Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2020, 02:20 AM   #1

Would you buy an RV with signs of mice?

My family and I are in the process of hopefully purchasing a used 5th wheel soon to live in full time. It seems to be in pretty decent shape for a 2006. HOWEVER...when we went back to look at it yesterday we found mouse droppings. The mouse droppings were under the kitchen sink, in the bottom of the tv cabinet, and potential signs of nests in the air vents on the floor. So far, this is the best RV we have been able to find within our budget. We are worried about potential issues arising from the mice (i.e. electrical issues, allergens, etc.), but we really like the RV otherwise.

Is it still worth it to buy this RV, or should we just keep looking? If there's any possibility it would still be worth our time/money, would anyone have any suggestions regarding how to proceed with the price, taking care of the problem, looking for other potential issues, etc.? Thanks in advance!
WasserPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2020, 04:45 AM   #2

NO I would not.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:02 AM   #3

Seller didn't prep the RV to sell by thoroughly cleaning the interior and exterior. Had he did, then potential buyers would not have seen the mice poop.
So no, I would not buy.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:06 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heavily discounted I might but probably not. A dead mouse deep in some cavity could have a rather unique smell that you really don't want to experience.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:18 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Mice can cause a lot of issues that won't pop up til later. Chewed wires, droppings, tunneling in insulation, not to mention the dead critter smell thats very hard to get rid of. I would probably pass unless it's a fantastic deal. If he couldn't keep it cleaned up enough to sell it thats a sign of an active herd living there.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:57 AM   #6

A friend of mine recently bought what appeared to be a very nice motor home. Shortly after buying the rig he found that it had been occupied by rodents. He has since found that numerous electrical systems as well as his ducting systems have been damaged or destroyed. Repairs will be VERY costly.

I would be very weary of considering the purchase of any RV that has signs of a rodent infestation...
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:05 PM   #7

It really is a question of the extent of mouse damage, I would not say it is a show stopper, but it certainly is something worthy of further investigation. One mouse that came in on a cold night is different than an ongoing mouse infestation.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:18 PM   #8

EVERY RV ever built is a possible mouse house!
Old 10-15-2020, 04:57 PM   #9

Actually, when I was shopping for my first class A I discovered I was more repulsed by the number of RVs that has signs of people in them. I'm not joking. I saw a lot of filthy and messy RVs for sale.

It's really hard to judge the extent of the infestation unless you do a thorough inspection. I'd be willing to bet most used RVs have seen at least some mice activity.

FYI: If you do get one that has droppings, don't vacuum up the little turds. Some species of mice - Deer mice, White Footed Mouse - are known carriers of Hantavirus and they excrete the virus in their waste. Always wet clean mouse droppings and urine. A mixture of bleach water works. Here's a link to the CDC site for rodent clean-up.

https://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/index.html
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #10

We had been looking for a used travel trailer for several years, checking out any and all affordable, with a suitable floor plan, size, weight etc.. We inspected several with evidence and sometimes smell of previous rodent occupation... but you really have to know where to look. Especially units that have been stored for some time in remote locations. Even ants will climb tall grasses or weeds under trailers and find a hole, make a nest... and a mess. (discovered this first hand). Mice can slip through the smallest openings... if you have holes, I recommend filling with steel wool, then seal with silicone... nothing chews through that combo that I know of.
CARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:20 PM   #11

I would not buy anything ( especially an RV or boat ) that the seller didn't care enough about to make it presentable. If it was cleaned up and the signs you saw were quickly present then it is a serious infestation.
As has already been said it would have to be really bargain basement for me to show any interest at all and even then maybe not. ( oh ya, wife would have been out of that thing in a heartbeat, in the car & waiting to leave )
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:53 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
At least they aren't hiding the fact that mice have got inside.

Over the years I haven't met many people that have never had mice in their rig.

Clean-up can be easy to nearly impossible, so take a good look and see if any signs of nests are anywhere. Nests are a bad thing, meaning the mice have spent too much time inside.

A few droppings from a short visit can be cleaned up pretty easy.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:59 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
My motor home is 22 years Old. Twice I have had mice make a nest in the winter. No lingering problems. Just check all systems and make sure everything works.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #14

Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
My motor home is 22 years Old. Twice I have had mice make a nest in the winter. No lingering problems. Just check all systems and make sure everything works.
This is it. Signs, VS long term infestations. You could consider it an opportunity for getting a better deal. But you better know what your getting for the money.

It's not an all or nothing situation.

good luck.
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice