Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #1

Buy a piece of land vs deeded RV lot ideas

Our plan is to be full timing by fall, going with 5th wheel camper. Home is sold to relative with no real pressure on an exact leave date, was bought as an investment.

We have mom-in-law with Alzhiemers and DW wants to have a home base somewhat nearby for visiting, without cost and upkeep of a home. There are some deeded RV lots nearby for 20k, can build structure if desired but not our plan. I have been looking at land for sale and it would seem more economical to buy a small piece of land and install utilities and pad and septic than pay 20k for a 25x70 lot, with maintenance fees and you are on your own electric meter.

Any advice, has anyone done this? mom is 92 but has great body health, just mind going. Dr says 2 yrs ? Not sure? We have been sole caregivers for 6 yrs and wife can't stay in house once her mom is in nursing home. Full time RVing has been our dream retirement but cutting strings to mom is difficult. Budget is tight also.

We have traveled extensively in younger yrs we are both 58, so not really worried about burning the road up.

All advice, experiences welcomed and thanks in advance
Randy Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
You may have issues getting a septic permit depending on the locality your in. Provided that a septic permit is issued, it may still be pricey installing a system that meets local codes. Since you do not indicate where you are planning to live, I can't say much more.

Also consider where you will be getting your water. Digging a well can be pricey too!

Good luck with your quest.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Many places (all localities near me) do not allow people to put trailers on property zoned residential. In my county, a single RV can be stored in a shed, carport, side yard or backyard, but it cannot be connected to utilities or anything that prevents easy removal. The only way it could be done around here is on non-residential acreage.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #4

we had 2 RV lots in Tennessee, things at the park became a nghtmare with HOA arguments and people suing each other and it is still going on there. If you want i can give you more specific info in a private message.
I recommend to buy land, even if you have to build a shop that looks like a house from the outside with windows, porch and all. Have one end to open up and all open on the inside for pull the RV in and stay there, that allows you to later come back if you wish and finish the interior of the house when tired of traveling and settle there! Just an ideal, good luck either path you choose!

T&S
SDM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #5

Heck of a lot of outlay for a fairly short period. My highest respects to your MIL.

I am assuming you will end up mobil, touring the continent. Tough to do while tied down, and maybe in debt.

Why not rent?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #6

Sorry about limited original info, We currently have two homes on Lake Guntersville, Al. with MIL in one house next door. Most all of the northeastern part of Al. is rural with exception of a a few cities and the land generally perks good. Have been a homebuilder so know basic cost of the septic system. Have been looking in North Ala. North Ga. and south Tenn. Most of the lots I have found generally already have a septic tank water and utility pole, on site and cost are 5-10k. In Ga I have run into restrictions on RVs, looking at one north of Chattanooga with no restrictions and in general Most of Marshall and Jackson county Al. are ok with the RV setup. Obviously not in city limits. also looked into land in Fla. and so far RVs are not allowed but seems to be on a county by county basis.
The comment made by one about lawsuits and such are what concerned me about the deeded RV communities. We have two very close by and have visited them and chatted with property owners, seems like a brewing pot for trouble. Also one has changed ownership of management folks 3 times with fees going up each time. Amenities promised never been built, basic infrastructure issues etc.
Feedback relative to RV deeded communities would be great.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #7

Oh. Fulltime for you folks is living in an RV. And still own 2 homes. I understand! It is what some folks want.

So, just fulltime RV living and no travel?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think that you should go with a private lot, it will cost less in the long run. And when you do finally get to roam a bit, it will be there for you to land on to rest up for the next adventure. Best wishes in getting it settled, and your mind eased.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:09 AM   #9

Having a private lot is exactly what I am wanting to do. JudyH said it perfect to what we are looking for. The only difference from the OP is I want it in Louisiana and if possible on a lake or river. We would have a small storage building to hold some minimum items for use when we are at the site.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We are doing exactly as you describe. We purchased a 1 1/4 acre lot on a hard surface road. Very private, all utilities are there. We have a 50x80 foot building so we can park inside with all slides out, or outside. 50 amp both places. Septic system also. This is where we hang out in-between trips. We look at this as the best of both worlds, bought it right and has good resale value. Do your research and you will find what you are looking for.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #11

Homes are sold- read OP, sorry if you can't understand situation, goal is to travel but we do not have a burning need to ride as much as a change of scenery occasionally and peace of mind.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #12

As mentioned the cost of a lot and the necessary utilities may be more expensive in the long run. We had a house in the country several years ago. The cost of a septic system will cost in the $5000.00 to $10,000.00 range depending on the type of soil and drainage.

A well is going to cost another $5,000.00 or more depending on the depth of the water table and the type of material you have to dig through.

Then you'll need electricity to run the well pump, all the amenities in your
5th wheel, and the pump in the septic system if one is necessary. The cost to run the lines and setup the service will be around $1,000.00 plus a minimum monthly charge of around $30.00.

You'll also need to have a driveway graded in and a pad poured to support the trailer. That will add another $2,500.00 to $5,000.00 depending on the lay of the land and the size of the pad.

Last but not least you need to know if the property you're interested in is zoned to allow parking a trailer there on a semi permanent basis.

Once you take all these things into consideration don't forget you'll probably have to pay annual property taxes on the "improved" land.

It might turn out to be the best option, however if you plan to leave within a couple years I doubt you'd get your investment back. Maybe leasing a lot with all the services already in place would be more in line.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #13

One factor that would help me decide would be how much socializing do you desire. Some folks want to park out by themselves and not be bothered by others. Some enjoy the ammenities and friendship often found in a 55+ community.

Might I suggest temporarily renting a place to park to "test the waters". The fulltime lifestyle will be a learning curve for you. Your ideas of what is best may change with new experiences fulltiming provides for you. I know personally, my wife and I have changed our minds, more than once, about what we want/need. We too are in our upper 50's. All the best to you as you work through a difficult time with elder parents.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #14

In many places you can't get a power pole without a permanent home being there. And that is the case where I live. But the RV park down the road sales sites.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote