Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2022, 06:41 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Anybody use this water softener?

I just pulled the trigger on this softener https://www.uswatersystems.com/traxx...-softener.html Will be mounted in storage bay and hoping to figure out a way to drain into gray tank. Only downsize is max setting is 10000 grains.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2022, 08:02 PM   #2

You realize that's at least double the price of any other small RV water softener, right?

At any rate, I've had a Watts 10,000 grain unit for about eight years and it's done fine from Texas to Florida to Indiana. Recharge and brine-flushing can be as short as a half-hour. You do _not_ drain the brine into a grey tank.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been using an On-The-Go Double water softener for over 10 years now and would not be without it. A manual brine load and rinse takes normally under an hour.

I like to keep it simple.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:26 AM   #4

You can buy a 15K grain water softener for a 1/3 of that price that RVer's use all the time including me.

Just by your user name I'm going to assume you're new to RVing. If so, you really need to get up to snuff not only this subject, but water filtering and many others subjects that require a good knowledge base. I follow an outstanding YT channel and he talks about and SHOWS you how to fix things, do maintenance and PM items and how to set up things like a water softener properly.

I would return it if you can, switch over to another softener like he talks about in his videos and use the savings to trick out your water filtration system so you can have safe, good tasting, triple filtered, softened water throughout the RV including your fresh water tank.

If you're interested here's his channel: https://www.youtube.com/RVstreet
Here's his entire video library: https://www.youtube.com/c/RVstreet/playlists
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:06 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I’ve been using an on-the-go water softener for 12 years and it can be recharged in about 1/2 hr. It also costs much, much less then what your looking at. BTW do not flush into your grey tank.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:04 PM   #6

Yes, RVStreet is a very good channel.

Also, remember that a water softener only captures calcium ions; it in no way filters the water.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have 2 outside filters and reverse osmosis inside for drinking water. And I do have a rv water softener. The pluses are: I can load 25 lbs of salt in it, It operates on demand, and is blue tooth enabled. I can change the water hardness and regeneration cycles with my phone. I can set it to regenerate at 2 am just like you would in sticks and bricks. There other posts of permanent rv installs that discharge into grey tank. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/wat...-400653-5.html
My grey tank is 65g and my black tank is 45g.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie 2021 View Post
I just pulled the trigger on this softener https://www.uswatersystems.com/traxx...-softener.html Will be mounted in storage bay and hoping to figure out a way to drain into gray tank. Only downsize is max setting is 10000 grains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
You realize that's at least double the price of any other small RV water softener, right?
True, but OP's Traxx does have a separate brine tank which can make it more convenient and from my experience get consistently soft water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
At any rate, I've had a Watts 10,000 grain unit for about eight years and it's done fine from Texas to Florida to Indiana. Recharge and brine-flushing can be as short as a half-hour. You do _not_ drain the brine into a grey tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie 2021 View Post
I have 2 outside filters and reverse osmosis inside for drinking water. And I do have a rv water softener. The pluses are: I can load 25 lbs of salt in it, It operates on demand, and is blue tooth enabled. I can change the water hardness and regeneration cycles with my phone. I can set it to regenerate at 2 am just like you would in sticks and bricks. There other posts of permanent rv installs that discharge into grey tank. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/wat...-400653-5.html
My grey tank is 65g and my black tank is 45g.
However, the Watts has only a 20 min regen cycle as opposed to the Traxx's 30 - 180 minute regen -- which could fill up a gray tank mighty fast.

OP, please report back in a year to let us know how it worked out.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:54 AM   #9

X2 on using the On-The-Go water softener. We have had our large one for over 5 years and it has performed perfectly. The regen cycle depends on where we are at in the country, but generally speaking we can go 5 to 6 weeks before having to purchase two expensive $1.00 containers of salt.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water