Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #1

We are currently building a Home Based Internet Travel Agent Business. Anyone have any luck with such a venture?

We will need to supplement our retirement income and feel pretty confident that we can drum up business wherever we are fulltiming at the moment.

Would love to hear your input.
Janice L. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #2

We are currently building a Home Based Internet Travel Agent Business. Anyone have any luck with such a venture?

We will need to supplement our retirement income and feel pretty confident that we can drum up business wherever we are fulltiming at the moment.

Would love to hear your input.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #3

As with any new internet business, getting the word out is the toughest part. Make sure your site is search engine friendly as it will help people using Google, Yahoo Search, etc.. find your business. Then you have to make sure once they are there, they can find everything very easily. Try to avoid tons of graphics because there are still consumers using dial up for their internet connection. Checking for coding errors will always speed up the load times of the site as well.

While my online business site (mainly sell flags) does not deal with internet travel, I still had to make sure all of the above things went very smoothly. It took a little bit to have the site show up in the search engine results too. Just keep in mind that a money making site might take lots of time. Since buying my RV I am even trying my hand at designing a clean looking, easy to use/install flag pole holder for RV users. I know it wont be a huge seller, yet will give RV owners a nice way to display the flag of their choice. So as you can tell, once the website is up, thats only the start of the internet business. Have to think of fresh and hopefully never thought of ideas to bring new customers in to the site.

MOST IMPORTANT-- Watch out for those "search engine optimizing" sites that are fraudulent. I know there are some out there that are very honest, yet have heard some horror stories from the bad ones too. Not sure if it is against the Terms Of Use here to pass along a reputable design company, so will refrain from posting one unless a Mod or Site-Owner tells me that I can.

Hope that didnt scare you from starting your own business, yet wanted to be honest as far as the route that my business has gone thru so far.

Matt

Solar Equipped for dry camping
TheWetFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #4

Matt, sounds like you are working your plan. Have you tried flea markets?

So far, we have been having good luck posting notices on bulletin boards. Everyone loves to travel, and when they can get great deals they go and check it out.

Teaching others how to own a Home Based Travel Agent Business and get the Travel Agent Perks.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #5

Yeppers... Flea markets and festivals are my main selling venues at the moment. I have been selling only in WI., yet want to venture south this winter and try some others. So my main source of advertising is handing out business cards at each market.

If you dont mind, send me a site link once you have it finished. And I wish you the best of luck with it also.

Matt

Solar Equipped for dry camping
TheWetFish is offline   Reply With Quote