Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Another full time but limited travel

I saw the thread earlier about full time with out travel and I am contemplating a similar situation. I have worked at my current job for 28 years and plan on around 5 or less before I retire at 59 and 1/2. At that time we are going to travel in the bus. Currently I have a house that is half paid for that we live in while I work and alternate 2 weeks at home and 2 weeks in the bus at a local campground with a river view. Our thoughts are to sell the unnecessarily large house and either purchase a small house with room to park the bus or a small piece of land to put a pad and just live in the bus full time. When we do this we will be debt free and save about $1800.00 per month in expenses due to no payment and lesser associated costs ie utilities, taxes, and insurance. What are your thoughts and has anyone else done this? We will still be "camping" every couple of weeks in a local campground either way. I can seem to get completely onboard with full timing while I work but can't really see how it is different from full timing while travelling.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #2

Your plan is very doable and many are now working from their RV with technology now out there.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:16 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
No way to do my job remotely I have to physically be there. We could move around to different campgrounds but the number and quality within driving distance of work is limited. Last year all three COE's we were going to rotate through were flooded one still hasn't reopened. All the longer term camprounds are substandard. Even the KOA here is pretty bad.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:35 AM   #4

My line of work is a bit different than yours, but if I was in your shoes, I would probably do the same thing you're thinking of. I see nothing wrong with it.

Don't worry about what other people will think of you. Some will still call you a full timer, some will call you a part timer, and some will say you're just "living in a bus". Do what makes you happy. If that's selling the house and getting a small piece of land makes your life better, do it! There is a whole lot to be said for being debt free. Paying off all my debt was the best decision I ever made. It's amazing knowing that a crash in the economy won't result in losing my house and vehicles and livelihood.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:07 AM   #5

You currently rotate 2 weeks in the bus. Have you tried a month or longer? The wife and I have stayed at our camper for 5 months the last two summers and now know for sure, full timing is for us.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
we are staying 2 weeks this month then home 1 week then back for 2 weeks. Last year we did three and were scheduled for a month but got booted due to flooding. I know we can live in the bus just hard to wrap my head around not having a house even if we aren't staying in it.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I know we can live in the bus just hard to wrap my head around not having a house even if we aren't staying in it.
I think you'll find very different emotions when you get rid of the house. We certainly did!! Like a big weight off our shoulders, no house chores and a cheaper way to live with freedom. We had a big house on a lake with the boats. When full-timing we found lovely lakes to park on the shores without the exhausting work of boats, docks, gear, etc. We never missed the lake home.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
we are staying 2 weeks this month then home 1 week then back for 2 weeks. Last year we did three and were scheduled for a month but got booted due to flooding. I know we can live in the bus just hard to wrap my head around not having a house even if we aren't staying in it.
It's definitely a big change. It felt weird when I first made the switch to full timing. It didn't take long to realize how much easier my life became. Yea, I don't have a house, but I still have a home. It's just smaller and always with me.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, travel