Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2021, 06:02 AM   #1

Considering Full time: Class A vs Super C

Hey everyone, we are getting ready to full time it! ANY help, advice etc would be greatly appreciated! We now have a 5th wheel but we are considering a Class A OR a Super C. Super C so much easier to drive but I think you get a little more space with Class A. We just don't know. Please help! All we have ever had is a 5th wheel. One question we have is what is the upkeep on both of those options? what about insurance? etc etc. Thanks you guys!
Pam
TXNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Depending upon the length of your SuperC, the driving will be about the same. Not sure what is so difficult about driving a Class A, I've been doing it for 16 years now. What Super C are you looking at compared to what Class A?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:02 AM   #3

When driving a Class A, you have to remember that your front wheels are behind you, which makes turning a whole new experience. If you turn it as you would a car, your back wheels will find the nearest ditch.

FWIW, I don't drive our A, but have taken exactly 1 class. Turning took the most concentration for me. YMMV.

As for space, fivers always feel more spacious to me, but maybe that's because they have higher ceilings. The interior of a C feels much the same as our A.

HTH!
Old 08-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Considering Full time: Class A vs Super C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
When driving a Class A, you have to remember that your front wheels are behind you, which makes turning a whole new experience. If you turn it as you would a car, your back wheels will find the nearest ditch.

FWIW, I don't drive our A, but have taken exactly 1 class. Turning took the most concentration for me. YMMV.

As for space, fivers always feel more spacious to me, but maybe that's because they have higher ceilings. The interior of a C feels much the same as our A.

HTH!

What happens if your partner sprains an ankle and you can’t drive for several days? You should be driving at least part of the time. The more you drive the easier it is.
Blog
Old 08-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
What happens if your partner sprains an ankle and you can’t drive for several days? You should be driving at least part of the time. The more you drive the easier it is.
You are absolutely correct. That's why I took the class. However I still have to get the non-CDL license that IL requires.

Procrastination could spell trouble. Thanks [emoji4] for reminding me!

Cheers!
Old 08-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #6

We did nearly 3 years full-timing in our gasoline Class A Winnebago 32K (33 feet long). While many would say it's too small (it probably was) we did it with me working fulltime. It had a closing door to the bedroom which allowed my wife to sleep in and I used the dinette to work.

For us the cab area is wasted because we didn't have a desk area in the pasenger seat and we rarely spun that seat around to use in the living area. It was basically an area for storage. I say that because unless you're using a diesel class a you would get the same storage area out of a Super C as we did with our A only you have a bunk that we didn't have.

To us it was all about the floorplan and options that we thought would work for us. I'd be making a list of must have options rather than focusing on the type of RV initially. Our unit is a bunkhouse which we didn't consider in our search until we saw what the previous owner had done with that area. He installed a washer/dryer unit and added storage which we really liked. We didn't initally have a washer/dryer on our list of must haves but after our travels we were glad that we did have that. Would have been better if it were split units, but having the one unit was still better than none.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #7

We both took turns driving at each move so we stayed relaxed doing it. Driving a Class A is not a big deal. In fact, we thought it easier than our previous 5th wheel.

Super C... yes, you'll loose some space.

Upkeep - both are comparable as they'll both have the same systems.

Insurance - trying to compare insurance between different people is useless. Everyone will be different depending on age, driving record, credit history, what you're insuring, etc.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We both took turns driving at each move so we stayed relaxed doing it. Driving a Class A is not a big deal. In fact, we thought it easier than our previous 5th wheel.

Super C... yes, you'll loose some space.
Brilliant! Thanks.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #9

It really is a matter of personal preference, I have a gas class A, but have nothing against super C's in a perfect world, if I found the right model, with the right floor plan, I may buy a super C in the future, I like the chassis concept, but that may have to do with being around medium duty delivery trucks with the family business for many years.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #10

Our class A gasser was so noisy we couldn't talk to each other comfortably across the cab. Plus the engine between driver & passenger (the "doghouse") was always hot.

This may not be true for all gassers, but I'm certainly converted to the rear engine diesel!
Old 08-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Driving an A is not that difficult and you will be comfortable in the cockpit in short order. Maybe take it to a large empty parking lot, set up some traffic cones and practice your turns and backing up.

You will find interior space may be very similar between many Super Cs and Class A...but the basement storage will be much greater with A.

Good luck.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:44 AM   #12

re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Depending upon the length of your SuperC, the driving will be about the same. Not sure what is so difficult about driving a Class A, I've been doing it for 16 years now. What Super C are you looking at compared to what Class A?
We are looking at Duramax, but we are really open to Class A. Years ago my husband drove my parent's class A and hated it, but we know they are much better these days and will most likely end up with one as they are a little more budget friendly too. What are your tips for full timing? We have dreamed of this for a long time, but you know what they say, Be careful what you wish for! Now, that it's here, we are feeling overwhelmed with a 3500 sq ft house and all the contents!!! Thanks for any further advise, suggestions etc!!!!
Pam
TXNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:10 AM   #13

Prior to suggestions, I would need to see your RequirementsStatement.
For example, our RequirementsStatement started in 2003.
My Very Significant Other got sick.
Immediately, we scribbled our initial RequirementsStatement on a grocery bag.
It included:
* less time worrying, more time holding hands watching the sunrise
Another point:
* equipment resilience
This led us away from most factory RecreationVehicles because our preferred destinations are up rough logger tracks to remote mountain lakes and across deserts to isolated Baja beaches.
We quickly realized a factory RecreationVehicle would rattle to crumbs...
For your RequirementsStatement, would you:
* RecreationVehicle parks?
* boondock?
Do you need organized activities:
* canasta tournaments?
* shuffleboard marathons?
Do you prefer:
* kayaking?
* SCUBA?
Will you stay overnight with four-hundred mile days?
Will you stay months with hundred-mile years?
My recommendation based on the choices you mention:
* it depends.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNP View Post
We are looking at Duramax, but we are really open to Class A. Years ago my husband drove my parent's class A and hated it, but we know they are much better these days and will most likely end up with one as they are a little more budget friendly too. What are your tips for full timing? We have dreamed of this for a long time, but you know what they say, Be careful what you wish for! Now, that it's here, we are feeling overwhelmed with a 3500 sq ft house and all the contents!!! Thanks for any further advise, suggestions etc!!!!
Pam
Biggest difference is engine up front or in the rear. Our DP is easy to drive, especially having the air bags helping with comfort as we go down the road.

Learned the ins and outs of our particular rig doing figure 8s, backing up using rear view camera, etc., in school parking lots (we were at a university) on Sundays. For getting the feel of driving on city streets, we would find Industrial Parks on Sunday and spend a couple of hours making left turns, right turns, etc. all through the quiet park. That is really important for right hand turns, to figure out how far into the intersection you pull before starting your turn (and yes, sometimes you are in to the other lane for a minute) so that your rear doesn't go over the curb. When your shoulder is into the intersection THEN you start the turn. Left turns, especially with a left turn lane, are easier, but again, wait until you are into the intersection to start the turn.

We were lucky, our house sold so fast that we had to rent a townhouse for a year before we retired so we retired in two steps - first from 3500 sq feet to a 1200 ft townhouse, then to the motorhome getting rid of stuff along the way. Lots and lots of trips to Goodwill as each season past and clothes needed for work were donated. Other things we used the electronic bulletin board at work to get rid of most of them, with all the furniture going to my daughter and son-in-law (as well as my car) to do with as they wanted. Some they kept, most they sold - son-in-law was still in grad school so it helped them as well as us.

If you are going to use a mail forwarding service, get it set up at least 3 months before you leave - but 6 months is even better. That way you can get everything switched over and have a little practice getting your mail sent on to you. And make sure you have moved as many things as possible to online payments, etc. Get all dental work done, I had all my old silver fillings replaced (they were swelling and cracking) before we left so I wouldn't have to worry about them. Meet with your physicians, explain what you are going to do, and move all prescriptions to either a mail-order pharmacy (we were already using Express Scripts) or one of the national chains like Walgreens or CVS. Look at what you will need for TV (Direct/Dish or OTR attenna) and phone service and get that working. And remember to have some fun while doing all of this. 😉
Blog

Tags
class a, full time