Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacy View Post
Recently I have seen a bank in a couple of Walmarts. Don't know if Walmart is going into banking business or just leasing space .
Either way if there is a bank in every super wm then that might be a good alternative
It depends on the store, and not just Walmart has them, depends on what bank it has in it or credit union. I have seen just about every major bank in them. Some are just a teller or 2 and some have a full blown bank with a loan officer. The Albertsons near us has a Wells Fargo thou I have also seen BoA in Albertsons too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #30

We will never use a debit card, no security what so ever. Your bank will tell you that. We use credit cards for purchase and cash. We transfer monies via a tablet from accounts as we need it. No need for us to ever need a sb bank. We have trained our bank manager before we went fulltime to our lifestyle with no changes. We do let the security officer at our bank that is over our credit cards as to where we are traveling or staying for a while for our security. This works extremely well for us and them to keep our cc acounts safe. Our Verizon bill is on draft and we receive receipts of payment via email, no paper at all. Once we changed our old habits and went electronic online banking it works very conveinant and safe. No we don't ever use free wifi at fast food joints.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
I'm Leary of banks and would rather deal with CU's, but is a trend worth watching
Old 08-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #32

KZ RV Club
Has anyone had a challenge with their credit cards? We have continued to bank with Schools Credit Union (local to Sacramento area) and use their bill pay online. They are part of a network of credit unions, so I can go in to a local one wherever we are if I need to. The challenge we found was with our visa from them. Every third purchase it would shut down for "security reasons" and I'd feel like a criminal at a local grocery store. Their challenge is that they have our S. Dakota mail forwarding address as our local area, and every time I use it out of that area it sets off security alerts.

Fortunately, before John fully retired, we applied for and obtained a Capital One Visa. It doesn't seem to have the same security settings, and I just make sure that I get online and check the charges daily.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We also have a South Dakota domicile but we belong to two credit unions in California
We have never had any challenges from the credit union's however we have had our credit cards compromised to the point where we will guard them with great deal of vigilance.
And earlier post to this forum I describe how we protect our credit cards and it seems to work perfectly well we have two accounts one with all the money and no debit card the other with no money and debit card before we use the "no money debit card" I transfer money into The debit card account and when we're done at the end of the day I bring it back to two or three cents.
that way if somebody gets our card and compromise it they try to use it and the card will be declined thus saving us money and hassle and frustrating the criminal

Ph.D. Psychology, Applied Sports Psychology
Old 08-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Alliant credit union is apparently nationwide it used to be an airlines credit union so they are in every major airport city throughout the US.
In no way am I endorsing this credit union this is simply for your information but if you asked for an endorsement it would be negative

Old 08-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Alliant CU used to Unites Airlines CU and may have offices or kiosks on major cities. I can't recommend this CU for intelligence, not making the member responsible for fixing company errors, common courtesy in business practices, or timely response to business issues.
But, they are spread thought the US!

Old 08-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #36

Banking

Don't use the ATM.....go inside any bank with your Debit card...ask for a cash advance...never had a fee in 5 years.
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1dgh View Post
. The challenge we found was with our visa from them. Every third purchase it would shut down for "security reasons" and I'd feel like a criminal at a local grocery store. Their challenge is that they have our S. Dakota mail forwarding address as our local area, and every time I use it out of that area it sets off security alerts.
Having high security on your credit cards is a good thing. However, you might call your credit card and give them a heads up on your situation of moving around so they can put that notation on the card.

With our credit cards before crossing into another state we call and let them know or we let them know we'll be traveling in, say, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona for the next five months. This way we don't get shut down. We also keep track online of our card accounts to make sure there are no strange charges.

With our cards we can also have them alert us if there are charges made over a certain amount than what would be normal for us. If we plan to make a large purchase like tires or a computer, we'll alert them, also.

Keep in mind that strange charges made can always be challenged. After they do some checking you'll find that you're not responsible for them.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #38

I agree with Wincrasher: Because of its near-ubiquitous presence, Bank of America (BofA to me) is convenient while traveling. My BofA cards are always accepted when I travel, even all the way across the country and back. Good luck!
kmsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #39

We use Ally for our bank. They have easy on-line access to your money for bill-paying, transfers, etc - and they reimburse all ATM fees regardless of where you get cash.

We hardly ever use cash (instead we use a reward credit card). But when we do need some, we tap any ATM and Ally reimburses the fee back into our account (even if it's a $5 fee). It's a small thing in the big picture - but it's one of those smart customer service ideas that builds loyalty.
Hertzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:47 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1dgh View Post

Fortunately, before John fully retired, we applied for and obtained a Capital One Visa. It doesn't seem to have the same security settings, and I just make sure that I get online and check the charges daily.
As the sayn' goes, "What's in your wallet?"

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
As the sayn' goes, "What's in your wallet?"

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Love It

We pay for every itsy bitsy thing we can with our credit card which we have paid an annual fee for years to get travel rewards. Never used any of the rewards for over 11 years and from 2009 until this past year have flown many times back and forth free of charge. Shame we now have to build it back up again, and paying for flights in the interim again is a bummer but .......

We also like that whenever there was an authorized charge 3 x in past two years and never before, they credit it and also a portion of interest that might have been due when we mention that to them. We pay ours off every month however so no interest.

We do calculate with some businesses though, such as gas stations that charge a premium if paying with credit card.

We use TD Canadatrust for Credit Card and Canadian Banking generally (their banking fees are getting ridiculous), and we also have BofA chequing and credit card which has worked well with their availability almost everywhere we've been.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote