Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #113

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Here's a new twist, one I never heard of. We just got a letter saying our part B premiums are going to be double for 2016, we are going to owe almost $3000 more. Obviously we are over 65 not under.

Yes my husband was a high earner before retiring, but did you know they do a 2 year look back? I sure missed that one. We are going to SS next
week and talk to them as we are wondering if they will do the same for next year, I've read over the rules a couple of times and can't get it straight in my mind yet. He retired end of 2015. I thought because it was considered a life changing event Dec of 2015 we weren't subject to it. Now I'm reading the same will happen with my worthless part D, will likely pay double for it too.

They actually said in the letter if this payment is more then the SS benefit you get let us know so you can make payment arrangements, now that's big of them. LOL! Yes with our premiums and the scripts I pay out of pocket for, those alone are $3600 a year we are paying more, then I get in SS by quite a few dollars. Wonder what would happen if someone was bankrupt now or had become really ill and used up their savings what would happen. I am upset because I missed this one, I usually am thorough and don't have surprises like this. Sure not happy about it.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schoenberg View Post
Your assumption is incorrect about Exchange Blue Cross plans all having access to nationwide networks.
I never said that.

Quote:
As for Oregon, it is the only state I'm aware of that has multiple carriers within the Exchange offering national networks . . .
Sure, that's great, more is better, but you only need one national network carrier in a state, like Florida for example -- which has no income tax.

But you're only licensed to sell in WA, OR, SD, TX, and not in FL, right?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I never said that.

Sure, that's great, more is better, but you only need one national network carrier in a state, like Florida for example -- which has no income tax.

But you're only licensed to sell in WA, OR, SD, TX, and not in FL, right?
You used the word "assumed."

Wrong. I'm licensed to sell in Florida. You also missed Arizona.

Greg
Greg Schoenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #116

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
Here's a new twist, one I never heard of. We just got a letter saying our part B premiums are going to be double for 2016, we are going to owe almost $3000 more. Obviously we are over 65 not under.

Yes my husband was a high earner before retiring, but did you know they do a 2 year look back? I sure missed that one. We are going to SS next
week and talk to them as we are wondering if they will do the same for next year, I've read over the rules a couple of times and can't get it straight in my mind yet. He retired end of 2015. I thought because it was considered a life changing event Dec of 2015 we weren't subject to it. Now I'm reading the same will happen with my worthless part D, will likely pay double for it too.

They actually said in the letter if this payment is more then the SS benefit you get let us know so you can make payment arrangements, now that's big of them. LOL! Yes with our premiums and the scripts I pay out of pocket for, those alone are $3600 a year we are paying more, then I get in SS by quite a few dollars. Wonder what would happen if someone was bankrupt now or had become really ill and used up their savings what would happen. I am upset because I missed this one, I usually am thorough and don't have surprises like this. Sure not happy about it.
I'm in the same boat, I pay much more than I had planned on for Medicare because we made too much money. This year we will be dropping our income way down, we were told they look at it each year and it will eventually drop back. We'll see but I don't hold much hope.
Rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:54 PM   #117

Quote:
I'm licensed to sell in Florida. You also missed Arizona.
I was going by the states listed after your name on the RVer Insurance Exchange web site. So that web site needs updating?
Old 11-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #118

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
They were looking at our income from 2014!! So 2015 will be like that too. I can't see how it will go down till 2018, that's just crazy. Our income now is 1/3 what he made and now we are paying out a lot more. So we worked hard, saved, planned. I can't help it that some people can't pay, don't mind a helping hand but really?

Like he says if it has to be paid we will pay it but somehow doesn't seem right. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #119

Quote:
I was going by the states listed after your name on the RVer Insurance Exchange web site. So that web site needs updating?
No. The web site clearly states that we do not have sufficient time for one on one consultations, except for the states we listed. I hope that changes next year.

Nonetheless I answer all emails addressed to me, regardless of domicile, seeking to be a resource. That's one reason I'm here. Another is that I love all things RV-ing and wish I were doing it full time.

Greg
Greg Schoenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #120

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
They were looking at our income from 2014!! So 2015 will be like that too. I can't see how it will go down till 2018, that's just crazy. Our income now is 1/3 what he made and now we are paying out a lot more. So we worked hard, saved, planned. I can't help it that some people can't pay, don't mind a helping hand but really?

Like he says if it has to be paid we will pay it but somehow doesn't seem right. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Appreciate the heads up, I'd been thinking this would all go away once we turned 65 but apparently that's not a given either. We'd planned to draw down our IRA funds between now & 62 since our tax bracket will rise even more once our SS funds kick in, but now it sounds like to do so will just increase our medicare premiums post 65, sigh.

We are currently HSA (health savings account) eligible and I'd been thinking of putting as much as possible into our account between now & 65 so that at least we would be able to pay medical costs tax free after 65 (until the account dries up) but so many variables going on right now who knows if that's the best idea, and for that matter who knows if we'll be able to keep HSA eligible coverage between now & then.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Lots of fans of ACA, and lots of non fans too! While I feel ACA has helped some, overall, I give Congress a D- score on ACA. So, I suppose that makes me not a fan. (And I suppose, those with Pre Existing, and or getting large subsidy support, would give it a solid A grade.)

itgeekgal - Consider paying the penalty, and out of pocket for your medical expenses. But, also be ready and prepared by doing the advance leg work now - to change Domiciles if something dramatic pop's up. A change of state, allows you to then sign up for an ACA compliant plan in the new state. No persisting blockages, so you would be covered for whatever it is that prompted the switch.

We also have the FMCA Assist program, so that if something happens to one of us, we can get help getting back to the state our primary care and recovery will be. Both in medical transport, and also in getting the coach relocated if needed.

Not ideal, but for us who are like you Pre 65 - we're talking serious coin for next year. I'm an older person at 63, my wife is 58, and we paid $19.5K in 2016, with $6k deductible. So about $25K to get less coverage then we'd ever had in our lives. We have not seen the numbers for 2017 yet (Group Retirement Health Care plan, BCBS North Carolina, but expect it to be somewhere around the 20% range.)

I'm going to take a real close look at Kyle's Option 5, and then also my wife and I are ready if needed to change Domiciles from SD if something major comes up.

And trying real hard here, and feel many other posters in this thread are too - to not go fully political on this. But I do truly want our representatives in Congress to roll up their sleeves, and start the process of fixing some of the major problems of ACA. When you look back at what our Country, and government, has been able to do when their backs were against the wall - we've proven we can do some amazing things. Why not make health care better for all, while still also allowing reasonable income for the professionals in the trade.

Probably the first and best step, is an law that says Congress will have the same Health Insurance as the rest of the nation!

Stopping here, and hope others will not go too far - as these kinds of threads I feel help many sort thru what is a very complicated process!

Best to all,
Smitty

I wanted to update this post with my actual numbers, and what we've decided to do.

>First, my whisper numbers from people I know in HR, were off! Our Group Retirement Health Insurance increase for 2017 was ~12.5%, for $22,007 for 2017, + the $6K deductible. (I have to drop out of this plan when I turn 65 in early 2018, and that also make my wife need to drop out too. So, we needed to come up with transition path for 2018 anyways...)

>We're taking actions now to sign up for Kyle's Option 5. NOT INSURANCE. AND NO PROMISE TO PAY. Are two such sentiments that make us both nervous. I also don't yet fully understand if being a Foreign Owned company makes any difference or not. (Run out of Atlanta, but I recall reading on the internet, that they're Foreign Owned.) Our cost, with me being over 60, will be a shared cost of $569 per month.

>We've still got new folder about 85% complete, sort of a 'bug out' folder on Health Care, to change Domicile if needed at anytime. For 2017, that would be a change of Domicile to Florida, due to Florida Blue.

>2018? Who knows. I really do not expect any rapid changes in ACA. Perhaps the potential of looming changes, might have other PPO Insurance available in 2018? Know one knows... But the realty is over $26K for Health Insurance for 2017 - has forced this move. And in the meantime, my 62 year old meth using sister. Will remain on SDI (Years of drug usage resulted in severe medical conditions, now on SDI), retain her EBT card - and also remain on a subsidized ACA Gold plan.

OK - so that is what we are in the process of doing for 2017.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #122

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks very much Smitty77 for the update.

We too are seriously considering AlieraCare "non-insurance" for 2017. We can keep our same Dr's, have nationwide coverage, and the premiums aren't that much more than the federal penalty we would pay for going without coverage at all.

Our 2nd alternative is to loose nationwide coverage and get our non-emergent care needs met where we are stationary in the winter. This means establishing new Dr's, having emergency only coverage most of the year, paying over $10k a year in premiums and still having to meet a $6500 deductible before insurance pays a dime.

Flying to Florida in the next few weeks to become a resident is not feasible just to keep nationwide coverage for 2017 and Florida BC/BS premiums are 2 1/2 times AlieraCare's (over $13k a year for a $6500 deductible)...

Looking at 2018 and beyond there's way too much up in the air right now to know what we'll do then.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgeekgal View Post
We too are seriously considering AlieraCare "non-insurance" for 2017. We can keep our same Dr's, have nationwide coverage, and the premiums aren't that much more than the federal penalty we would pay for going without coverage at all.
Make sure you fully investigate this AlieraCare proviso:

Most people will qualify even with pre-existing health conditions, though there are coverage exclusions and waiting periods for pre-existing conditions.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #124

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Very interesting article. If the acceptance mandate for pre-existing conditions stands, then two elements remain essential for insurance companies to survive.

1. Open enrollment...keeping people from waiting until they are sick to buy.
2. Individual mandate...motivating people to buy, especially the young immortals.

Right now...#2 is insufficient. Too many young immortals remain uninsured or on Medicaid, due to it's expansion. If the expansion is repealed, that will stabilize the market.

Interesting times ahead...

-Greg
The problem with this ACA model is there's too much pussyfooting around what needs to be done. Disingenuous and devisive gridlock is the order of the day.

Auto insurance in my state: If you don't have it, you don't drive. And in my state there are substantial penalties for not carrying a minimum amount of insurance. That coverage that may be minimal is for those who don't have major assets to protect. It's a given the insurance company is only on the hook for just so much money. In addition we all pay a small percentage to cover those who don't have current insurance or out-of-state drivers who are uninsured. The market has to sort it out each and every year.

In my country there should be a minimum amount of medical insurance to cover the immortals, et al. If you want to participate as a business in the insurance marketplace you have to provide the minimum amount of care. The amount of care that you provide may also be nominal much like auto insurance when you use up your designated amount that's it, it falls over onto Medicaid as it does now.

If you want to sell pharmaceuticals in the health marketplace there should be a nominal amount of money necessary to buy life-saving medications. Epi-pen type scenario's just shouldn't exist.

If everybody was mandated to have at least a minimum amount of insurance, the books would be closer to being balanced. Until then it is frustrating reading Itgeekgal's case as well as so many others here, there doesn't seem to be a "best option" available.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #125

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Make sure you fully investigate this AlieraCare proviso:

Most people will qualify even with pre-existing health conditions, though there are coverage exclusions and waiting periods for pre-existing conditions.
Understood, it's far from a perfect solution. But when comparing it against paying a penalty and having no insurance at all or paying $13k a year for $6500 deductible coverage it doesn't look so bad (that's about $8k a year difference in premiums that we could spend on pre-existing condition maintenance and still break even).

Also keep in mind at this point we're looking for solution to get us through 2017 only, there's just too much up in the air to predict what will be available 2018 and beyond.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgeekgal View Post
. . . paying $13k a year for $6500 deductible coverage it doesn't look so bad (that's about $8k a year difference in premiums that we could spend on pre-existing condition maintenance and still break even).
My wife's 2016 AZ ACA health plan yearly cost was about $14000 (premiums) + $6850 (deductible) for a total of about $21000.

However, this year she had cancer surgery & care for a total bill of around $70,000.

Without a pre-existing option, we would have been out an additional $50K.

Careful.

Tags
insurance