Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Boltable fire resistant box recommendations

Hi everyone!

I'm approaching the end of my first year of full time RV living in my class A and I'm totally loving it! I didn't freeze my butt off this winter, didn't have to shovel 3 m, (9 feet), plus of snow, didn't have to wait 15 minutes for my car to warm up long enough to be able to start scrapping the ice off of my windshield! I have decided to keep on living this way, (as a friend of mine said, "You have two passports and a pension, why are you here?").

Which brings me to the problem of having 2 passports, (US and Canadian), plus US military ID, birth certificates etc. I am currently spending my summers just north of Montreal, Canada and my winters in central Florida and I need both of my passports for getting across the borders. Since my girlfriend will be joining me this winter that's another 2 passports, (Canadian and EU), that need to be secured.

I have found a lot of post for simple lock boxes or hiding the safe somewhere in the coach, but someone breaking in will probably tear the place apart like they did when my house got broken into and just walk away with the lock box to open at their convenience later.

Can anyone recommend a small fireproof box that can be bolted down? I understand that most fireproof boxes are only rated for 1/2 hour, but I don't see my rig burning for longer than that in a worst case scenario.

Thanks!

zog

US Army veteran, USAF disabled veteran, (yes, I served in both branches).
zogthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Walmart stocks several kinds in all their stores.

Harbor Freight has them, too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogthegreat View Post
I understand that most fireproof boxes are only rated for 1/2 hour, but I don't see my rig burning for longer than that in a worst case scenario.
From reports of RV fires I would say that a fire in your RV would certainly burn more than 1/2 hour. They go up very fast because of the materials used in RVs. Your RV could be burned to the ground in 1/2 hour. You really have only time to get yourself out.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I think that I will just get a security safe like this one:

SentrySafe .4 cu ft Security Safe - Walmart.com

It can be bolted down and I can install it below the bed in the front part that can't be lifted up. Since it will be out of sight, bolted to the floor of the slide out and covered by the wood of the bed frame, it should do at least keep my documents safe and out of site.

I might grab one of these fire resistant document bags for a little more "just in case" safety:

Amazon.com: U.S. Patrol JB5076 Fire Resistant Document Bag: Home Improvement

Thanks to powercat_ras for the heads up on Walmart.

US Army veteran, USAF disabled veteran, (yes, I served in both branches).
zogthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire