Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2022, 08:42 PM   #1

Beginning to Fulltime Nightmares

We had experience with Motorhomes some years ago and totally loved it. We have always dreamed of full timing. We finally did it, this past April. We sold the house and just about everything in it. We bought a 2014 Foretravel IH45. It is a beauty. We had it totally serviced and checked out. We drove away very excited that we finally did it. From the beginning one thing after another has been a problem or gone wrong. No internet, crack in the windshield, wiring problems for the toad. There are other minor problems, but the straw thatís breaking this camels back happened Saturday. While on the way to a campground in Tennessee on I24, there was metal debris in the road. Considering we are 45í long towing a pickup, you canít exactly swerve like you can in a car. Well, the metal kicked up and caught our transmission. We were dead in the water on the side of the road for 10 hours before a wrecker could make it to us. This is going to cost mega bucks. Iím so close to tossing in the towel. Can anyone talk me off this ledge? Iím not sure this was the right decision. Iím 74 and hubs is 75. Maybe we waited too long to do this.
lucy460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2022, 08:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy460 View Post
We had experience with Motorhomes some years ago and totally loved it. We have always dreamed of full timing. We finally did it, this past April. We sold the house and just about everything in it. We bought a 2014 Foretravel IH45. It is a beauty. We had it totally serviced and checked out. We drove away very excited that we finally did it. From the beginning one thing after another has been a problem or gone wrong. No internet, crack in the windshield, wiring problems for the toad. There are other minor problems, but the straw thatís breaking this camels back happened Saturday. While on the way to a campground in Tennessee on I24, there was metal debris in the road. Considering we are 45í long towing a pickup, you canít exactly swerve like you can in a car. Well, the metal kicked up and caught our transmission. We were dead in the water on the side of the road for 10 hours before a wrecker could make it to us. This is going to cost mega bucks. Iím so close to tossing in the towel. Can anyone talk me off this ledge? Iím not sure this was the right decision. Iím 74 and hubs is 75. Maybe we waited too long to do this.
Your going to have break-in issues for sure. Rving is still, in my opinion the best way to see our beautiful country.

With that said, being handy is helpful but in the case such as yours, having a credit card with a high limit is essential. You may want to consider calling your insurance company and put in a claim.

Besides, what is more fun than fixing these moving houses?

Safe travels
Old 07-03-2022, 09:09 PM   #3

Hi Lucy, welcome to iRV2, and very sorry to hear of your misfortune.

The toad wiring should have been done right by the installer. Unfortunately there are plenty of folks doing this work who do not do it well and sometimes do not do it right, at all. If it's been put right, you can put it in the 'done' column.

The windshield crack really falls into the "stuff that happens" category. So does the debris in the highway.

Call your insurance agent or claims line. Road hazards are usually covered. Check to see if your policy covers your cracked windshield. Hopefully this will not be nearly as costly to you as it may appear right now.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:11 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
If you have insurance your comprehensive may provide coverage. Give them a call and see what they say.

As to your age, if you're in good health go for it. I just turned 79 and still thinking of a diesel motorhome. Two gassers over the past 10 years and no regrets.

Things can and do go wrong with any RV. Our first RV was a new travel trailer. Pulled it with a 3 year old F250 diesel. Spent may days at the dealer fixing things. Our two gassers, both used when we purchased them have been relatively problem free. Relatively meaning probably not more than $10,000 in repairs.

Owning an RV can be expensive. On our current trip, the braking system on our toad failed. Then the water pump stopped working. The access door to our water heater blew off last week. Then our LP detector died. It's just part of the life style. No different than owning a home. Only thing about the home is getting it fixed isn't any where near as complicated.

Bottom line, if you can afford the cost of repairs, do so and continue enjoying the lifestyle.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb1st View Post

Bottom line, if you can afford the cost of repairs, do so and continue enjoying the lifestyle.
I totally agree with the above statement. You were looking forward to this adventure and you've sold nearly everything in preparation.

You've only been traveling for two months and unfortunately, things happened all at once and they weren't your fault. All travelers have things happen. We even fell through an old septic tank with our 40' motorhome! Well... the back end anyway. Had to build a road under it to be able to drive out.

Think positive and keep going. I think you'd regret it if you stopped so soon. . . and no, you're not too old.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:32 AM   #6

Such good advice here. I'm the type that is ready to throw the towel in every time something goes wrong. But I've hung in for the last 10 years and glad I did. The debris on the highway was a freak accident, hopefully insurance covers it.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:20 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree check with your insurance carrier for coverage. Also do you have a Roadside Assistance policy? This will cover basically all of your tow bill, which can be thousands of dollars. If not get it for future travel.

Good luck and don't throw in the towel yet. I am 72 and wife is 66. Many more years of FT ahead for us.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:03 PM   #8

You'll probably have insurance coverage for the transmission.

On this year's jaunt I spent $2800.00 to get the generator fixed. Last year I had the furnace rebuilt again. A few years ago I did a brake job ($3,000.00) and bought new tires. In 2014 I bought a rebuilt transmission.

At 29 years, The Queen's Barge is just getting broken in.

You own a house on wheels rather than a house. If in a house a hailstorm destroys your houses roof you buy a new roof, right? Or replace it every 10 years of so. If your water heater blows up you replace it. If the a/c dies you replace it. Nothing different in an RV; things break and get damaged. But house stuff cost lots more.

Every ship whether on sea or land has a gripe list, a list of things to fix. Always.

Be sure you have sufficient and appropriate insurance. And immediately buy a roadside emergency service from CoachNet. More expensive but by far the best. https://coach-net.com
Old 07-04-2022, 06:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Road hazard is an insurance claim I would think. You hit an object , same as hitting a pole in a lot. Same for the glass , some states are 0 deductible on glass as a separate part of the policy. Thatís why we carry insurance.
That said , weíve spent a lot on things breaking .. to imagine a care free no problem adventure is great but not realistic. It costs , yes but as long as it doesnít cut into your exit plan itís just part of the adventure. My first year was about 10 grand as the radiator gave up. All in for 8 years and 60,000 miles now on an older coach my m&r cost ( I keep a spreadsheet) are near 50 grand Ö. but that includes it all Ö. except fuel.
What was your budget to care for the rig? I set aside about 8-10% of its value ea year. If youíve done something similar youíll be fine. Itíll all be ok in the long run if youíve made a plan and just stick to it
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:37 PM   #10

Hey, take a deep breath. It will be ok. My dream coach is a Dutch Star and we ordered ours this year. So excited with our third Newmar Coach. First was new in 1988 and was a gas Kountry Star. Second new in 2017 and was a Ventana.

Now on our planned trip to Alaska. The full wall slide was sagging and the dealer shimmed it. Guess what, it’s still sagging and I can see light at the top of the slide out. The half bath macerator toilet sounds like it’s chewing the floor up when you flush it.

We got to Golden BC yesterday to head to Banff today, but the jacks refuse to go down. The back of the theater seating is broken and is resting on the wall and the wood valance. Banff is BEAUTIFUL!

I could go on, but I think you probably get the picture. We are frustrated with the poor quality Newmar delivered to us, but this trip has been on my bucket list over 30 years. We’re enjoying every mile so far and will deal with all these problems when we get back.

Please remember, if it’s mechanical it will break. Enjoy the lifestyle and don’t let these disturbances ruin your dream. I really hope you continue your dream.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post

Now on our planned trip to Alaska.
I hope you're aware of the road collapse on the Alaskan Hwy. Check out detour in advance. The Cassier would be an option.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:23 AM   #12

Lucy460, full time traveling is not always a "cheap" way to live. Even though your RV is only 8 years old it will require regular maintenance and repair, probably more than you are used to. Things will happen on the road and it is all just a part of the lifestyle.

It seems you had a couple of bad luck runs early on. I guess you just weigh the good against the bad and decide if you guys want to continue the adventure or give it up.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:41 AM   #13

Suggest checking your insurance for coverage and getting yourself a low deductible service plan. Besides insurance, we also have an extended service plan on the trailer and motorhome.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Lucy460, full time traveling is not always a "cheap" way to live. Even though your RV is only 8 years old it will require regular maintenance and repair, probably more than you are used to. Things will happen on the road and it is all just a part of the lifestyle.

It seems you had a couple of bad luck runs early on. I guess you just weigh the good against the bad and decide if you guys want to continue the adventure or give it up.
exactly, it is going to cost more at times than living a traditional lifestyle at times.

You have to maintain your home, so it isn't any different whatever you live in.
Hot water tanks go out, furnaces go out, appliances go out, now you have a vehicle to add to the list of things that can break.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltime