Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2022, 03:07 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
You've got three places you want to visit long(ish) term on a regular basis. Why not install RV hookups at each place and rotate between them? In the meantime, if some other place catches your interest you can spend some time there, too.
I think the key is to have an economical spot to land near relatives. Otherwise, keep your house and get a small class 'C' to visit a different relative each year.
Yeah - for us, RV hookups at my parents' place in California would work well and they encourage us to do that, actually. But my son/DIL are apartment dwellers in Spokane and my daughter/SIL are going to be living at married student dorms at his college in Texas, so it would be a no go there. But there seem to be some nice parks both in Lubbock area and Spokane we could stay at, or I even considered putting an ad on Craigslist to see if we could find somebody with some extra space and hook ups they may want to rent us while we were in town.

But I think we're going to go with the second option. We may just use the small trailer or Lance Camper I already have or consider selling them both and getting a little motorhome. My wife is ready to leave California and I am too so we will sell this house no matter what we do. But I'm 95% sure at this point we're going to just buy another house up in Spokane near my son and then travel from there as much as possible. It's her strong preference and for me, it's fine - there are some houses in our price range there that I like - although I'd really prefer to just live in an RV for a couple of years. The only thing I'm concerned about is that we'll end up not traveling as much as I'd like to because you know how it is when you own a house - seems like there is always little projects that need to be done or other responsibilities that keep us tied down. It seems like traveling always ends up getting put off. But at this point I think we are almost out of excuses. Both kids are out of the house and married and my work schedule gives me a lot of time off. So lets get moving!
Matthew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2022, 11:11 PM   #44

OK, I am feeling encouraged. I think I FINALLY found a solution that's comfortable for both of us!

We will sell our house in August as planned. For now, we will just keep both our Truck-bed Lance camper and our little 18 foot travel trailer rather than having to invest in something new. We can use my parents' house that's nearby here and within commuting distance to my work as a home base. I work five, 12 hour night shifts and then I'm off for 9 nights. While I'm working, I'll sleep in the truck camper and she can hang out in the trailer during the day. While we are here, she can hang out with her friends and go to coffee, go to our church on Sundays and do other things that will satisfy her social needs.

When I'm off, we can take off in either the truck camper or the travel trailer and drive to Lubbock or Spokane or somewhere else we feel like exploring. Or, if we don't feel like going anywhere we can hang out here in California at my parents' house.

Our house will be sold and we'll just keep the profit money from it in the bank so if we decide it's it's not working for us, we can always just flick it in and buy a place up in Spokane as we were thinking. Or, maybe she'll fall in love with traveling and will want to go bigger with a big 5th wheel or Class A! (Always gotta push it, don't I? )

Anyway, she is comfortable with this plan because first, she doesn't feel locked into it. Secondly, we're just using what we have and not investing a bunch of money into something she may not like. Third, this plan seems like she would be able to have the social outlet that she craves. Her last concern was giving up all of our stuff so for now, it's all going in storage. Who knows, maybe some day she'll decide we can part with most things but for now, paying for storage is worth the peace of mind for her.

And for me, I get to experience life as a semi-vagabond for awhile, which I've always dreamed of! We'll see - maybe she will get tired of it quickly and we'll buy a house - but at least she is willing to give it a try for a bit! (And maybe I'll find out I don't like it either... but I doubt it...)

Anyway, just thought I'd share, so those that have been contributing to the thread and helping me think can see the final decision. Happy RVing!
Old 07-01-2022, 11:48 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew B View Post
OK, I am feeling encouraged. I think I FINALLY found a solution that's comfortable for both of us!

We will sell our house in August as planned. For now, we will just keep both our Truck-bed Lance camper and our little 18 foot travel trailer rather than having to invest in something new. We can use my parents' house that's nearby here and within commuting distance to my work as a home base. I work five, 12 hour night shifts and then I'm off for 9 nights. While I'm working, I'll sleep in the truck camper and she can hang out in the trailer during the day. While we are here, she can hang out with her friends and go to coffee, go to our church on Sundays and do other things that will satisfy her social needs.

When I'm off, we can take off in either the truck camper or the travel trailer and drive to Lubbock or Spokane or somewhere else we feel like exploring. Or, if we don't feel like going anywhere we can hang out here in California at my parents' house.

Our house will be sold and we'll just keep the profit money from it in the bank so if we decide it's it's not working for us, we can always just flick it in and buy a place up in Spokane as we were thinking. Or, maybe she'll fall in love with traveling and will want to go bigger with a big 5th wheel or Class A! (Always gotta push it, don't I? )

Anyway, she is comfortable with this plan because first, she doesn't feel locked into it. Secondly, we're just using what we have and not investing a bunch of money into something she may not like. Third, this plan seems like she would be able to have the social outlet that she craves. Her last concern was giving up all of our stuff so for now, it's all going in storage. Who knows, maybe some day she'll decide we can part with most things but for now, paying for storage is worth the peace of mind for her.

And for me, I get to experience life as a semi-vagabond for awhile, which I've always dreamed of! We'll see - maybe she will get tired of it quickly and we'll buy a house - but at least she is willing to give it a try for a bit! (And maybe I'll find out I don't like it either... but I doubt it...)

Anyway, just thought I'd share, so those that have been contributing to the thread and helping me think can see the final decision. Happy RVing!
I have family in North Idaho and used to live there. I spent a lot of time in Spokane and Coeur d’Alene which is just across the border from Spokane. Spokane is a much bigger city and has its benefits but you might consider looking in or near Coeur d’Alene for a home base if you prefer a smaller town feel not to mention the beauty of North Idaho. The two states are also very different politically with Washington being similar in many ways to CA. Idaho, not so much. Best of luck whatever you decide.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:08 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkwuzn View Post
I have family in North Idaho and used to live there. I spent a lot of time in Spokane and Coeur d’Alene which is just across the border from Spokane. Spokane is a much bigger city and has its benefits but you might consider looking in or near Coeur d’Alene for a home base if you prefer a smaller town feel not to mention the beauty of North Idaho. The two states are also very different politically with Washington being similar in many ways to CA. Idaho, not so much. Best of luck whatever you decide.
Oh yeah, for sure I have looked in Idaho. The problem that I can see for us is that part of Idaho seems to be quite a bit more expensive than over the border on the Washington side - much less available houses in the price range we have been looking at. Also, Idaho has state income taxes where Washington doesn't - so that's a bit of a financial bonus for us staying west of the border.

And yes, I would guess that our political views would be more in line with Idaho than Washington State in general - but as you know having lived there, Spokane isn't Seattle just like Redding, CA isn't L.A. or the Bay Area. Unfortunately the major urban centers control state politics in most states... BUT... I digress and I'm so tired of politics in general anyway. Ugh, all those politicians on both sides seem like they're just out for themselves! Pubic servants... yeah right...

Thanks for the comment - appreciated!
Old 07-03-2022, 08:10 PM   #47

Prices are already plummeting in the treasure valley idaho. Much more conservative than coeur d alene. A realtor I know in nampa just listed a house 75k lower than the market and a week ago lowered it another 75k. Just a month ago they would have had multiple offers at full price. Markets around the country are cracking, may be selective, maybe everywhere, I don't know.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:40 AM   #48

I'm guessing that area in particular will have a pretty decent drop. Spokane in particular shot up in price like a rocket in the last couple of years. An article about Spokane and the crazy market there made our local paper about 6 months ago. Idaho has been a crazy popular place to escape for us Californians. I know Idahoans aren't too happy about that... But what goes up must come down as they say... For us, it's just about living near the kids/future grand-kids for the most part. I tried to get my kids thinking about living on the coast in the South - like Alabama or something. We could get a place right on the beach for CHEAP! And all the fried food we can eat! But I couldn't get anybody excited about it so Pacific Northwest for us it is!
Old 07-04-2022, 04:03 AM   #49

Correct! If you are in your forties save all the money you can. Sacrifice and you will be much better off in 20 yrs.

Don H
Savannah, GA
dhwing97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:17 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
1999 Ford f250 Super Duty
10,000 GVWR 5th wheel MAX
Small.light weight
I was looking up my truck specs on a VIN decoder and unless I'm reading this wrong, it looks like I can have up to 14000 lbs of 5th wheel capacity, correct? 10k was for trailer towing. I'm not sure if this number is for a higher axle gear ratio? Mine is 3.73 but it looks like my axle could also have the option of a 4.10 or 4.30. I could have the ring and pinion swapped out I think if it made towing a lot better? I've seen some 5th wheels in the 11k pound or less range that look like we could be comfortable in. Yes, keeping everything under 10k pounds seems like it would be very limiting, but being able to go up to 14k looks like it would add quite a few options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck Tow Capacity.png
Views:	19
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	370173  
Old 07-05-2022, 11:01 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew B View Post
I was looking up my truck specs on a VIN decoder and unless I'm reading this wrong, it looks like I can have up to 14000 lbs of 5th wheel capacity, correct? 10k was for trailer towing. I'm not sure if this number is for a higher axle gear ratio? Mine is 3.73 but it looks like my axle could also have the option of a 4.10 or 4.30. I could have the ring and pinion swapped out I think if it made towing a lot better? I've seen some 5th wheels in the 11k pound or less range that look like we could be comfortable in. Yes, keeping everything under 10k pounds seems like it would be very limiting, but being able to go up to 14k looks like it would add quite a few options.
Check the sticker in the drivers door jamb. It should give you max towing, combined weight and payload for your specific truck as equipped from the factory. Changing the rear axle ratio may give you a bit more towing capacity but there are many factors that determine the actual max capacities. I’m sure there are experts on this forum that know much more about this than I do.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:12 PM   #52

Ah, yes, I forgot about the door jamb sticker.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:08 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We sold our house in NJ last June and had a house built in Oklahoma. The house in Oklahoma was suppose to be completed by January but we didn't close until June 2022. In the interim we lived at a campground in our Winnebago Adventurer motorhome. If I had to do it again I would do the same thing.
Pros:

• A lot less expensive than an apartment
  • Peace of mind - you never know what problems may come up with other people in adjacent apartments
  • No worries about bed bugs, roaches, mice, etc...
  • Flexibility to move or travel at will
  • If you don't like the campground or neighborhood, simply move
  • Campgrounds tend to have more amenities than apartments
  • The campground where we stayed the water, electric and sewer were all included in our monthly rent
  • CG provided free cable and wifi
Cons:
  • Depending on your motorhome space can be tight. Fortunately, it was just my wife and I plus our English Bully in a 40ft MH.
  • Where to store all your possessions. For us, we rented a large storage unit. Not to bad if you have a home base.
  • RV maintenance
  • Security is an issue regardless of apartment or MH
  • Utilities are typically not included in your rent
  • Cable and wifi are typically not included
Certainly not an exhaustive list, but for my wife and I, staying in the MH versus an apartment was a no-brainier.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Joe
2005 Winnebago 38J Adventurer
Bisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #54

Thanks! Good thoughts for sure.