Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #15

rhqjr-- thanks for the heads up.. those are the types of stories I am very interested in and customer service post purchase has to be high up on the list.. much appreciated.

TeeJay-- Thanks for sharing- looks like I am going to have to take a longer look at MHs.. I talked to a friend last night who works on MHs and TTs and he said there was not really a TT he could vouch for as far as reliability and durability.. disappointing news but I most definitely appreciate the honesty..

And for sure I will have a pro tech inspect the RV new or used before I pay $$$$

thanks amigos
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #16

Some RV's are warrantied for fulltime use, so I would focus on those, otherwise you may have a problem getting things fixed if they find out you are staying in it fulltime. When we did our research, we planned on staying at campsites for a month or more, so we went with a 5'er, but it you will be travelling a lot, then an A or C would be better. In addition, if storage is a concern, an A has more than a 5'er. The 5th wheels you mentioned are excellent, you may also look into a Heartland RV: Landmark, Big Country, or Big Horn which are all warrantied for fulltime use. We own a Landmark, which is their highest end RV and has a 2/5 yr warranty. If you want good inside info about any of the RV's, most have their own forums where you can get a good idea about what owners think of their RV, and how well the company deals with problems. Heartland has excellent customer service, just like Excel and DRV.
Another area that also requires research is the dealer. Find one that has not just a good rep, but a great rep. You do not want to deal with one that sells you the RV then forgets about you. We drove 500 miles to go to a specific dealer in Knoxville that only sells Landmarks and DRVs, the owner even gave us his cell phone number that we could call if we had and questions or problems.. Wish you the best in your decision, and you MMA matches.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #17

Before we went full time, we went to a great seminar/rally about full time living. There were a number of solo RV'ers there. Here is the website of "RV Dreams" and the rally info can be found there. Could RV Living Be Your Dream? Let's Find Out!!
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #18

Oh btw, most quality 5th wheels, like our Landmark have auto leveling just like MHs. Once we backed in, it took us all of like 5 mins to unhitch and level the Landmark. Mine has a system that when leaving, just have to hold two buttons and it will automatically lower the 5'er to where it was last unhitched, so it is at the right height to hook back up to the hitch. But you will only find these systems on higher end 5er's. So, the "why???" that MH folks like to use should only apply if you plan on travelling a lot or need more storage. If you are planning to stay at campsites for a month or more then give me a quality 5er any day for its room and comfort.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
Not sure I follow on the business asset needing an accoutant
Although I'm not an accountant, there are likely ways that you can purchase your RV and the cost of it could be a deduction against your future income. When I purchased and financed a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star, the interest was deductible as the Motorhome was considered my "second" residence.

So the point here by contacting a confident and licensed Accountant you may be able to significantly and legally reduce future income tax.

Also, if you are considering a Motorhome, don't overlook Newmars. I've owned four of them and have been very happy with each.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #20

Serengeti-- Thank you for the excellent tips and insight! I plan on moving at more of a "monthly" pace as well, so Im kind of leaning back towards a 5er again. Really appreciate you sharing your thoughts and exp. Will look more at Heartland and start researching dealers... Im in Albuquerque right now... frequently in TX but will travel for right dealer.

Selah--- thanks for sharing! that sounds like a great idea! especially for a noob like me

dan-- Ahh ok gotcha-- and I do believe you are correct. I'll start looking into it. thanks!
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #21

I live solo full-time in a class C, but given your situation I think I would try a used 5er and try that out.

Spend as little as possible now until you are sure you like the lifestyle and are sure what you want.

I love the lifestyle myself, good luck! Btw I don't think either option is bad or wrong.
kyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:27 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
We've had three MH's and three TT's. If I were doing what you are planning I'd opt for a MH about 30' with a decent TOAD for when you are at a location and need to hit the town.

WHY?? A MH is much easier to set up and take down as stated. With the use of slides and automatic jacks most any MH when parked has ample living space. While traveling it's much easier to stop just about anywhere for lunch stretching etc. If you were visiting a gym or training facility most any spot out back would work and 110-V hookup would set you up. Having a genny would also help if 110-V is needed and you can't find or don't have a 110-V hook-up.

Your fuel mileage will be about the same for either a TT or a MH. But as stated when parked your TV will be lower mileage than a TOAD. Our TOAD is a 2002 CIVIC that get 38 MPG.

I have never been happy with the build quality of TT's The suspension systems and tires are marginal at best. Our last TT had two 3,000 LB axles for a total of 6,000-LBS and our trailer was rated to carry 7,000-LBS. The suspensions systems typically use plastic bushings and no lubrication points.

You should be able to find a decent used unit for what you want. I'd pay to have a quality technician look one over before you buy. It will be $$$$ well spent.

TeJay

I too have had both and I agree 100% MH. Piece of cake to set up. I put my blocks down get in and level it depending on the campground whether I put blocks down or not. I was looking at 28' to 32' and ended up getting a 36' and my wife drives it that ought to tell you something. Now working on the best toad to pull.
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time