Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #1

Buying groceries

Sorry if this was previously discussed but the search feature on the irv2 app leaves a lot to be desired or I just can't hint the right words to find the results I want.

Ok, 'nuff griping. Here's a question for full timers. How often do you shop for groceries? This includes dry goods as well as food. I ask because our coach is a bit limited on kitchen storage although it has boo coo closet storage (which was the prerequisite for dw). Now dw also habitually stocks up on EVERYTHING! (Hope she doesn't read this or its the doghouse for sure. ... then again, considering how dw babies the mutt. .... maybe I better shut up while I'm ahead. &#128530 She has about 3 dozen toilet paper rolls and a dozen or more paper towel rolls. She buys BIG on EVERYTHING, and usually two or three. Now this was great in the S&B but I'm running out of storage space.

So, once more, how often to you shop for groceries and how long do you plan for surplus?

Thanks. .... and please don't tell dw about this post. =:O
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #2

Well! That certainly is not what I wrote.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #3

I posted a lot more about how dw shops and her excess so I suppose it's good the irv2 app cut out the middle of my original post.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #4

2-5 X's a week. I shop at a lot of farmers market's and use a lot of fresh produce. Plus as we move from location to location I am always looking at specialty shops in the area for new and unique items.

As far as paper products go we only carry enough for a month or less since storage is a problem and it seems that Wal-mart's (or the like) are everywhere so there is no reason to carry to much.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Designate a storage spot for everything, and if it don't fit she can't have it!
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #6

Paper products are not a bad thing to stock up. They are bulky, but they don't wiegh much. Canned goods are a different thing, as are liquid laundry products. We (my wife and I) both knew of her pack rat tendencies so we bought a bunk house model and removed the bunks. We put a small refrigerator in there and she stocks it up when we are staying in one spot for a while. Plus, it gives us room for a lot of cans. We stock up when we are starting a new work campers gig and use it up. We only have to buy perishables while parked.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We each have our own cabinets/storage. Once it's filled we don't get more of the others. A 24 packet of toilet paper for two? A case of paper towels?
I guess that's better than a couple that carried around their iron skillets and broke the shower floor....
Old 03-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #8

Fiesta 48 .... iron skillets??? shhh. You'll get me in more trouble. Those are carried in the oven.

D Lundy. ... And just how much time do you spend in the dog house? (jk) 😜
Old 03-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Iron skillets? Thats all we use for cooking???? Should we Carrie them in the trunk of the toad?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #10

Well, some history here!
We originally farmed in N.Ia. 5 kids 10 Mi. from any twn of any size.
Has taken some time to get DW OUT OF THE LARGE QUANITY BUYING!
There are stores all over. We have thrown a lot of staples away. Can't use
fast enough.but we still have enough T.paper and paper towels for a couple of weeks. Pasta and beans for a month.
Good luck. See Sig.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back when I did not have a car we drove the motor home to church every Sunday.. and usually to the grocery right after church. We also occasionally shopped on Wed (Choir practice night)

now that I have a car.. See above but I make more choir practice sessions in the choir season.

It worked well for several years that way.. Kind of neat shoping Aldi with the motor home in the lot.. Instead of bringing our own bags and bagging everything for transport home.. We just wheeled the cart out to "Home" put the stuff away and returned the cart to get our quarter back.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We just got rid of the very small RV fridge and now have a much larger residential in it's place. We buy enough fruits and veggies for at least a week of juicing. It's alot, takes about half the fridge to hold it all, sometimes more. When we get low in the freezer department we go to Costco and stock up, usually lasts us at least a month, maybe more, it all depends on how much we eat out. As for can goods it's usually enough to go with the meat that we bought. As for toilet paper we get at least a package of 20 double size rolls. That's all that will fit in the space I have designated for it. Paper towels I only buy 2 single rolls, usually lasts us about a month anyway.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I shop once a week for groceries. Yes, I'd love to be able to buy the big package of TP or paper towels at Costco, but haven't got the storage space so just don't do it. Our biggest problem is buying for the week and then having someone call and say they heard about a great new restaurant, etc., and off we go. So for meat and fresh produce, I'm better getting very little at any one time and making an extra stop during the week since we are always out and about in the toad.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #14

eke I have this problem too... may have to resort to dry goods more than canned... can't seem to buy less tp or paper towels tho just two essentials of life that are just to scary to run out of
jandk is offline   Reply With Quote