Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2022, 06:04 AM   #1

Avoiding Hurricanes

Looks like tropical storm #9 will develop into a cat-2 hurricane in the next few days. Most early models have it coming into the Gulf of Mexico and making landfall on the Florida coast. Two of the models have it coming within 75 miles of our leased site we just got set up on for the winter.

We will make a decision over the next couple of days on towing back out of Florida. I guess there are several things to influence the final question of staying or going. How strong will it be and how close will it come?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2022, 07:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Looks like Ft Myers Beach is in it's track at this time. In 3 hours you can be on the east coast of Florida easy if need be. Check out John Prince Park in Lake Worth for a spot to stay at while it blows over, if it does at all.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:40 AM   #3

Make sure if you decide to run, you decide early. Traffic trying to escape a storm can be crazy.

Not familiar with Florida roads, but when Gustav hit south Louisiana in 2008(?), it took my family all day to just travel from Baton Rouge to Shreveport, where I met them and drove them the rest of the way to our house. I-49 was bumper-to-bumper, all the way to Shreveport, 200 miles north if I-10.

I remember fleeing Bob when we were in Destin on vacation in 1995(?), minor storm, traffic was a bit tough, but we managed to get to Biloxi fairly smoothly.

I stayed home with a Cat 3 (George) hitting us when we lived in Long Beach, MS. It was the right decision, I was able to protect my house and make emergency repairs after the storm passed. Cat 4, I would have ran. In any RV, I would run if a tropical storm threatened.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:04 AM   #4

By Monday they should have a better idea where the storm is going to land and about how strong it will be. That would be the day to leave if you are in it’s path. I guess you could watch some traffic cams to monitor the traffic to get of the rush.

Just think of the times when you were driving with a strong crosswind. I can’t imagine being in an rv even in a Cat 1 hurricane. If 18 wheelers get blown over with 50-60mph winds, an rv will be similar.

Looks like everyone from the Keys to Tampa will be watching this storm.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #5

Tried to avoid Irma and went to north Florida in the RV from Tampa since it looked like it was heading right for us, instead went south then straight up, got worse weather in north Florida than Tampa did and got stuck up there for a few days because everyone was trying to get back and gas stations had no power on I75.

Had friends that went to Atlanta, same thing they got it worse up there than Tampa did and also couldn't get back for a few days.

Things change right up to last minute with these storms and just a slight course change means one side of Florida or the other. If your going to leave you really have to go pretty far, like say NC to be sure not be clear of the weather from it.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Tried to avoid Irma and went to north Florida in the RV from Tampa since it looked like it was heading right for us, instead went south then straight up, got worse weather in north Florida than Tampa did and got stuck up there for a few days because everyone was trying to get back and gas stations had no power on I75.

Had friends that went to Atlanta, same thing they got it worse up there than Tampa did and also couldn't get back for a few days.

Things change right up to last minute with these storms and just a slight course change means one side of Florida or the other. If your going to leave you really have to go pretty far, like say NC to be sure not be clear of the weather from it.
All you say is very true. I would have thought Atlanta was a relatively safe place to be. Further inland, at least the winds die down a bit.

When Hurricane George hit in September, 1998, all of the forecasters were predicting that it would hit New Orleans, except for this old guy that one station pulled out of a retirement center. On his blackboard, he surmised that George would hit somewhere between Biloxi & Ocean Springs. The eye of the hurricane crossed over the Biloxi Bay Bridge that joins Biloxi and Ocean Springs. He nailed it. In the 4 years we lived on the Coast, we were threatened many times, only to have a storm veer east or west of us at the last minute. George was our only encounter while we lived there.

Katrina is most associated with New Orleans. However, the damage that was wrought on the Mississippi Gulf Coast was devastating, totally wiping buildings off the face of the earth.

Wind with a vehicle like an RV is nothing to mess with. I was in Grand Isle, that is, Grand Isle, Nebraska, one January. Ice storm hit the night before I was to head back to Omaha to catch a flight. Driving the interstate to Omaha, I was amazed how many trucks had been blown off the road and into the corn & wheat fields along the highway.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Make sure if you decide to run, you decide early. Traffic trying to escape a storm can be crazy.

Not familiar with Florida roads, but when Gustav hit south Louisiana in 2008(?), it took my family all day to just travel from Baton Rouge to Shreveport, where I met them and drove them the rest of the way to our house. I-49 was bumper-to-bumper, all the way to Shreveport, 200 miles north if I-10.

I remember fleeing Bob when we were in Destin on vacation in 1995(?), minor storm, traffic was a bit tough, but we managed to get to Biloxi fairly smoothly.

I stayed home with a Cat 3 (George) hitting us when we lived in Long Beach, MS. It was the right decision, I was able to protect my house and make emergency repairs after the storm passed. Cat 4, I would have ran. In any RV, I would run if a tropical storm threatened.
Bob was Aug '91.
Was a hurricane that hit southern New England.
Was at SWOS school in Newport RI at the time.
markandkim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:33 AM   #8

They are estimating cat 3 now. Wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a cat 4. I would fuel up today and be ready to move out if necessary on Monday. Going east would be a good bet. They die out pretty fast once they hit land.
outlawten5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:46 AM   #9

Fueled and loaded . Wondering which way to evacuate
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:33 AM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
As Fulltimer Nomads......If We were anywhere near the Gulf [TX/LA/MS/AL/FL] I would just grab the Open Roads fuel card, and download the Mudflap App on My Phone and be headed for higher elevations Before nightfall Friday.... You know TN or MO..School is in session, plenty of RV campgrounds available...and the tree leaves are just starting to turn.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
Bob was Aug '91.
Was a hurricane that hit southern New England.
Was at SWOS school in Newport RI at the time.
I was remembering wrong, it was Allison in 1995 that I had to run from.

Now, I need to remember which Bob is stored in my memory banks, as it was not the 1991 version of Bob.

Too many hurricanes over the years. Betsy, Camille, George, Katrina, Gustave, Ike, Harvey are some of the ones I remember well and dealt with on some scale, if nothing more than getting out of school because of the threat.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey cat View Post
Fueled and loaded . Wondering which way to evacuate
Smart. Just left Murphy station at Walmart and they were packed. Saw 2 tankers on Summerlin going home. If I were to evacuate it would be early Monday. Where is your camp?
outlawten5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
Smart. Just left Murphy station at Walmart and they were packed. Saw 2 tankers on Summerlin going home. If I were to evacuate it would be early Monday. Where is your camp?
North pinellas co
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:33 PM   #14

We are on the Westbank outside of New Orleans. Our plan was the leave Oct 3rd for KY, but are preparing to leave early if needed.

Tags
hurricane