Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations > Family Camping RV (FCRV)
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:12 PM   #1

So what do you do about reservations? We stayed home for Memorial Day weekend after about the sixth place I tried was booked. Do you have to plan your stays a year ahead?? I thought the "freedom" of RVing included a loose itinerary. Since we're traveling with kids, I don't want to load up without a good chance of finding a place to stay.

I don't have reservations for July 4th weekend yet either and I'm pretty nervous about it. I'd rather not work around the house again. Do you have ideas?
tony566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2005, 05:12 PM   #2

So what do you do about reservations? We stayed home for Memorial Day weekend after about the sixth place I tried was booked. Do you have to plan your stays a year ahead?? I thought the "freedom" of RVing included a loose itinerary. Since we're traveling with kids, I don't want to load up without a good chance of finding a place to stay.

I don't have reservations for July 4th weekend yet either and I'm pretty nervous about it. I'd rather not work around the house again. Do you have ideas?
tony566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:26 PM   #3

Welcome Tony 566, yes for the holiday weekends you always have to book about 1 year in advance. That is the time when most people go camping. CAn you try close to home? What about state parks on a first come first serve basis, I don't know how VA handles that. Good luck

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:38 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Tony 566,

I also like the spontanous trips, however at least for holiday weekends you might try this site ...

http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/co...s/usamaps.html

it's for using the reservation system, but also gives you some ideas for campgrounds. I used it the Tuesday before Memorial day to find a spot here in Colorado.

Howard
Howard Rawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:42 AM   #5

Welcome Howard Rawley. Thanks for the info, so you snuck in and didn't want to get welcomed? I found you any way and WELCOME

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Tony,

Make reservations now for July 4th weekend. I'm sorry to say that there is really no other answer. I too was almost left out for Memorial Day weekend. The group I was camping with had all reserved full-hook up, pull-through sites. When I called to book my site, the receptionist told me that there were no sites left with my group of friends. I was bummed. Then the friend who headed up the campout emailed me to say that there were W/E sites available near their sites. I was happy again and made my reservation pronto!

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #7

They just started taking reservations at Kentucky State Parks this season. It has been a real mess so far! It will take a season or two to get it running smoothly. They really needed ti do it though. On a holiday weekend, you would have to have your campsite the weekend before and have a camper on it to get one for the holiday. That was quite expensive to pay for a site all week that you weren't using. It was getting vicious! I really think reservations are the best way to go in the long run. I do feel that they should hold back some sites for people who just want to go on the spur of the moment.

Sassy the Bischon Frise
Captain Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I reserve only for our destination places. A destination place is defined as one week stay (or more). All other stops are done after lunch on the day of arrival. We do not RV during major holidays.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Holidays are when all the non-campers come out of the woodwork. There is no other way out of it. Our IRV2 group (Pond Piggies) just finished making 8 reservations for Memorial Day weekend last week. We were lucky to get the last few sites at a northwestern state park. I guess if your able to plan your off days way a head of time it works out for ya. If it wasn't for our group of IRV2'er getting the ball rolling way ahead of time we would not camp Holiday weekends. We as of yet have never camped the 4th of July Weekend.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote