Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #1

Census for FULL TIMERS

Just curious how many of the full timers that use a mail forwarding address as their residence of record received census materials via their mail forwarding operations.

We did not receive any forms and contacted our mail forwarding folks in South Dakota. We were told none of the folks at the mail forwarding business received forms.

Don't really care if I'm counted or not, but it's interesting, or good, or bad, that the Gov may be missing many us.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
This is a good question and will be interesting to know. I think you may get a better response in the Full Timers Forum. Would you like this discussion moved to that forum?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I did not receive a census form from my forwarding service.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I received four of them, two each for the two houses I own. The second set of two came about three weeks after I mailed in the first two. The address was the same on all four, go figure.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #5

We didn't receive one either. A couple of weeks ago 6 folks with census ID's came in to the campground where we volunteer. They said they were were doing the transit folks at campgrounds, hotels, marina's etc. A couple of days before on national tv they had warned about identity theft from fraud census workers. So the owner told them to leave...which they did. The census workers didn't know what the main office would do and we haven't heard or gotten any thing from the census.
waywardwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
paz

Funny thing that the Census Bureau wants to count the homeless on park benches, but they wouldn't sent the forms to mail forwarding services so full-timers can be counted. Escapees in Texas thought they had a deal worked out so the members who use their mail forwarding service could get forms, but the Census Bureau called it off at the last minute.

We got a form in our mailbox in March at the campground in Florida where we spend the winter, but it was pre-printed with out site number and campground address in Florida. We wanted our "home state" of South Dakota to get credit for us even though we don't spend much time there.

You can go to www.2010census.gov to find out where you can get blank forms locally (usually places like libraries - we got ours at a YMCA). However, April 16 was supposed to be the last day to mail in the completed form.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
CMRA's cannot send you a census form...it is apparently against the law, although that doesn't really make any sense to me.

We did have a census taker come by our RV before we left Arizona. We're not AZ residents, but we do spend the winters there, so while I would have preferred to be counted in our state of domicile (SD), I wasn't really upset with being counted in AZ.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #8

The end of March census workers came to the campground where I am staying - after they had got an OK from the campground manager. They knocked on all RV doors and asked it people wanted to be counted. If the people said NO they just went to the next rig. The census workers could not leave blank forms, but they told people where to get them in town. By picking up the blank forms in town they can put any address on them.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We did not get a census form via our mail service. We also did not get one at the RV park where we have been for several months. No one has come to the RV park either. We ended up going to the local library and picking up a form and mailing it in. This allowed us to put down the address that we wanted to use as our domicile rather than the address of the RV park.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
CMRA's cannot send you a census form...it is apparently against the law, although that doesn't really make any sense to me.

We did have a census taker come by our RV before we left Arizona. We're not AZ residents, but we do spend the winters there, so while I would have preferred to be counted in our state of domicile (SD), I wasn't really upset with being counted in AZ.
A census taker came to our RV here in Louisiana. I told him I was from SD and would wait for the forms to come, they never have.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #11

We are full timers with Escapees mail forwarding. So, we didn't get any forms either. What irritates me is that the IRS, Polk County Jury people, the Social Security Administration, my company pension, Verizon, and a whole host of other people can contact me at my OFFICIAL address, but the Census Bureau can't. But they will visit every park, underpass, and homeless shelter to count citizens, whether they speak English or not. Whether legal or illegal. Am I venting? I sure am! Just my attitude this past year or so. God Bless Our Country. We sure need it.
shadrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #12

Shadrack: I agree with you. I'm retired and my meager pension and investment income is getting hit at 21 percent this year. I have no deductions and I don't have any loop holes to hid behind. Every year I pay a huge amount to the IRS and have yet to figure out what the hell I get in return for it. I know if I didn't pay my tax bill the IRS would find me, regardless of whether I was counted or not.

So go count the illegals cause at least then we will know how many illegals there are.....sucking my tax money from the soon to be dry well. OK, NOW I'M RANTING.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
paz

shadrack and Roadking - thanks for having the nerve to say what I was thinking.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
If you are Escapees then you should know that all you have to do to be counted is find one of the "Be Counted" sites (on the Census web page) and go pick up a blank form, fill it out and send it it. There was a problem with one of the lawyers at the Census bureau about forwarding on the forms.

Or don't fill one out. But then don't complain that no body notices all of the fulltimers out here because no one sent in their forms.

And if you are paying at the 21% tax level, then you are doing pretty well so quit complaining.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote