Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2015, 04:33 AM   #1

3/4 time and CA domicile questions.

Hello!

I have been searching the internet for answers to my questions and have come up empty handed. So here I am, posting here to hopefully find some direction!

We are looking at going 3/4 full time next year. We will still need to be in the San Jose CA area 3 to 4 days a week for my wife's job. But outside of that we'll be on the road exploring!

My question is related to domicile and how to handle the problem in California. Since my wife is working full time in Santa Clara we are technically California residents. But we do not own property in California and will not have an apartment. We would like to find a home base in the area where we can stay during the week and use it as our domicile.

I have been looking around at RV parks in the area and many of them offer monthly rates. Is using an RV park as a domicile something that is commonly done? Is any one familiar with a domicile service based in California? I have read that its common for full timers to use Texas or Florida as their domicile for tax purposes. But our situation is different and I just need to make sure we are doing it by the books
treasonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2015, 07:08 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
If she has to be in the office 3-4 days a week, you're just getting long weekends, so take the monthly rate at a nearby park. As long as she is getting a paycheck you're California residents.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:21 AM   #3

Thanks Barb!

Yea I guess its not really 3/4 time, just long weekends

I am still researching the subject, but my question is more along the lines of what would our permanent mailing address be? Also what address do we use to register our vehicles.

Do some parks allow you to use it as a mailing address with a monthly rate? I am also looking into renting a lot at a mobile home park since they seem to be setup for more permanent residence.
treasonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:34 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
po box for mail and the parks mailing address for large items you may order on line
kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:18 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We lived in the south bay for 25 years and found that many of the local RV parks have long term residents. You could ask at the RV park what they suggest; if you can use their address and have mail delivered to them. We liked staying near Felton, but that would be a nasty drive to work in San Jose. If we just wanted to get out of town, we would stay at Betabel, south of Gilroy.
mike2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasonx View Post
Hello!

I have been searching the internet for answers to my questions and have come up empty handed. So here I am, posting here to hopefully find some direction!

We are looking at going 3/4 full time next year. We will still need to be in the San Jose CA area 3 to 4 days a week for my wife's job. But outside of that we'll be on the road exploring!

My question is related to domicile and how to handle the problem in California. Since my wife is working full time in Santa Clara we are technically California residents. But we do not own property in California and will not have an apartment. We would like to find a home base in the area where we can stay during the week and use it as our domicile.

I have been looking around at RV parks in the area and many of them offer monthly rates. Is using an RV park as a domicile something that is commonly done? Is any one familiar with a domicile service based in California? I have read that its common for full timers to use Texas or Florida as their domicile for tax purposes. But our situation is different and I just need to make sure we are doing it by the books
I looked into taking a job in CA and living in our MH there. Found that I would have to change registration and licenses to CA and pay taxes there even though I had a house and family in WA. Just didn't pencil out at all.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have friends who full time but still maintain their CA residency. They are both retired so employment is not an issue. They use a mail forwarding service and use that as their mailing address for Drivers Licenses, etc. When we were staying at Betabel we saw a lot of young people who appeared to be full timers. We were told by the Park that many of them are Tech workers. You might contact Betabel and see if they offer “address” and mail service.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
3/4 time and CA domicile questions.

I am assuming that you haven't purchased your motorhome yet. So you have different tax situations on the purchase of the motorhome. If you purchase your motorhome in state then you will pay the sales tax on the coach and it will be registered in California (Your apt address). Which would be the same address on your drivers license. Your domicile is California.
If you purchase your motorhome out of state, when you bring the motorhome into the state you will pay a use tax (same rate as sales tax) to the Franchise Tax Board. Unless you keep it out of state for 12 months. Then no tax due.
If I were you, I would buy out of state and keep it in Reno and use it on the weekends. Then when you go full-time you can pick which state benefits you the most (TX, SD or FL)
Since your wife is stilling working you are residents of CA and have to pay all taxes. There is no way around it. You will have to cut all ties to California otherwise the Franchise Tax Board will consider you still domiciled and want to tax you.
If you have lots of money and pay all taxes and domicile in CA, then just get a mailbox at UPS store for your mail. But make sure you purchase your motorhome while still in S&B resident. Lending institutions don't like lending to full-timers & part-timers living in motorhomes.

Good Luck!!
B-Man49 is offline   Reply With Quote