Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #1

1st Post-- Looking to go full time (mostly solo) w/ no exp-- Would really appreciate

Hello all!

It has been a pleasure and very helpful reading/doing research on these forums. I continue to be impressed by the willingness to help others in the rv community.

Background: I am a 28 year old male and seriously looking at going full timing in an rv instead of signing up for another lease. I have been a professional mma fighter for the last 3 years-- I dont have to stay in one location, so I would like to travel all over the country to train and fight as I have no real baggage.. no wife, no kids, etc..

Got the idea from a friend of mine who has been doing the same thing for a few years now in a Class A--- For financial and practical reasons, it seems to me personally, that a 5th wheel would suit me best but I am open to feedback on "type."

I have been looking at preowned Excel, DRV, Thor/redwood, and a couple other brands.. (I have a supposed hook up on Forest River Products.. not sure if they are best for full-timing...?)

31-34' long.. (maybe 35' or 36'-- limits on parks you can goto? too big for mostly solo?)

Will trade for truck when I have a better idea of weight of 5er.. but so far eyeing f350s and gmc 3500

Any other info that would help--- feel free to ask...

Thanks in advance and hope everyone has a great day!

Sincerely,
Hunter
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
Community Moderator

What is your budget?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #4

Budget: (ballpark) up to 50k for RV.. not sure If i want to buy outright or finance yet... Feedback on this would be appreciated as well..
Old 06-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Seems like a class C or class A motorhome might be best. That way you can pull a car behind and drive that car for transportation. If you go the 5th wheel route, you would be stuck driving that big truck with its low MPG as your daily driver.

Motorhomes are also quicker to get setup, and easier to just pull over at rest stops and Walmarts to rest. If you ever have a friend with you, the motorhome bathroom and kitchen can be used while underway, while the trailer facilities cannot.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #6

Spacemonkey:

Welcome to the Forum and as to the type of RV you should buy is really basically what you want to deal with. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. We decided 5 years ago to go fulltiming and looked at so many types of RV's that we lost count. We finally decided on a MH and pull a small car behind it. We planned to move about every 2 weeks once we start traveling. We also needed something that would hold all of our junk. LOL A Diesel Pusher Motorhome fit the bill for us.

However, if we were going to sit for months at one location, we would have gone with a 5th wheel.

Good luck on whatever you decide and let us know. Best of luck.

Happy RV'ing
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Here is one example to ponder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401919603.571533.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	64596

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401919668.405753.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	64597
Old 06-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #8

thanks for the feedback

good point pasadad.. ill revisit the "type" pros and cons for my situation..

thanks myshaggydog- For the most part i plan on being places 1-2 months at a time with stints of shorter stays when traveling to other regions (or for getaways)

for ex. planning on going to chicago area for 2 months and then working my way down south toward fla for winter.

Also factors in my assesment that a 5er may be my best bet...
-living space
-storage space
-cost
-no experience with class A driving
-can park and use rv if truck needs work
-safer and more secure traveling compared to bumper pull
-"feels" like home in certain 5ers

if anything else helps feel free to ask... thanks again
Old 06-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #9

I will check those out.. have heard good things about newmar.. thank you
Old 06-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #10

Hi Spacemonkey and welcome!

I don't know if this will apply if you buy used, but if you ever did decide to buy new remember there is a clause in the warrenty that says something like "This vehicle is intended for recreational use. Any long term or excessive use will contitute out of the ordinary use and will void your warrenty" I am not sure of the exact language, but you get the general idea. So, basically, if you announce to a service technician that you "full time" they can report it and the warrenty company can refuse to pay for the repairs. Buying used RVs usually don't come with any factory warrenty left, but sometimes the dealership will offer a limited warrenty.
I guess, the main thing is do your research BEFORE you buy. Don't buy "a price tag". Meaning just because it is a good price, sometimes a bad purchase it will cost you a fortune in the long run!
Also, in some states (not sure which) the sales tax on the truck can be taken off of your income tax because "the 5th wheel can't move without the truck". If you were going to consider this, check it out with your tax person to make sure the deduction applies to you or your state.
Good Luck!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Welcome Spacemonkey,

In my first read of your OP I thought, hmmm, this sounds like a business asset needing advice from an accountant on how that could be leveraged. Perhaps not but that was my immediate reaction to your situation.

Being a class A owner I'm a bit biased, but I agree with others about driving an f350 or gmc 3500 around town - that would be its own challenge.

Good luck in your choice, either approach sounds neat…
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #12

thanks rknola-- and definitely a good point about full timing and warranty issues.. If I get new, I would hope to be getting an RV that is built for full time and hopefully has a warranty for FT. Have seen some with 2 yr FT warranty. If I buy used I would hope to purchase a warranty suited for FT use.

if all else failed and I did not have FT coverage -- then its just "recreational..."

thank you bokobird-- Not sure I follow on the business asset needing an accoutant -- but the Class A with smaller vehicle does seem very convienant.. I suppose ill have to drive around in big pick ups some more to be sure.

Appreciate the feedback and the welcomes
Old 06-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #13

I would not buy a new DRV as mine is problematic. Most new ones have lots of issues I have 2 friends who sold their late model DRV and purchased Motor Homes because of the problems. go to this blog to see the problems Steve Conrad had. Puppy Paths: The Start Of Our DRV Elite Suite RVing Journey!! below is an excerpt from Steve Conrads blog

My point is that many of DRV's business practices are unethical, at times deceptive and dishonest, and reflect a lack of integrity. DRV's continuing to build and sell a product with know defective parts, hiding shoddy work, bending the slide "T" molding, and refusing to make safety recalls is my basis for this position. David Fought, DRV's owner, to date, has shown no concern for us or our issues. There has been no follow-up on his part since our meeting on April 10, 2012. I found Mr. Fought to be pretentious, unapologetic, rude, crude and unconcerned despite the fact that we have purchased two of his RVs and have spent over $200,000 on his products since April 2010. We have spent over two months in his parking lot and we did not meet until my requested sit down on April 3. He has never inspected my unit.No followup on his part or from anyone at DRV.

After being in a room with Mr. Fought, I felt dirty. Again, no apologies came out of his mouth. A conscience was not present. I am not saying David Fought is a shyster or a charlatan. I will let the reader be his or her own judge.
rhqjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've had three MH's and three TT's. If I were doing what you are planning I'd opt for a MH about 30' with a decent TOAD for when you are at a location and need to hit the town.

WHY?? A MH is much easier to set up and take down as stated. With the use of slides and automatic jacks most any MH when parked has ample living space. While traveling it's much easier to stop just about anywhere for lunch stretching etc. If you were visiting a gym or training facility most any spot out back would work and 110-V hookup would set you up. Having a genny would also help if 110-V is needed and you can't find or don't have a 110-V hook-up.

Your fuel mileage will be about the same for either a TT or a MH. But as stated when parked your TV will be lower mileage than a TOAD. Our TOAD is a 2002 CIVIC that get 38 MPG.

I have never been happy with the build quality of TT's The suspension systems and tires are marginal at best. Our last TT had two 3,000 LB axles for a total of 6,000-LBS and our trailer was rated to carry 7,000-LBS. The suspensions systems typically use plastic bushings and no lubrication points.

You should be able to find a decent used unit for what you want. I'd pay to have a quality technician look one over before you buy. It will be $$$$ well spent.

TeJay

Tags
full time