Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #1

Automatic Credit Card Payments

Being full timers we have regular payments automatically paid for on our VISA card. One was an annual renewal of our Norton Antivirus program. It was scheduled to renew this month. BUT, since we purchased a new computer with a different security program we sent a letter to Norton to not autopay the premium. Also, VISA had given us new cards with new account numbers so we didn't think Norton could charge our new cards. But they can and did. It seems that some companies are able to force payments onto new credit card accounts from the old closed out credit card accounts, whether you like it or not. About three phone calls got it squared away, but it's scary what these companies can do. And you CANNOT tell VISA or Mastercard to not pay an automatic payment. And unless you request and can prove you asked the auto payment be cancelled, by the company collecting the payment, you are liable. So, everyone should be aware of what is going on. Be alert.
shadrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Dump Norton.. there are several free solutions.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #3

Symantec, Norton's parent company is very hard to get good customer satisfaction from. My only contact with a live person was after many attempts, finally got one in Mumbai! And, could not help me.

Like the other poster said, dump Norton. Go to Avast, way better, and free

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing. That is really scarry.

rick

PS: my one time using Semantic customer support chat line was actually pretty positive.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My son is a computer engineer and works for EXPERIAN one of the 3 credit reporting companys in the USA. We have used KASPERSKY for several years and love it. The program cost a little more, but worth it. Call the bank the card is on and threaten to contact the FTC if the charges are not reversed or taken care of.
okie-dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
If my credit card company refused to cooperate with my wishes, I'd "DUMP" the credit card co.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
This is one reason I do not use a credit cards for automatic payments. I use on-line banking so that I decide who gets paid and when.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:50 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm sorry to hear this as I was thinking about doing the same thing as you did, guess I will try the on line banking, although not happy about that either.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #9

If you go online to the Norton site and cancel the autopayment, it works a lot better than a letter because you turn off the switch by canceling online.
sandersmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
This is one reason I do not use a credit cards for automatic payments. I use on-line banking so that I decide who gets paid and when.
In addition to using on-line banking, you can set up automatic payments the same as with a credit card. The good thing about on-line banking is you can update it or cancel it in real time. No delays.

Credit card companies are just loan sharks in disguise.

Dave
Old 12-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #11

We don't use Symantec anymore. And we pay off the credit card every month. It's most convenient for us to have automatic payments made for the Verizon, DirecTV, Escapee yearly dues, Good Sam dues, and the like instead of waiting and possibly being late because of the lag time in having mail forwarded. And we always pay the card off with online banking. My point was that these places can force thru a charge onto a new credit card number from the old expired card. I spoke with both VISA and U S Bank people and they stated they could do nothing to halt this practice. Take it for what it'd worth.
shadrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrack View Post
My point was that these places can force thru a charge onto a new credit card number from the old expired card. I spoke with both VISA and U S Bank people and they stated they could do nothing to halt this practice. Take it for what it'd worth.
And a good point it was. Hopefully it's eye opening for a lot of us. I use my credit card for nearly everything and have all repeating bills automatically paid by the CC and then my credit union automatically pays my CC bill each month. This allows me to track nearly all expense via Quicken very easily and we've just built checking the charges against our CC into our regular Quicken updates.

It is a little shocking that a company can force through a charge on an account which was never authorized to pay it but I think I would just submit a fraud claim with my CC company... something I've had to do a few times in the past... and they reverse the charges and place the burden of proof on the vendor who charged the card.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
Ditto
patty98311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #14
paz

That's the reason we don't like to set up automatic payments from either the credit card or our checking account. It's too hard to stop them.

We have numerous companies and entities set up as payees from our checking account, but the bank does not release payment until we review the bill (received online) and say "OK." For monthly payments, we use our email to send ourselves a reminder just in case the bill doesn't come through. We've had online bill notifications get stuck in our spam folder.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote