Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2006, 07:57 AM   #1

This is probably going to be an unusual "full-timer" post and a long one, but here goes.

There is just my husband and I and our three Shih Tzus. My husband is in his 40s and I am in my 50s. We are not at the age or financially capable of retiring any time soon and health insurance is our major concern due to my many health issues but husband has pretty good ins. coverage through his work.

We are considering selling our home, which has a mortgage but we would net enough to buy a decent 5er or TT to live in "full-time" but would need to live locally in an RV campground so we both could continue to still work. There are a few CGs to choose from within driving distance for my husband's job but not as many open year-round close by. I am an independent contractor and work at home but do go to an office to pick up work week days but also work on-line via the Internet and I want to keep both my jobs.

My father has written into his living will and so generously given us a life long lease on his home when he passes away (I am the only living child). So, someday down the road, we may end up living in his home at least part of the time which is right near where we currently live. He & I decided together to choose a life long lease rather than giving me his home due to my medical issues and my concern of possibly ending up in a nursing home some day. This way his home or part of his property would not have to be sold to pay my medical expenses if it were to ever come to that.

We do not have the tow vehicle currently to tow the RV we would choose to live in but know we can hire someone to move it for us once or twice a year as necessary. When we do get the appropriate tow vehicle (in about three years), we may use the new RV for long weekend camping trips a few times a summer or a week here or there but we may also just get a smaller RV or keep the one we have to do that. We can store our current TT at my Dad's if we want.

Okay, my question is - are we crazy to even consider this??? We know we will have to sell our house eventually to live in my Dad's home and our plan was to buy a nice RV with the proceeds from that sale so really nothing is any different than what we have had planned, except for doing it sooner rather than later. It is our dream to retire and go full-timing but I don't know if I will live long enough or be healthy enough to do that, especially until my husband is able to retire, and so I thought this would be an alternative and also give us a chance to see if we would enjoy living in an RV full-time which I really think we both would.

With my health the way it is, our house is just too much for me to take care of anyway and really more than we need and RVing is our love in life. If we found this wasn't for us, we know some day we will have a house to move back to or even live in part-time if we choose so I just don't know as though this would be a wrong move on our part.

I also see us as being totally out of debt within three years of selling our house and being able to save more money and also have money to travel at least three to four weeks a year and perhaps eventually longer. This is all, of course, assuming I can still work and at this point I can but I was at a point just a few months ago with such poor health that we thought I may no longer be able to work so this has made a significant impact on how we are looking at our future now! If I were to not be able to work at all, we could potentially lose most everything we have worked so hard for. I know poor planning on our part in the past but this may be away around this potential issue for the future.

I come to you looking for advice, suggestions, and feedback as I know you are the pros - those of you doing this. I really respect your opinions and advice you give.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Sandi

Ko-Ko, Keegan & Keesha (Our Shih Tzu)
LuvOurTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2006, 07:57 AM   #2

This is probably going to be an unusual "full-timer" post and a long one, but here goes.

There is just my husband and I and our three Shih Tzus. My husband is in his 40s and I am in my 50s. We are not at the age or financially capable of retiring any time soon and health insurance is our major concern due to my many health issues but husband has pretty good ins. coverage through his work.

We are considering selling our home, which has a mortgage but we would net enough to buy a decent 5er or TT to live in "full-time" but would need to live locally in an RV campground so we both could continue to still work. There are a few CGs to choose from within driving distance for my husband's job but not as many open year-round close by. I am an independent contractor and work at home but do go to an office to pick up work week days but also work on-line via the Internet and I want to keep both my jobs.

My father has written into his living will and so generously given us a life long lease on his home when he passes away (I am the only living child). So, someday down the road, we may end up living in his home at least part of the time which is right near where we currently live. He & I decided together to choose a life long lease rather than giving me his home due to my medical issues and my concern of possibly ending up in a nursing home some day. This way his home or part of his property would not have to be sold to pay my medical expenses if it were to ever come to that.

We do not have the tow vehicle currently to tow the RV we would choose to live in but know we can hire someone to move it for us once or twice a year as necessary. When we do get the appropriate tow vehicle (in about three years), we may use the new RV for long weekend camping trips a few times a summer or a week here or there but we may also just get a smaller RV or keep the one we have to do that. We can store our current TT at my Dad's if we want.

Okay, my question is - are we crazy to even consider this??? We know we will have to sell our house eventually to live in my Dad's home and our plan was to buy a nice RV with the proceeds from that sale so really nothing is any different than what we have had planned, except for doing it sooner rather than later. It is our dream to retire and go full-timing but I don't know if I will live long enough or be healthy enough to do that, especially until my husband is able to retire, and so I thought this would be an alternative and also give us a chance to see if we would enjoy living in an RV full-time which I really think we both would.

With my health the way it is, our house is just too much for me to take care of anyway and really more than we need and RVing is our love in life. If we found this wasn't for us, we know some day we will have a house to move back to or even live in part-time if we choose so I just don't know as though this would be a wrong move on our part.

I also see us as being totally out of debt within three years of selling our house and being able to save more money and also have money to travel at least three to four weeks a year and perhaps eventually longer. This is all, of course, assuming I can still work and at this point I can but I was at a point just a few months ago with such poor health that we thought I may no longer be able to work so this has made a significant impact on how we are looking at our future now! If I were to not be able to work at all, we could potentially lose most everything we have worked so hard for. I know poor planning on our part in the past but this may be away around this potential issue for the future.

I come to you looking for advice, suggestions, and feedback as I know you are the pros - those of you doing this. I really respect your opinions and advice you give.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Sandi

Old 09-13-2006, 04:01 AM   #3

I'll Chime in since no one else has.

Derek and I are more full-timer Nomads than travelers. We decided on this lifestyle because of the immense flexibility it gives us in choosing Derek's work assignments. He is a consultant doing computer programing, and having the flexibility to move at a moments notice means bigger paychecks for us.

I wouldn't nessacarily say that it is a cheaper lifestyle. In our case it can be, and right now we live on less money than we needed to when we had a stick house, but, it can easily get out of control also. Just like anything else you need to watch your expenses, and your expenses are a little different when it involves vehicles... Not too many people worry about tires for their houses, or oil changes and depreciation.

All that said, Full-timing locally is bascially what we did when still in Wisconsin. I finished out the last 3 months of my last "Real" job in a local park in Wisconsin. Now we go to a new location based on Derek's work needs, which tends to be about every 6-9 months. Hoping the work carries us to warm weather in the winter, however, we have made it work in not so warm weather also. It was very manageable.

I love the lifestyle and freedom of it, however It can be difficult at times. One of the biggest things I tend to miss is the network of people I left behind. This is a worry you wouldn't need to have if you stayed in your hometown... But one many full-timers face. Granted we have met many more new friends in our travels, but at the same time, those relationships usually don't get indepth as say my childhood friends I had at home and have known and suppported all of my life...

Full-timing is what you make of it. Be prepared for alot of strange looks when you explain your lifestlye to those not in the know. Derek and I tend to choose not to explain it to anyone that doesn't need to know when it comes to employment, legal or just new acuqintences mostly becaue we get sick of tring to justify our choice to those who have no understanding of it.

The lfiestyle in all is no differant than any other choice of living arangement. Flexibility and some additional planning may be needed at times, but it has been suprising as to the "rabbits" we have pulled out of hats when we needed to. One such rabbit was finding a long term spot in NYC...

Just like life in general you learn from your good and bad experiences. The important thing is that you always move forward, and take that education to the next level... BTW, both of our families thing we are completely nuts, especially since we are only 32 and 38. They have now come to the conclusion that "we just couldn't make it in a conventional house"... We let them think what they want, while we both know our standard of living has increased significantly, and our happiness is also much higher.

John & Derek
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
You pose a very difficult question as each situation is different and there is much you need to consider.

Where you live now and real estate conditions have a large impact on selling your present home. Winters in any RV are not as pleasant in any cold climent as in a fixed home. A home should build equity, an RV will loose value.

A full-time RV lifestyle is a choice to travel, experience differnt places, see new things, and generally be a free spirit.

Moving from living in a fixed dwelling to living in a fixed RV -- I would consider that carefully.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #5

Thank you for your feedback. Believe me, we are giving this a lot of thought and have made no decisions yet. I know there will be people we know who won't understand someone wanting to do something like this but most of these are people that don't enjoy camping/RVing either. (Their loss I say!)

We have also considered purchasing a mobile home and placing it in a mobile home park, however, like an RV, that too will depreciate. If we were to purchase a mobile home, it may need to be sold within months of a purchase or it could be not for 10 years since we have no idea when we might move to my Dad's home (which I pray is not for a long, long time). Husband is not fond of the idea of living in a mobile home park and neither of us want to rent an apartment/home as we do not want the payment.

Right now we have a mtg. payment and property taxes. With an RV or mobile, we would pay cash and then we would only have lot rent which where we live will be less than what we pay in taxes on our current home!

Husband leans more toward an RV as we would potentially have it/use it for years to come and have no need to sell it anytime soon since we would want to keep it for many years. While I know there will be wear and tear from full-time use, in our situation it won't be sustaining wear and tear from being towed potentially thousands of miles a year either.

We know we cannot live on one income in the home we live in now so should either of us be unable to work, we could potentially lose our home and all that we have worked so hard for. (I know bad planning on our part.) If we pay cash for an RV or mobile, we would be able to live on the income of just one of us working and know we will have a roof over our head as long as we needed it and/or until we move to my Dad's home. My health has me concerned enough that I would rather do something now instead of wait until it could possibly be too late should I be unable to continue working. In any event, I feel the need to downsize as our home is more than I can take care of and/or more than we need but the question is what is the better choice???

Other than losing the equity that a home gives you and the challenges of living in a four season RV in the winter, are there any other things we should be considering???

Old 09-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The one thing to remember is that your home will continue to hold close to it's present value or increase in value as the years go by, provided you maintain it. The RV will begin to loose value the moment you drive off the lot and it will continue to loose value.

If you itemize your taxes, you can deduct the property taxes you pay. No taxes deduct on the RV and areas hit them pretty hard with a tax or license fee.

To park it year around with full utilities, will probably run $350.00 to $450.00 per month, and more in some areas. We have been living in ours since last December and it is costing us about $430.00 per month with electric bil during the summer. It is closer to $350.00 during the cooler weather, but propane usage goes up.

Living in an Rv in your Michigan winter will not be pleasant. The coldest we have lived in with our coach was NE Oklahoma and it was only 19 dF. We stayed warm using 2 electric heaters and the propane. You have to run the furnace some to keep the pipes in the basement from freezing.

For a Michigan winter you will need to enclose the bottom of the trailer with some foam insulation panels, heat trace and insulate the water line and sewer line. If you don't want o insulate, you will need to fill and dump every few days and run off your enclosed tanks.

I would not want to attempt to live in an RV in a cooler climate unless the manufacturer (not the sales person)specifically notes the RV is a 4-season coach and rated to at least 0 dF and has dual pane windows.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #7

Ken, you made some very good and valid points and I really appreciate them.

We do not have enough deductions to itemize so that doesn't help us on our property taxes unfortunately.

One of the brands of RVs we are looking at is a Keystone Montana and it is considered four season and rated to 0 and we would get the arctic pkg. with dual pane windows. I know that is a must for winter RVing.

The CG we are looking at charges just under $1200 per year for a year-round campsite with full hookups. I believe their electric is $15/100 kWh (that info is on my other computer)and then we would use 100# propane tanks. So, would you say to expect perhaps $250/month in electric & heat?

My husband is an industrial insulator so I think he could insulate the pipes and skirt the RV and seal up all openings, and insulate the tops and bottoms of the slides. I know I have read others also use the electric heaters to supplement but without compromising the garage heat for the lines & tanks.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:05 AM   #8

Sandi,
Have you considered a BigFoot rig? Canadian company that has thermo-pane windows, extra insulation and heated and enclosed holding tanks
designed for "snow camping".

In addtion if your rig is self- contained, kitchen, bath etc. you can normally deduct, on your taxes, the interest on a loan for your rig as a second mortage, just like a stick built house.
Check with your taxman.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LuvOurTC:
Ken, you made some very good and valid points and I really appreciate them.

We do not have enough deductions to itemize so that doesn't help us on our property taxes unfortunately.

One of the brands of RVs we are looking at is a Keystone Montana and it is considered four season and rated to 0 and we would get the arctic pkg. with dual pane windows. I know that is a must for winter RVing.

The CG we are looking at charges just under $1200 per year for a year-round campsite with full hookups. I believe their electric is $15/100 kWh (that info is on my other computer)and then we would use 100# propane tanks. So, would you say to expect perhaps $250/month in electric & heat?

My husband is an industrial insulator so I think he could insulate the pipes and skirt the RV and seal up all openings, and insulate the tops and bottoms of the slides. I know I have read others also use the electric heaters to supplement but without compromising the garage heat for the lines & tanks.

Thanks so much for the feedback. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #9

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LuvOurTC:
I am an independent contractor and work at home but do go to an office to pick up work week days but also work on-line via the Internet and I want to keep both my jobs.

Sandi[QUOTE]

Hi Sandi,

No tax advice here, but you mentioned you are an independent contractor and sometimes work out of your home. Have you looked into the myriad of tax deductions and deprecation you could apply to living in your new RV or current living situation? I would highly recommend speaking to a tax practitioner, mine is a former IRS auditor. You could be getting some serious tax breaks!! Believe me...I always itemize.

Also, having read your post carefully, the medical aspect of your post concerns me. I would also consult your physician and get his/her advice as well.

Either way I wish you only the best in your future endeavors!

06'Winnebago Adventurer 35A
It's A Good Life!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #10

Thanks Christopher. I really appreciate your input.

We do not make enough or have enough deductions to itemize. I do deduct all my business expenses and I think I am getting all that is available to me per our tax accountant. I keep pretty good records I think and keep receipts for everything. I have an office in our home. I realize I would lose the "office" deduction (unless I count a 4x6' area with a desk as an "office" when living in an RV lol) but I think I would still qualify for most other deductions that I do now. Due to my ongoing health issues, I have now had to cut back to just one of my jobs that is part-time - the one I drive to every day to pickup/deliver work, so I still get to use mileage as a deduction. Since our income is reduced now, that has put a bit of strain on our budget so I almost feel even more compelled to sell our house. We would certainly be better off financially as far as monthly expenses/bills and we all know how stress plays a role in our health. I look at this way too - I am not taking anything with me when my time comes.

I can no longer take care of our house the way I need to/want to/should and I think an RV would be so much easier for me in that regard too. I am staying in contact with a single lady that is actually living in a Keystone Montana in Ohio full-time at a campground and she is keeping me posted on how things go for her throughout this winter. So far, she is extremely pleased.

We are still working on the health issues. I see the specialist at University of Michigan on 01/02/07. I have already been down there for testing and my test results have shown it is a "brain" issue which we already suspected. I have some nerve damage from the ear to the brain. I have had daily nausea for over a year now, balance problems, and left-sided weakness and exhaustion. I am praying that I will be able to be treated and stop these symptoms, particularly the nausea, and with physical therapy improve the other problems. I think I am just exhausted because I feel like I am on an amusement park ride all the time spinning (only my brain has learned to accommodate for it quite a bit) and then the nausea is like having the flu everyday. That is NO fun. I think that would exhaust anyone. Seriously, it really is difficult but I believe they can "fix" me. I just want the nausea to stop.

Looking forward to more replies.

Happy Holidays!

Sandi

Old 12-21-2006, 04:55 AM   #11

Just a thought...have you considered renting your current home and then renting a small condo where a lot of the outside maintanence is done for you?

Or selling your current home and purchasing a duplex,living on one side and using the rent from the other side to pay for the duplex?

I live in Michigan so I know its a difficult
time to try and sell a house, I will be piutting my home on the market this coming Spring.
However I think that whatever you decide to do should be done after much consideration, and planning with a thoughtful pro & con list for each option.

Sorry about your health problems.
I am sending up a prayer to the "King of Kings" for your complete recovery

Merry Christmas
Jesus is the Reason for the Season

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LuvOurTC:
Thanks Christopher. I really appreciate your input.

We do not make enough or have enough deductions to itemize. I do deduct all my business expenses and I think I am getting all that is available to me per our tax accountant. I keep pretty good records I think and keep receipts for everything. I have an office in our home. I realize I would lose the "office" deduction (unless I count a 4x6' area with a desk as an "office" when living in an RV lol) but I think I would still qualify for most other deductions that I do now. Due to my ongoing health issues, I have now had to cut back to just one of my jobs that is part-time - the one I drive to every day to pickup/deliver work, so I still get to use mileage as a deduction. Since our income is reduced now, that has put a bit of strain on our budget so I almost feel even more compelled to sell our house. We would certainly be better off financially as far as monthly expenses/bills and we all know how stress plays a role in our health. I look at this way too - I am not taking anything with me when my time comes.

I can no longer take care of our house the way I need to/want to/should and I think an RV would be so much easier for me in that regard too. I am staying in contact with a single lady that is actually living in a Keystone Montana in Ohio full-time at a campground and she is keeping me posted on how things go for her throughout this winter. So far, she is extremely pleased.

We are still working on the health issues. I see the specialist at University of Michigan on 01/02/07. I have already been down there for testing and my test results have shown it is a "brain" issue which we already suspected. I have some nerve damage from the ear to the brain. I have had daily nausea for over a year now, balance problems, and left-sided weakness and exhaustion. I am praying that I will be able to be treated and stop these symptoms, particularly the nausea, and with physical therapy improve the other problems. I think I am just exhausted because I feel like I am on an amusement park ride all the time spinning (only my brain has learned to accommodate for it quite a bit) and then the nausea is like having the flu everyday. That is NO fun. I think that would exhaust anyone. Seriously, it really is difficult but I believe they can "fix" me. I just want the nausea to stop.

Looking forward to more replies.

Happy Holidays!

Sandi </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:04 AM   #12

Personally, I believe your post is a reflection on your life choices , rather than choices of living.

If I were in your shoes, I would get out of Michigan to a climate that was warmer.

Obviously you do not consider that an alternative. Your idea of living in an rv year round in Michigan, leaves me speechless. I have lived in rvs in cold weather because I had to, not because I wanted to. It aint fun. It is expensive and detemental to the rv, let alone your health. Oh some will sayyou can, yes, some can, are you one of the some?

Can you afford the rv that will take the cold? Montanas are good fivers, but they are not cheap either, and there are better ones for cold weather living, but they cost a whole lot more.

Seems if you could afford those , then you really dont have a problem.

Actually your post strikes me as someone who is looking for a cheaper way to live , while also making that way, your pleasure. Hate to say this, but if that were true, everyone would live in an rv.

I suggest you example your way of life, your way of earning, your desire above wants and needs, then after much thinking, determine the best way for you to go forward. In whatever path you choose, I hope you the best.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:21 AM   #13

I appreciate your feedback.

I do want to downsize as the home we have is more than we need or want at this point in our life. We don't really have a desire to purchase a duplex nor have the funds for a condo as another poster suggested. We don't feel it would be really practical either to do that as we will be moving into my Dad's home at some point as he has left it to us in his living will and we will have a lifetime lease on it so the property (48 acres) and house will be passed on down to his three grandchildren. I am my father's only living child and I want to be near him for when he may need me (he is 76). He is the only immediate family I have left. So, moving to a warmer climate is not an option for us nor will it be for many years to come probably since my husband needs to continue to work and is not near retirement age.

As I may have mentioned, I am in contact with a single woman, living in Ohio in a Montana, and she has been very comfortable/warm (more-so than in her stick built house she says) and is very pleased with her life choice of selling her home and living in her RV full-time. She has actually had some colder temps than us thus far this year.

Wouldn't heat, like in AZ and FL, be just as detrimental to an RV as cold weather would be ??? What about all the RVs that are stored outside in the winter without cover?

How is living in an RV in cold weather detrimental to your health? I am truly really interested in your thoughts on this.

I am sorry but I have to disagree that if RVs were cheaper to live in that everyone would be living in them. A lot of people do not like RVing at all and most could never stand living in such small quarters. We love RVing, staying in campgrounds, and we feel we could handle the smaller living size. In fact, that is one of the reasons we want to move - to something smaller so it will be easier for me to care for the inside.

The bottom line is we know we have to sell our home eventually to move to my Dad's and our plan is to buy a larger RV then we currently have, a Montana at this point, so we would just be doing it sooner rather than later.

If for some reason this didn't work out for us, the worst that could happen is us having to rent an apartment, so we do have an "escape plan" if we really had to.

Thanks so much.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:47 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One question I didn't see in the other posts about your father's home- is it possible that he may have to sell it to afford to be taken care of in his later years? My understanding of medicaid is that it won't pay for nursing home care until the residents assets are down to less than $2000.00. Maybe your father has insurance that would cover his care if the need arises? Otherwise you may not be able to count on having his house to move into sometime in the future.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote