Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2021, 08:49 AM   #1

5 star places to pick up specially food, beverages or mom and pop restaurant.

We are planning to go full time late spring early summer. Plans for our first trip are to make a year long loop going north the East coast, West south of the great lakes, South along the Rockies then East along gulf coast.

I'm curious of great places to pick up specially foods, adult beverages or great mom and pop restaurants.

My stops would be brisket at Juniors on Hwy 59 about an hour SW of Houston, boudin from Best Stop in Scott just outside of Lafayette La. along I-10 and pizza from Venturi
in Goshen, IN.

What is your 5 star places.
RodnReel is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2021, 09:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
5 star places to pick up specially food, beverages or mom and pop restaurant.

Well, Rod…. I’ll tell ya- we don’t go chasing 5⭐️ places very much, been disappointed far to often following the recommendations of other folks.
What we do mostly is check out the local diners when we’re staying in small town rural America, which is pretty often. Sometimes we’ll check out places we’ve seen over the years on DD&D, but that can be hit or miss as well. I mean, just about any American diner does a really good breakfast, but some become memorable after the fact.
I’m not much of a brisket fan, at least not in the world of barbecue. I prefer one big honkin’ beef rib! No matter what you like, The Pit, in Raleigh does a superb job. We spent a fair bit of time in the area of Taylor, TX. I tried Louis Mueller’s once a couple of years ago (pre-covid), it was dry and gray. Taylor Cafe had good meat and great juice, but the place was really run down. Not just “trendy ambiance” run down. That was not long before Vencil died, so I can cut them some slack. Now it’s closed forever.
Madison Diner in Bainbridge Island WA is worth going back to. Burgers Landing in Port Hadlock WA makes burgers and other grilled sandwiches that could make you cry. And, for no particular reason at all they have an old Boeing nose section sticking out of the front wall. Go figure!
A ribeye that’ll make you want to stay a few days longer. That’s at the Lolo Creek Steak House in Lolo Montana. Really, really good ice cream down the road a bit in Stevensville at the Valley Drug and Variety- still have their old style soda fountain.
Best Mexican ever at The Red Iguana in Salt Lake City. Specialize in Mole. Self described as “pre-Hispanic Mexican”. I wonder where they got their recipes! Go to the original one, The Red Iguana, on West North Temple, just west of I-15. There are two others, The Red Iguana 2, and the Taste of Red Iguana. Those 2 are the result of the owners divorcing, and the word is that the original is still the real deal.
There are three great little diners along Main st in Littleton NH. Littleton Diner, Topic of the Town, and the Coffee Pot. Great places to talk to the folks in the morning, and they know how to do breakfast. Each place has their own group of loyalists. We were there workamping in summer of ‘15– campaign time in New Hampshire!! If there’s anything these cagey New Englanders like more than talking politics, it’s keeping the press confused and on their toes!
Everyone knows to stay away from gas station sushi, but every now and then pit stop food can fool ya! In Campbellsville, Kentucky, on SR55 at S Columbia there’s a small Marathon truck stop with the Five Star Food Mart operating inside. You drop into the Five Star about 5:30 or 6 in the AM and you’ll find the ladies turning out those fresh home made biscuits, grilling bacon and sausage, and frying’ eggs as needed. Ask for a couple and they’ll put ‘em up right there, all smiles and friendly talk, a steaming biscuit, egg, cheese, and hefty bacon, quick wrapped in foil and you’ll have a double hot handful with the bacon fat still sizzling! Son, you’ll never look at an Egg McMuffin again!
There’re a few to ponder. If I think of more I’ll let you know.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:23 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Recommendations and reviews are a real hit and miss. Too many friends and family fake postings. Many times we will ask the check in persons:
" Where's the best food in town not the most expensive".
In all reviews I read the 1&2 star reviews first. Can't trust 5 stars. If there is no low ratings it's probably OK.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:34 AM   #4

I wouldn't plan your full-timing around 5* restaurants. Travel to the places you want to see and explore and THEN find restaurants nearby.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:12 AM   #5

I would have to sit in front of my computer screen for most of today and some of tomorrow if I was to attempt to type out all the places we have discovered most would consider "5 star". An impossible task.

For us the joy of full timing is exploring different parts of the country. I might check out a place someone else recommended while in a certain area but for the most part we go out and find interesting places on our own.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I wouldn't plan your full-timing around 5* restaurants. Travel to the places you want to see and explore and THEN find restaurants nearby.
My question wasn't geared toward 5 star rated restaurants. It's more toward great small out of the way places that exceeded your expectations with certain menu items. You might be willing to drive a little out of your way to visit again. Something like what is shown on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

A few examples would be BBQ, winery's, breweries, pizza, fresh seafood, fried chicken, Italian food, hamburger or other sandwiches.
RodnReel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a lot of fantastic eatery places around the USA. I would just plan the trip for where you want to go and see what is to eat or drink in the area.

We like to find the local microbreweries and wineries. Another thing to look for is meaderies.

We found a great campground and meat market/cafe in Breau Bridge, LA. Pochies.
Great BBQ in LLano, TX at Cooper's. Great Mexican food all over Texas, and New Mexico. We found a good Cajin place in Glenwood Springs, CO....and the list goes on.

Enjoy the ride.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, food