Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schoenberg View Post
If memory serves me, the subsidy is based on your health insurance premium being no more that 9% of your gross income. True....you are paying full price but the good news is that you earn a nice income. There are worse problems.
Since the exchange never asked what our income is (only checked a box saying more than $65k a year) I don't see how premiums are capped at 9% of income. Either way, is it really FAIR to price health insurance on income vs. lifestyle?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #58

Not really pricing the product based on your income, only who pays for it. The subsidy if any is based on your income and has nothing to do with 9%. They validate the subsidy when you file tax return, and some people who fudged get a big surprise. Last year I did not get a subsidy, paid $1,667 a month for the two of us which was over 20% of income. There are exceptions available as I recall that if your premiums exceed N% of income you don't have to buy. But in our case we would be taking big risks not to have it.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #59

I really wanted to retire at age 62 or even earlier. When I saw that it would cost me and my wife over $1600 a month, I knew I would be working to 65. Fortunately my new employer had employee group insurance. Now it's Medicare for both of us, along with a supplement. Sadly, for folks in their late 50's to early 60's, you suddenly find out that if you are middle or upper middle class, retiring could be very costly.

I got laid off from a lifetime career in the the 2000's. Part of my retirement benefit was to include 80% paid medical insurance until I was medicare eligible. I was laid off, along with many of my older counterparts, just under the vesting period to get that benefit. Basically, the corporation knew that they could not afford to keep their promised benefit package. They gave us a severance stipend on the condition that we agreed not to sue.... or you could forgo the severance payout and take your chances with the courts. Younger people filled our jobs. Shortly there after the medical benefit was removed forever.

This just seems to be the trend nowadays. I would expect all employers to end group medical insurance with ACA, if they even still do offer it.

In the end, working to almost age 66 was not a bad thing. That is probably why I have a MH now.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
I really wanted to retire at age 62 or even earlier. When I saw that it would cost me and my wife over $1600 a month, I knew I would be working to 65. Fortunately my new employer had employee group insurance. Now it's Medicare for both of us, along with a supplement. Sadly, for folks in their late 50's to early 60's, you suddenly find out that if you are middle or upper middle class, retiring could be very costly.

I got laid off from a lifetime career in the the 2000's. Part of my retirement benefit was to include 80% paid medical insurance until I was medicare eligible. I was laid off, along with many of my older counterparts, just under the vesting period to get that benefit. Basically, the corporation knew that they could not afford to keep their promised benefit package. They gave us a severance stipend on the condition that we agreed not to sue.... or you could forgo the severance payout and take your chances with the courts. Younger people filled our jobs. Shortly there after the medical benefit was removed forever.

This just seems to be the trend nowadays. I would expect all employers to end group medical insurance with ACA, if they even still do offer it.

In the end, working to almost age 66 was not a bad thing. That is probably why I have a MH now.
Actually group employer rates have stabilized or gone down. It use to be that individual plans were 20% lower than group. Now it's reversed.

-Greg
Greg Schoenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgeekgal View Post
I am 58 years old and have never been without health insurance, but I am really struggling over the idea of paying over $1000 a month for coverage that does not pay a dime until we've met a $6350 per person deductible.

I'm seriously considering going without healthcare for the 1st time in my life, thanks ACA. What's ironic about that is we will still end up paying a $4k annual fee to the government for not having insurance. The government penalty is higher than we were paying for decent coverage before ACA.
I'm guessing that your $6350 "deductible" is actually $6850 -- and it's the maximum OOP for an individual. So if your deductible is actually $6850, then your insurance company want to make sure it gets your max OOP from you right from the getgo.

Go without health insurance? Not a good idea. Oh, you're and the Mrs are in "good health" . . . right, until you're not.

We were paying $1150 for just my wife's AZ PPO plan. Outrageous! Until she needed major surgery to the tune of $70K. We ended up paying $6850 (max OOP) + the premiums of course. Long story short -- we came out WAY ahead.

Finally, a guy with a 2009 DP complaining about health insurance payments -- give us a break!
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:49 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I'm guessing that your $6350 "deductible" is actually $6850 -- and it's the maximum OOP for an individual. So if your deductible is actually $6850, then your insurance company want to make sure it gets your max OOP from you right from the getgo.

Go without health insurance? Not a good idea. Oh, you're and the Mrs are in "good health" . . . right, until you're not.

We were paying $1150 for just my wife's AZ PPO plan. Outrageous! Until she needed major surgery to the tune of $70K. We ended up paying $6850 (max OOP) + the premiums of course. Long story short -- we came out WAY ahead.

Finally, a guy with a 2009 DP complaining about health insurance payments -- give us a break!
For 2017:

FL Blue's Blue Options Bronze (HSA) Plan 1705 does have a $6350 deductible/max OOP in-network.

http://www.bcbsfl.com/DocumentLibrar...301.1473051604

Blue Options Bronze Plan 1419 is slightly cheaper per month, but it's deductible and max OOP is $7150, which is over the max to qualify as a HSA plan. Plan 1419 did have a $6,850 deductible/OOP in 2016, but has increased to $7,150 for 2017.

Sue
Old 11-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
These monsterous deductibles and prices are beyond my comprehension. I retired at age 57 in 1994 with the Teamsters. My insurance is going up to $116.00 a month with no deductibles, and it pays everything that Medicare doesn't cover. I hope that the coverage outlasts me. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
These monsterous deductibles and prices are beyond my comprehension. I retired at age 57 in 1994 with the Teamsters. My insurance is going up to $116.00 a month with no deductibles, and it pays everything that Medicare doesn't cover. I hope that the coverage outlasts me. Eddie Elk.
Turning 65 and getting on Medicare is almost as good as turning 21.

-Greg
Old 11-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #65

(Mod Edit)

What states have ACA BCBS PPO health plans with nationwide coverage for 2017?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #66

Quote:
What states have ACA BCBS PPO health plans with nationwide coverage for 2017?
To my knowledge, Washington (off Exchange only), Oregon, and Florida. SD, AZ, and Texas do not. Not sure about other states.

-Greg
Old 11-04-2016, 11:37 PM   #67

Quote:
To my knowledge, Washington (off Exchange only), Oregon, and Florida. SD, AZ, and Texas do not. Not sure about other states.
Then how can you say you're "very familiar with all things ACA"?
Old 11-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #68

Quote:
Then how can you say you're "very familiar with all things ACA"?

He must have become "very familiar with all things ACA" overnight, since I had already pointed out he was wrong about FL when he said FL didn't have any nationwide plans. (see page three and four of this thread).

Here's a List of BCBS Plans for anyone who wants to research which ones have nationwide networks.

Sue
Old 11-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Turning 65 and getting on Medicare is almost as good as turning 21.

-Greg
Counting the days...
Old 11-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saydiver View Post

He must have become "very familiar with all things ACA" overnight, since I had already pointed out he was wrong about FL when he said FL didn't have any nationwide plans. (see page three and four of this thread).

Here's a List of BCBS Plans for anyone who wants to research which ones have nationwide networks.

Sue
In Nevada the available BCBS plans are HMO only, nationwide coverage is for emergency and urgent care only (see attachment).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 8.54.59 AM.png
Views:	82
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	143574  

Tags
insurance