Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Changes in Longitude... Changes in Attitude

To paraphrase Jimmy Buffett... we're now 8 months into our full timing after selling our home in Northern California. We've worked our way across the south on up to Virginia where we are currently.

We've found it amusing to observe how the attitudes of people we encounter have seemed to change. Throughout the south we found mostly a warm hospitality with Texas really being where we found people to be the most open and willing to engage with "strangers".

Although we're still technically in "the south", we're finding that people seem to be less inclined to make eye contact and even look at us funny if we wave to them while walking our dogs. We just get the sense that there's a lot more skeptisim.

It's all good but it's fun to observe the differences in culture across our great country.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well, here is a wave from Texas. Might as well come back and stay a while.
carmantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well here is a wave from southern VA. Big difference between southern (close to the NC border) and northern VA which is really Washington DC.

This probably is the line of demarcation. You will notice the further north you get, the less willing strangers are to make any kind of contact, and the waves on the highway generally are done with one finger only. Maybe they are in too much of a hurry to use all their fingers when they wave.

By the way, happy trails...I'm jealous. You are living my dream and if I see you out there, I will wave...with all my fingers.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #4

You are encountering all the transplants from the NE who have retired and moved south to a warmer climate.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
From Texas to NE twice in the last two years, and now traveling the "Left" coast.

Yep!!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Not to nitpick, but I think the title should be changes in Latitude, not Longitude, since you are moving northward.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Good point Barb. Since my observations have been formed since we left Northern California in Sept I was thinking in terms of west to east but the real change we've seen lately is during a northward swing.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen that kind of difference between two sections of an RV park...

You stop to chat by me (I'm currently in Michigan) and you will be called FRIEND
Old 09-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I can relate completly. We lived in Modesto, CA for a while, and this ole boy bein' from Louisiana Cajun Country was used to stickin' his hand out, introducing myself with my first and last name. All I would ghet back was a mumbled first name if that. I had to come flat oout & ask for their last name. Most wouldn't even look me in the eye. I guess they thought I was going to steal their spirit and feed it to a gator somehow. At least here in Texas, people have enough self confidence to answer in kind.
free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dick. Have to tell you a good story about Texas hospitality. While staying in Galvaston earlier this year our dogs locked us out of our car by hitting the lock button. We weren't very close to the action so I walked to a nearby liquor store and asked for a phone book to call road service. The young ladies behind the counter promptly produced two slim jims so I tried them but no luck.

I returned them to the store and again asked for a phone book but one of the girls grabbed her cell phone and called her husband who was just getting off work. She asked him to come by and help. She explained that he had a "kit" which would work.

While waiting by our car for him to arrive, a styleish looking lady in her 40s, driving a Lexus stopped and asked if we needed help. We told her no and explained the situation and that we were waiting for our help to arrive. She then asked if we would like to come to her house nearby to have something cold to drink while we waited! We declined but she really made an impression on us.

A few minutes later, the girl from the liquor store and her husband arrived and he had our car open in 2 minutes. I thanked him and asked what I owed him. After a pause, he said "how does $5 sound"? I gave him $30.

I've told that story many times already. We are only "paper Texans" but I'm proud to have my photo on a Texas drivers license!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #11

Any good Southerner will tell you Virginia isn't "really" the South! My mother used to tell me they were "tainted" by being too close to Yankees!
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a big howdy and hand shake from a native Texan. We have lived in Pennsylvania, Oklahoma and Toronto. Folks in the south are definitely more openly friendly and willing to meet a stranger. Shoot if yo introduce yourself to him, he is not a stranger any more.

I grew up with the acceptable greeting was to extend your hand, firm hand shake, state you name and look them straight in the eye. Just remember...Texas Friendly.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote