Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:14 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I’m in the “use any paper” camp. We use Quilted Northern. Ten years. Neither RV TP nor single-ply papers are on my list of practical products worth buying.
Important to remember the tank in your RV is a holding tank, not a septic tank. Contents store for perhaps 4-7 days. No substantial decomposition takes place in that short a time.
The No. 1 priority for you is to ensure that your black tank contents will flow freely into the park’s sewer system or septic tank when the time comes. The prime mover for this is water, plain old H2O and plenty of it with each flush. There is a time and place for water conservation, and your RV toilet is not it.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2021, 09:33 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We put no toilet paper in the tanks. And therefore probably will never have tank issues. Put used TP in a free Walmart bag.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:49 PM   #31

I'm in the whatever feels good on your bum camp. Whatever you do don't allow so-called "flushable wipes" in your coach. They may be wipes but they sure aren't flushable. I've retrieved more than one of them at the end of a sewer snake. Need I say more?
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:18 PM   #32

Wife handles the TP thing, all I know is unlike at the sticks and bricks, it is always there. Inventory level never seems to change, it's just stocked there on the platform next to the throne. It's like magic, I've never seen a package and it never runs out, and it's sooffttt.

We use a small bottle of Downy in the tank after we dump, it makes dumping so much easier. Learned it from the wife's cousin, helps break down the paper some how and the stuff just slides right out. I was battling with a lump in the black tank from the previous owners leaving the dump valve open while hooked up in the CG. Second time we doped the tank with Downy I finally had the pleasure of seeing nothing but clear water after flushing for a couple minutes. The biggest thing is using enough water, I actually cheat and put about 5 gallons of clean water in my black tank after dumping and flushing, then Downy & enzyme pack. It compensates for the unintentional water conservation, and movement keeps the tank clean/waste broken up. Everything we use in the tanks is septic safe, I am having a cleanout/dump installed at the sticks and bricks this winter when my 45 year old leach field gets replaced.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I installed a third valve so I can backflush the black tank(55 gal) with the gray tank(100 gal) water. Always dump black first, then feed the gray into the black. Remember gray is soapy water. Because both tanks are at the same level, and water seeks its own level, I can backflush as much as 50 gal of gray into the black. With the second backflush I can transfer another 15-20 gallons of gray. Third and final transfer I leave black tank at least 25% full(with gray water) which will slosh around while driving and prevent any solid mounds building up. Gray water is free and available, no need for additives. Never have any sewer smells. It's simple and has worked for us.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #34

I’m fairly convinced “RV toilet paper” is a solution looking for a problem.

We’ve used Charmin Ultra Soft, full-timing in the motorhome for the past 4 years. ZERO issues…just use a normal amount of water.

We dump the black tank weekly, and after each dump I put in a dose of Odorlos Holding Tank Treatment. While it may or may not help with breaking down toilet paper, it certainly helps with odor.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
I’m fairly convinced “RV toilet paper” is a solution looking for a problem.

We’ve used Charmin Ultra Soft, full-timing in the motorhome for the past 4 years. ZERO issues…just use a normal amount of water.

We dump the black tank weekly, and after each dump I put in a dose of Odorlos Holding Tank Treatment. While it may or may not help with breaking down toilet paper, it certainly helps with odor.
The only problem solved by RV toilet paper is one of how to increase profits for the manufacturers and dealers! PT Barnum was right...
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
The only problem solved by RV toilet paper is one of how to increase profits for the manufacturers and dealers! PT Barnum was right...
+1..
Old 12-06-2021, 07:59 AM   #37

Like others have said…… TP into FREE plastic bag then dumpster….. Also use lots of WATER….
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:14 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff-Happens View Post
Like others have said…… TP into FREE plastic bag then dumpster….. Also use lots of WATER….
I've travelled internationally for much of my career, and have been in places where that is the case (if it's not poop or pee, it goes into a can/bag next to the throne). Not pleasant...but commonplace in many places that do not have modern sewer/septic systems.

The #1 thing that clogs sewer lines (and our RV holding/discharge systems) is tossing "flushable" wipes into the toilet. One of many articles on this: Flushable Wipes Clogging Sewers. I had to deal with this in a few of our stick-and-brick homes over the years.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:55 PM   #39

Paper??

We use regular toilet paper and wet wipes, throw them in a small trash can with a liner and change the bag daily. Don't have to worry about clogging anything up!
dllhipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
RV toilets are great money makers for people who make associated products like TP and black tank additive. As noted above, plenty of water is the key to RV use. Any TP will work with lots of water. The only additive I use is Calgon beads to make the tank sides slippery to assist in draining. The idea you need an odor control substance in the black tank makes no sense....you don't use one at home. If your toilet is properly installed and operated, you shouldn't need it in an RV tank either.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:19 AM   #41

Maybe some of it depends on your system. Our toilet dumps directly into the black tank and our black tank is right at the outside edge of the rig with the dump valve right there. Very easy to dump and back flush a bit if needed, never had anything get stuck or hung up and not picky about what we put in there.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #42

Single ply? Only time I use that is when I have to stay in a hotel and that is all they have.

Charmin Ultra Soft works great. No clogs.
Every now and then I'll do the dish soap and some Calgon water softener.
The ice cube thing doesn't work either.

Tags
toilet