Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Without a toad we would NOT own a MH - we are very active hikers and just getting to some of the trail heads requires a 4 wheel drive vehicle. We typically put more miles on the toad than the MH - even on longer trips.

We tend to stay at one place for 10-14 days, explore the area with the toad, hike as many trails as we can and then move on to the next "base station".
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
I always thought my Auto insurance on the RV was an Auto policy and thus would be treated as an auto policy.. Found out that is not the case.. Nationwide does not consider it an auto policy.

By Law in my State of Registration... If I rent a car, my AUTO insurance is extended to cover the rental... If I buy a car, It too is covered for a period of days in order to enable me to get to the agent and sign a new policy.

Turns out that Nationwide won't honor the RV policy for a new car or rental.. Thankfully it was relatively painless finding that out.. And painful but for different reasons.
Your auto policy includes the "definition" of an auto and few RVs will qualify. Likewise, your RV policy will clearly lay out under what circumstances you may have coverage for a non-owned vehicle and will describe any criteria that must be met for coverage to extend. An RVs typical design and use are infrequently similar to an "auto" (again, defined in your policy) and most states and insurers will place them in different actuarial catagories. The problem, as I see it, is in not understanding your policy. You certainly are not unique in that and I blame agents for not helping to educate their clients and those clients for not reading the policy.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Good plan, Carefree. I like stick in one area for a while too.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:43 PM   #74

First of all, we're not full timers. We're at 50 per cent and probably won't get to full timing. First 2 years of RVing we didn't 't tow. We would rent if we needed a car. After we retired our trips got longer and to me it made sense to tow.

We're currently volunteering at a NWR for 5 months. It's about 20 miles each way for anything over some pretty rough roads. I wouldn't want to have to take the RV every time we need groceries.

As mentioned, it's a personal decision. Having tried it both ways, we will two.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #75

Done both and decided, if we are visiting friends and family, we take the car. If we are out camping and exploring we take the RV.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #76
PKI

We think we can function without a toad. Our RV style is different from other folks. We travel as opposed to camp. RV will be small enough to go where we want to visit. We think it will expand our opportunities as opposed to limiting them. Good luck with your decision.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
We think we can function without a toad. Our RV style is different from other folks. We travel as opposed to camp. RV will be small enough to go where we want to visit. We think it will expand our opportunities as opposed to limiting them. Good luck with your decision.
I think he probably has already made his decision by now. OP 2010
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #78
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
I think he probably has already made his decision by now. OP 2010
Yes, but we are still considering. Would appreciate your thoughts on the issue.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
What can I say, We're too active to just sit in a Rocking Chairs and do nothing all day!
Totally Agree with you here...I love RVing but NOT just to sit around in camp all day. Since we don't have a toad (although I do have a 2000 Rodeo and have IM'd you about how to tow an automatic) we bring our bikes and always try to put in 3 or 4 hours of good riding (longer on some days).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
I've been retired 3 1/2 years now and the wife is just about to join me. We have a list of some of our favorite places we want to stay longer at. Soon we'll be able to!
In fact, she's up in the gym walking on the treadmill getting ready for some long hikes right now!
It's been a long time coming, with a lot of preparation and sacrifice to get to this point!
SOOOOO Happy for the both of you! I have another couple of years before I retire but I'm not waiting on the wife to retire, as soon as I turn 65 I'M OUTTA HERE! WOOHOO! (to be clear, BOTH of us)

Oh..I wanted to ask about the 20 forward gears and 6 reverse...huh? What? You can IM me since it might hijack the thread.

THANKS!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:52 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I swore I would never own a Motorhome, my camper was good enough. Although I will say that we enjoyed our Moterhome without slides, who needs slides anyway? Now that we have slides I found that we really didnt need a Toad, what for? Since we now have our Honda CR V toad we have found it very useful for sightseeing and side trips we are able to take because we are not encumbered with pets. We decided a long time ago, no pets! Now that we have Sophie our little Maltese terrier mix we have decided to never say never again!!! Amazing the natural progression of life.

Yes! Never say never, once you do it happens.
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #81

Which is why we have a truck camper 🤗🌞
Miah is offline   Reply With Quote