Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to nrc1963
Wink Best Fulltime RV Book for a Newbie Anyone?

I am seriously contemplating Going fulltime in a RV. I am simply looking for a better lifestyle. One were I can say I will always have a roof over my head.
I understand there is a lot of maint issues. I for the past 45 years have been a handyman. doing light electrical plumbing. as well as some advanced carpentry and steel work. all in addition to technology. Apts are not as secure as a place of residence anymore because landlords are loosing their properties rapidly. I research this site and many others for the past several years now and things are so bad in this area of new york I am now under threat. I am going to a show in Feb. in Rockland County, N.Y. to the Northeast RV show. But I would like to get a God book or books that cover all the ABC,s of full time RVing. From Purchasing to Maint, to most common issues also one that covers generators and solar power. Any Ideas.
nrc1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last time I looked (a couple years ago) there wasn't very much info on full timing in one book. I bought a book of RV tips and a book about domicile for every state. I found most info I needed from google and this forum. There are many blogs on the web about full timing that follow the bloggers experiences from day one.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
The best information is to read several forum and to read the blogs of people who post on those forums!

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
paz

I agree with Barbaraok on checking forums and in fulltimers' blogs. It may take a bit of time, but you will find a lot of good information. Forums are a good place to ask specific questions.

That being said, the best book I ever read on the mechanics of full-timing was the Complete Guide to Fulltime RVing: Life on the Open Road by Bill and Jan Moeller. Unfortunately, the book was last updated in 1998, and much of the information in it may be out of date. A lot has changed in the way of cell phones, internet and other forms of communication. Homeland Security and the Patriot Act have complicated things a little as well.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Nick. We fulltime and we never read any books on it. We have our box of manuals for RV related problems. We have learned by trial and error alot of times. But the best resourse we found was this forum. Not only have the good people on here answered questions but just reading the different threads help. The bonus is meeting so many new friends and camping with people from this forum. Good luck on your purchase and we hope to see you on the road someday. Let us all know how you make out. Hard to fathom a bunch of strangers caring, but you will find that we do.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I studied and read numerous books for 7 years before we retired and then started fulltiming. I tried to get as much information about fulltiming, the different types of rigs, insurance, maintenance, domicile, as I could before we took the step. I would recommend reading several, because each author will have a little different take on the subject. Ron Jones' books are good reads and I went to his seminar at the Rally in Albuquerque. Be aware that "fulltiming" will be different for you than it is for others. The only way to be sure is to do it. Some people find they do not like this lifestyle while others find it enjoyable and do not wish to go back to a sticks and bricks.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltime, newbie