Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 12:15 PM   #99

Local news just reported 16,000 linemen are here. Astounding
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 12:32 PM   #100

Analysis Tuesday 9/27.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/
Old 09-28-2022, 07:26 AM   #101

We have tree crews heading down there from here. Independent companies. My son in law works for a tree service/ logging company. They are servicing their trucks, trailers and equipment in case they decide to go down. They are already backed up here but the money is better down there and there is a need. My son in law asked me if I wanted to drive a U-Haul truck down filled with spare equipment and parts. I told him no. I'll stay put and see if the storm takes a turn or path and remnants of it come here.
On top of that I had double hernia surgery two weeks ago. I don't think I'm up to bouncing around in the seat of a large truck just yet.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:37 AM   #102

My God!
CAT 5 now and moving very slow.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #103

We're in northern Citrus County and SO FAR we have had light rains, about 1/2 inch, and light breezes with light overcast. Forecast for our areas in winds to 35MPH with possible gust to 40 as the storm passes to the west and north of us. Much less than we expected 48 hours ago. We had planned to head for Alabama but mechanical problems nixed that. Glad now we stayed local although we did move out of the RV park because of trees. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:23 AM   #104

I'm certainly glad we vacated our leased winter lot Monday. The areas around Avon Park and Frostproof got some serious weather yesterday and last night. I'm waiting for a couple friends to make their way into the resort and survey the damage. My steel shed on the lot was rated for 100mph winds so I am hoping the Harley is still intact.

Even though Ian never actually reached a Cat-5 (missed it by 2mph), it was a slow moving devastating hurricane. Hoping the initial report from Lee County (Ft Myers) that hundreds are head is wrong. The county just north of there (Charlotte) is where we have a close friend we haven't been able to get in touch with. Praying for her safety.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:33 AM   #105

Post Ian update from Fort Myers, FL:

Looking out the window (downtown Fort Myers), looks like about half the boats in Old Bridge Marina at the north end of the Edison bridge are sunk.

Can't see the Fort Myers Municipal Marina from here, but they should have faired better, as the highest winds were from their shore/no fetch.

Homes in many areas of Fort Myers had 4' of water in them from the tide surge.

The bridge over to Sanibel Island is missing a span of over 100 yards (according to local TV station who had film from that location) so no vehicle access on and off Sanibel or Captiva.

The TV station across the street recorded winds over 100 MPH.

It ain't pretty!
Old 09-29-2022, 12:37 PM   #106

Whoever stayed on the barrier islands are probably missing. That was a powerful storm. The people that were there for Charlie got a false sense of sercurity, Charlie was a small storm not very large area wise. Ian once on shore practically covered from the Gulf to the Atlantic. That’s 150 miles, lots of wind and water in that much area.

Hopefully not many have died, but it looks mighty torn up down there.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:23 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Post Ian update from Fort Myers, FL:

Looking out the window (downtown Fort Myers), looks like about half the boats in Old Bridge Marina at the north end of the Edison bridge are sunk.

Can't see the Fort Myers Municipal Marina from here, but they should have faired better, as the highest winds were from their shore/no fetch.

Top picture and next to last picture is the marina right across the Caloosahatchee River from us (mentioned above). Looks like my estimate of number of boats damages was way low.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...4204693a299ae2

Legacy Harbor Marina near downtown Fort Myers faired even worse. And, those were mostly high $$$ boats.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:50 AM   #108

Unfortunately these monster storms seem to have become the norm.

We lived not far from Gainesville for 21 years.

Matthew got us thinking and Irma made the decision for us.

After we got everything cleaned up.... the house went on the market. Sold quick and we never looked back. With the insurance crisis now going on we're even happier we left. We now spend summers in the NE and winters in the SW. Couldn't be happier.
RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:01 AM   #109

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Yep, hurricanes are the norm:
It’s how it’s always been. Thankfully none in our lifetimes have been like Galveston in 1900. Better forecasting, tracking, building codes, and evacuations have prevented another 145 mph storm from killing so many.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1729.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	377722  
Old 10-01-2022, 11:28 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Thankfully none in our lifetimes have been like Galveston in 1900. Better forecasting, tracking, building codes, and evacuations have prevented another 145 mph storm from killing so many.
No question about it....

We came across on I-10 after Michael which had 161 mph sustained and there were literally thousands of acres of topped out pine trees along the freeway. It was a very surreal sight to see such damage so far inland from landfall.
RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:09 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
Local news just reported 16,000 linemen are here. Astounding
Thinking of you and all others affected by this storm. I hope you and your family are safe.
GonetoRaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:23 PM   #112

FPL sent me a text. 23,000 linemen from 30 states. We lost power for 2 days
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane