, in warm weather use filtered waste cooking oil in the diesel as some folks do! Do preventive maintenance on your rig religiously, check tire pressure, fluid levels, make the changes etc.

Relo to a state with lower taxes, buy a piece of land for home base with a site set up for your rig and/or share one with some friends.

Happy Trails

Love to travel by land, by water and by air
Old 12-29-2002, 09:30 AM   #13

Quote -"Relo to a state with lower taxes, buy a piece of land for home base with a site set up for your rig and/or share one with some friends."

What areas are best to find a cheap home base?

Workers On The Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 05:14 PM   #14

Check out www.taxsites.com/state.html it lists the states and their state & local taxes. I'm not sure what all it lists as I haven't gone thru the entire site. There are other things to think about when picking a state to use as a residence. If you homeschool then you need to pick a state that is friendly to homeschooling. In TN our car tags (including the Bus) is only $24 per year. If your trailer doesn't have a motor then you don't tag it (no tags on our pop-up and cargo trailer). And yes we have been pulled (in NC) and all we said was "In TN we don't tag trailers".
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote