Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 06:44 AM   #1

Closets...Closets.....Closets

We have been living full time in a 5th wheel for the last 5 years and ready to make the switch to a Class A. When we down sized and moved into the 5th wheel my wife forgot to downsize her wardrobe, so as you can guess it hasn't gotten any better. That being said whatever we get has to have closet space. I have looked at all makes and models and the DutchStar 4362 seems to have the most closet space. Is there anything else out there that comes close?
RV Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 06:47 AM   #2

A utility trailer?
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:13 PM   #3

Remind your wife to downsize with this move! No need to have all those clothes! With our MH we had one closet across the rear - 1/2 for her; 1/2 for him. It can be done!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Space...zation&sr=1-22

That may help solve the problem.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #5

I've heard some convert bunks to closets for more junk I mean clothing storage.

My wife claims to be an only child but sure sounds like a sister to OP's bride.

How many people besides my bride can say their clothes have overloaded & broke at least one closet pole in every home she has lived in? I've replaced 4 poles in 3 homes. Got it down to a science now for extra support.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
I've heard some convert bunks to closets for more junk I mean clothing storage.

My wife claims to be an only child but sure sounds like a sister to OP's bride.

How many people besides my bride can say their clothes have overloaded & broke at least one closet pole in every home she has lived in? I've replaced 4 poles in 3 homes. Got it down to a science now for extra support.

I’ll do you one better. In our current home, we opted to get rid of a living room off the front door, and it became our closet.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:02 PM   #7

We have transitioned from a 4 BR house, to a 3 BR apartment, to a 2 BR apartment, to a 37' Class A full-time, all in less than 3 years. It is definitely a process.

Get yourself a storage room in the part of the country where you spend the most time. Put lots of things in there that you aren't sure you need, but don't want to get rid of just yet. If you realize you need it, go get it and find a spot for it. If, after a set number of months (ours is 12) you realize that you haven't missed it or needed it, it's time for it to go. Especially with clothing, there is someone out there who could probably really use it.

Good luck to you and enjoy the shopping for the right floor plan. That's the best part of shopping!
Old 11-20-2020, 04:27 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Other than a few heavier (warmer clothes) every year we got through EVERYTHING in the coach (clothes and stored items) and if we have not used it in a year ....OUT It goes. This leads to lots of storage and closet space.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #9

We’ve been considering selling the house and going full time, but in something closer to 40’. With that said we have looked at a lot of rigs with an eye on overall closet and storage space in mind. So, with your ability to go to 43’ the rig you are looking at seems to be your best bet with the walk in closet.

We have been looking at Newmar, Tiffin and Entegra.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
We’ve been considering selling the house and going full time, but in something closer to 40’. With that said we have looked at a lot of rigs with an eye on overall closet and storage space in mind. So, with your ability to go to 43’ the rig you are looking at seems to be your best bet with the walk in closet.

We have been looking at Newmar, Tiffin and Entegra.
Having worked in the tech field since the early eighties, one thing I discovered about computer storage (and how closely this relates to closets in our homes): you could get the biggest capacity drive you could afford (in the days before cloud storage, of course) and it would soon become full, or very nearly that. Why? Because you kept EVERYTHING, since you had so much space. You would throw nothing out. Then, you had to make decisions about what to keep. Or, you had to purchase bigger storage!

If you had asked my wife three years ago about being able to live FT in a 37' moving house with half a wardrobe and two or three drawers, she'd have laughed you out of the room. Now, she realizes there is simply SO much stuff that we don't use and don't need. We are retired, so she doesn't need ANY of that wardrobe; we don't eat in fancy places (assuming we'll get to return to actually eating in ANY restaurant, someday).

You will be amazed by how much you have accumulated that simply takes up space. It won't happen overnight; it is a process. But, it's so worth it!
Old 11-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #11

Unless you have something specific ways to use 'odd' clothes, such as square dancing, you'll be living in casual clothes all the time. During our 16 years of full-timing we carried one dress outfit/suit and never used them. Everything is so casual nowadays. Learn to layer and you save a lot of extra clothes. You don't need a heavy winter coat as RV parks typically aren't in cold climates. You typically don't see the same people over and over again so wearing the same things isn't an issue. Shoes? Hiking boots, tennis shoes, sandals; perhaps a pair of casual good shoes. You don't need shoes of every color to match an outfit.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Unless you have something specific ways to use 'odd' clothes, such as square dancing, you'll be living in casual clothes all the time. During our 16 years of full-timing we carried one dress outfit/suit and never used them. Everything is so casual nowadays. Learn to layer and you save a lot of extra clothes. You don't need a heavy winter coat as RV parks typically aren't in cold climates. You typically don't see the same people over and over again so wearing the same things isn't an issue. Shoes? Hiking boots, tennis shoes, sandals; perhaps a pair of casual good shoes. You don't need shoes of every color to match an outfit.
THIS!!!
Old 11-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #13

You will do laundry at least once a week.....that is ALL the clothes you need
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:47 PM   #14

Excellent advice from all, and at some point i am going to introduce y'all to my wife because I have been saying many of these things for 5 years now....lol.
RV Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote