Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #1

Anyone own land for their RV as a base?

We have been full timing for 4 years now. Have talked about wanting a base of some kind, but not a home. Wondering if anyone out there has a lot for the winter and one for the summer?

I don't mean a lot in a RV park. I am talking about an acre or so with a pad, water, electrical, sewer and maybe a large shed. One you could use in one part of the country and say another in a different part. Maybe each would be used in different times of the year.

I assume there are zoning issues, but this could be a very nice way to live.

Love to here what some of you have done.

Steve__
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #2

I have read about folks that have done this. It sounds like a really great plan to me too. But I am the roving gypsy and the DH is too attached to his sticks and bricks - not to mention the damn tractors! Go for it, we only go around once and retirement is the last and most unpredictable phase.
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Funny you just brought this up. My neighbor does exactly what you are asking and they just left to go South. They have 10 acres up here in the Northwest and an acre in AZ. They love it. When they leave one site or the other they take their time and visit their points interest. Up here they have the big shop, concrete pad with cover, water, sewer, power and wildlife. You just need a good neighbor that will keep an eye on things for them while you are gone. Thy figure that when the time comes when they can no longer travel they will pick their favorite site and bring in a Modular Home.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #4

Location: Living my imperfect todays rather than waiting for my perfect tomorrow...
We bought 5 acres in Tn last fall and this fall we hope to get one RV site put in for us. Eventually (5-10 years) we will add a pole barn and a small house (and a couple more guest RV spots). Then we'll do the TN-FL for as long as we can.

Note, if it weren't for kids mostly being in the east, we'd be doing this from MT to AZ. We love out west!! But one other advantage to TN, if we end up there year round, the weather isn't too severe at any time.
Froggi Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
We own a 2 lots with a small trailer on one on a lake in s. Mo. The trailer allows for all utilities to be there and it has hookups for our RV. Because it is an old trailer taxes are cheap(~200/year) and water/HOA fees are about 180/year(that is for both lots). The only limitation on the lots are we can not place an RV vehicle their for greater than > 180 days. But if that were ever to occur(and someone complained) we could just move the RV to the other lot.
patty98311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #6

Froggi, Where in TN are you going to put the lot? How about zoning and things like that? Estimate of costs?

Steve__
Old 09-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #7

Location: Living my imperfect todays rather than waiting for my perfect tomorrow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
Froggi, Where in TN are you going to put the lot? How about zoning and things like that? Estimate of costs?

Steve__
We bought 5 rural acres (all wooded) in Jamestown, TN. Great price, NO zoning issues, no convenants or restrictions (well, no swine - outhouses - junkyards, think we can live with that).

No cost estimates yet other than the $450 to get it resurveyed. We'll be tracking costs and posting them in our blog HERE.
Froggi Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #8

10 acres on Cape Breton Island.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #9

Sorry, it's a base but NOT my home base. My mistake.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
lots

We have a lot at lakeshore for our rig.
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #11

Wooddel,

We just left the Cape today. Beautiful area. How expensive is it to own a lot there?

Steve__
Old 09-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #12

Anyone have a base in Maine or New hampshire?

Steve__
Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I do this.I have two lot's in Montana and come back south around family in the winter.Although i don't own any property here in the Midwest anymore and stay at a RV park in the winter.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:54 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I love this idea! We've just been looking at condo's with RV parking, etc., but forgot we had looked a few years ago for land in Vermont that we could do this! I think we need to look at it again really seriously. Would love to hear of other rules/regs that might be involved (do you install a full septic system, or what?)
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote