Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2022, 02:25 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Are People Who Dislike Dogs and Their Owners Getting Worse?

Just seemed fair. My opinion is that if the RV park allows dogs and you decide to stay there anyway then you forfeit the right to complain when dogs are being dogs. Sometimes dogs will bark at something. Sometimes dogs will “do their business” on the way to the designated area, not much the owner can do except clean it up promptly etc. I am NOT talking about unacceptable things like aggressive dogs, off-leash dogs, incessant noise, etc.
Some folks seem like they go out of their way to complain. If you need to make sure that you are never exposed to anything that you don’t happen to particularly like then buy some property, build a fence and stay inside it.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2022, 02:50 PM   #2

Not any worst then decades past.

*Same answer for both situations
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 02:53 PM   #3

Sorry, but “dogs being dogs” is not an acceptable excuse for many situations. For some dog breeds patrolling perimeters and chasing away other animals is in their DNA. But it is not acceptable to allow them to roam the campground chasing wildlife and pets. Some dogs dig by nature, whether it is to bury food or dig out prey but it is not acceptable for them to dig in sites. An occasional bark or accident is to be expected but when it is a habit “dogs being dogs” is not justification.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 02:57 PM   #4

And then you might have those with dogs that also feel it necessary to display their sewer hoses!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/how-...se-588383.html

Where does it end!!!
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:04 PM   #5

Some folks think everything their dog does is acceptable. A lot of us dog owners wish those people would abide by the rules and control their dogs.
Should we stay home so those people can be free of criticism? Or should they perhaps leave their poorly socialized, overly aggressive, untrained dogs at home?
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post
And then you might have those with dogs that also feel it necessary to display their sewer hoses!

Where does it end!!!
Old 07-25-2022, 03:34 PM   #7

My dogs are in the group that dislike (other) dogs but love their owners. People are great, they could live without other dogs.

Thankfully, my dogs are pretty good about keeping their barking under control, and their owner is good about cleaning up after them. If I let them off their leash, I might never get the cocker back. She would find someone willing to offer her a treat and never come home.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Are People Who Dislike Dogs and Their Owners Getting Worse?

I have nothing against dogs .. I’ve had many through my life. We choose not to have one now. To restrictive on our lifestyle. Want to take a last minute cruise? Quick flight somewhere? Oops what to do with fluffy? Etc.
I love dogs , but some owners are over the top. Their baby can do no wrong. No training , little control .. shall I go on ? The kids grew up and the replacement is in the house. My opinion and it’s flame worthy, so I’ll put my flame retardant on … is some folks opened a doggy day care. Ask the friendly neighbor , Want to go out to that new place ? No , fluffy can’t be alone. What?
I get all the love they provide , but my DW gives me plenty .. and she actually talks !
Have the dog , get all the love they provide ! Train the dog to be a good neighbor… BUT. I don’t see your dog as the same ( as a child ) .. and if it’s not well behaved … it’s on the owner , not the dog. So no I’m not against dogs .. I’m against irresponsible owners. From a causal observer .. there are plenty of those. Are irresponsible owners getting worse ? Yup
Old 07-25-2022, 04:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Some folks think everything their dog does is acceptable. A lot of us dog owners wish those people would abide by the rules and control their dogs.
Should we stay home so those people can be free of criticism? Or should they perhaps leave their poorly socialized, overly aggressive, untrained dogs at home?
While I do not stay at home I have learned to keep my moth shut.

What I have observed is that there is no bad dogs just bad owners.

I have trained 5 dogs from puppies. I have been 50% susseful with training dogs that have been abused.

Got my first dog when I was in the navy as a family pet and for protection of the familly when I was out to sea. I line trained her so she would not run in the street and get killed. Had to break her from digging, barking, and jumping up on people. Did not have to teach her to be protective of children. It came nautral.

A number of years later I was training, along with the now older kids, our second family pet. A co-worker and friend decided get get a dog from the same litter. I advised him that a puppy that mught grow to 175# required a lot of training.

When his dog was fully grown he came by with the intention of giving me the dog because he was moving. He opened the car door and the dog went full speed after one of our chickens killing it. He did not understand why I refused to take his dog.

My point is have a dog is a responsiblity.

I belong to a boat club with small camp ground. We have standing rules about being on a leash, being in the kitchen, or cleaning up after. Some follow the rules.

I have never seen at the club a hand gesture to get a dog to heel let alone a dog that is leash trained.

Every year it is nice to see how old friends are doing. How are the kids? Even know who to ask about the dogs.

One set of friend with multiple lap dogs got a Rotweiler puppy. I would do anything for them. In hindsight I should have offered dog training.

First time I see her this spring she has multiple casts. What happened, hit a another deer on the bike? No that was last year! Walikng the dog and he took off after something.

Gee haw!!!
Old 07-25-2022, 05:59 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi folks, thanks for everybodies’ thoughts but I really just posted this thread as a gentle joke on the sudden proliferation of threads about this or that pet peeve/aggravation that have sprung up recently. Peace out.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:06 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post

Where does it end!!!
Dogs will be dogs, unless they are trained. Years ago I had a dog that liked to chew on the water hose. She didn't do that for long before I broke her of that habit. In retrospect, I'm glad I never took her to a full hook up campground!
GPCPL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:21 PM   #12

I have more issues and problems with some people's kids. Was at a CG once and these kids kept cutting thru our site to get to the beach. We had a lake spot right by the beach but was not the beach access, it was down about 100/150 feet. After telling the. Same kids not to cut thru I quit being nice about it, I then recieved a visit from several angry dads, I am the wrong person to come yell at for your kids not listening and trespassing, I record everything I possibly can to protect myself. The arse kicking threats stopped and they retreated once I took off my shirt and they seen my belt, I also let them know I would be calling the sheriff to deal with them. Their kids quit using my lot as a through fair. Here is the big kicker, had they asked I would of let them pass thru, but just like their parents they were entitled little posts. I am now at a permanent site.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:25 PM   #13

Why is this post in the full-timing section? It should be moved to 'General', if posted at all. This is ridiculous.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:59 AM   #14

As someone else said, there are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog, dogs