Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Considering full time? Take the quiz...

Hello,

I am NOT a full timer but have done some part timing but the longest was 5 months. So, perhaps I am not qualified to make this fun questionnaire but hopeful you full timers will give me feedback to make it more accurate. It was meant to be fun but also useful. Let me know how it fits. A score of 100 would mean, "I am ready for full time" and anything under 50 would be doubtful you are ready.

Ready for Full Time RV living?
Answer the following 20 questions with a “0” to “5” score. So you will end up with a score from 0 – 100. Be honest and give each question a score that most meets your thoughts day by day. The statement, if fully true for you would warrant a ‘5’ score and the ‘0’ score statement is listed also. Rate each with a 0,1,2,3,4, or 5.

1. When repairs are needed to my property (home, rv, or other items) I view it as a challenge and enjoy learning and getting it repaired.
(0 would mean “Your joking – I hate such things and hope they never happen.”)

2. I enjoy seeing new places and find different places as interesting regardless of where located.
(0 would mean “No, I really like being in familiar places and do not enjoy new things.”)

3. I have a broad range of “comfortable” in regard to the climate.
(0 would mean “No, I am only comfortable in a very narrow range of weather.”)

4. I enjoy being around my family and really don’t like to be away from them for more than a few days.
(0 would mean, “No, they are fine but it is fine when I don’t see them regularly.”)

5. I am happy with a very small house and generally don’t need much room.
(0 would mean, “You gotta be kidding – I need at least a 3 bedroom place just for my stuff.”)

6. I really enjoy sitting around and discussing all kinds of topics with people I don’t know that well.
(0 would mean, “I am a bit more private and really wish those strangers would just keep walking past me when I am sitting outside.”)

7. I am most comfortable when things pretty much change on a regular basis and I welcome change as a challenge and see it as interesting.
(0 would mean, “Deep down I think ‘change’ is evil! I wish things would stay the same and predictable.”)

8. I am very content with having only a few possessions and enjoy not being attached to material things.
(0 would mean, “I have to admit that I really want my ‘stuff’ and need to have my possessions and don’t care if I use them regularly but feel comfortable having a lot of toys and space to use them.”)

9. I am very healthy and rarely need to see the Doctor except for routine physicals.
(0 would mean, “Only in my dreams. I seem to have a new medical issue every week and take enough medicine to float a battleship.”)

10. A cell phone and Internet connection is good to have but just not a big deal.
(0 would mean, “No, that is really not the situation. If I don’t have good Internet and cell coverage I feel lost and out of touch with the world and really miserable.”)

11. I am able to keep myself amused with very little activity and find interest in simple things.
(0 would mean, “Well, I need my shop and my hobbies are very important. I have to stay busy and my kinds of toys are not easy to carry along with me on a trip.”)

12. I love to go on vacation and don’t miss being at home in the least.
(0 would mean, “Vacations are ok but really wear me out and I am generally happy to get home.”)

13. I do not find a lot of happiness or joy in taking care of my lawn and garden. It is a pain actually.
(0 would mean, “Mowing and yard work is good for me and the only exercise I really get. I would miss it if I no longer had to keep my yard in shape.”)

14. Church is not an issue for me. I enjoy worshiping wherever I am at or it is just not that important for me to be connected to a local body of believers. New places are always interesting.
(0 would mean, “My local body of believers in Church are very important to me and we love to stay in touch during the week. They are my source of strength and joy.”)

15. I really feel property taxes are a huge rip off from the Government. I should not have to pay taxes at my age.
(0 would mean, “I realize property taxes are necessary for a good school system and don’t mind paying my fair share.”)

16. When I have had to move through the years it was fun and challenging – and I enjoyed organizing my stuff for the move and unpacking was fun.
(0 would mean, “Oh my God, moving day again. I really hate moving from one place to another. So much effort to get things packed and unpacked is really a pain.”)

17. I got stuck in my home area long ago and have always wished I lived someplace else. There are so many other places I would rather live.
(0 would mean, “My home area is the best in the world. I see no reason to ever want to live any place other than where I now live.”)

18. I would like to see the mail service reduced or stopped completely. If people need to get in touch with me they can email me or call. Most of it is junk mail anyway.
(0 would mean, “My daily trip to the mailbox is the highlight of my day. I even enjoy reading the so called junk mail. If I don’t get some mail every day I really wonder that is going wrong.”)

19. I don’t see the need to be regimented to what day to do what chore. I enjoy living day to day and playing almost everything my ear and seeing how the day lays out.
(0 would mean, “If I don’t get things done on a schedule they don’t get done. I live by my appointments on a calendar.”)

20. I often use laundry mats for getting my wash done – it is quick because I can use multiple washers and dryers and get it done quicker.
(0 would mean, “I really can’t imagine using a public washing machine in which so many people have washed their underwear!”)

Results:
1-5 points: Stay at home and sell your RV or don't buy one!
6-10 points: You probably enjoy a little RV adventure.
11-15 points: You sure you want a S&B home?
16-20 points: The open road awaits!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
Hello,

I am NOT a full timer but have done some part timing but the longest was 5 months. So, perhaps I am not qualified to make this fun questionnaire but hopeful you full timers will give me feedback to make it more accurate. It was meant to be fun but also useful. Let me know how it fits. A score of 100 would mean, "I am ready for full time" and anything under 50 would be doubtful you are ready.

Ready for Full Time RV living?
Answer the following 20 questions with a “0” to “5” score. So you will end up with a score from 0 – 100. Be honest and give each question a score that most meets your thoughts day by day. The statement, if fully true for you would warrant a ‘5’ score and the ‘0’ score statement is listed also. Rate each with a 0,1,2,3,4, or 5.
We've only been fulltiming for 8 yrs, but I think you need to rethink your criteria:

Quote:
1. When repairs are needed to my property (home, rv, or other items) I view it as a challenge and enjoy learning and getting it repaired.
(0 would mean “Your joking – I hate such things and hope they never happen.”)
Whether you do it yourself or not isn't really important. The important thing is "I can make lemonade" when sidelined for a few days for repairs. You don't have to like what is happening, you just have to adapt.
Quote:
2. I enjoy seeing new places and find different places as interesting regardless of where located.
(0 would mean “No, I really like being in familiar places and do not enjoy new things.”)
Do you really think anyone would give this a zero if they are on a forum for fulltiming?
Quote:
3. I have a broad range of “comfortable” in regard to the climate.
(0 would mean “No, I am only comfortable in a very narrow range of weather.”)
This would be a zero or 1 for a lot of fulltimers - we fulltime BECAUSE we want to stay in a narrow range. We chase the 75° mark.
Quote:
4. I enjoy being around my family and really don’t like to be away from them for more than a few days.
(0 would mean, “No, they are fine but it is fine when I don’t see them regularly.”)
You have this one reversed, a zero should be "I must see them at least once a day".
Quote:
5. I am happy with a very small house and generally don’t need much room.
(0 would mean, “You gotta be kidding – I need at least a 3 bedroom place just for my stuff.”)
You've got this one right.
Quote:
6. I really enjoy sitting around and discussing all kinds of topics with people I don’t know that well.
(0 would mean, “I am a bit more private and really wish those strangers would just keep walking past me when I am sitting outside.”)
Actually this has nothing to do with fulltimers. Being a private person has nothing to do with whether or not you will be successful fulltimers. In fact probably just the opposite, can you be comfortable with just you and your SO, if applicable.
Quote:

7. I am most comfortable when things pretty much change on a regular basis and I welcome change as a challenge and see it as interesting.
(0 would mean, “Deep down I think ‘change’ is evil! I wish things would stay the same and predictable.”)

8. I am very content with having only a few possessions and enjoy not being attached to material things.
(0 would mean, “I have to admit that I really want my ‘stuff’ and need to have my possessions and don’t care if I use them regularly but feel comfortable having a lot of toys and space to use them.”)
You got those two right.
Quote:
9. I am very healthy and rarely need to see the Doctor except for routine physicals.
(0 would mean, “Only in my dreams. I seem to have a new medical issue every week and take enough medicine to float a battleship.”)
It is taking Schedule II narcotics that is the factor, other things you can handle pretty easily on the road.

Quote:
10. A cell phone and Internet connection is good to have but just not a big deal.
(0 would mean, “No, that is really not the situation. If I don’t have good Internet and cell coverage I feel lost and out of touch with the world and really miserable.”)
For a true full timer, having good internet connection is a must because you transfer all of your financial, etc., dealings to the net. Plus all of the reviews of parks, of review places, of people with similar rigs, etc., are all on the net.
Quote:

11. I am able to keep myself amused with very little activity and find interest in simple things.
(0 would mean, “Well, I need my shop and my hobbies are very important. I have to stay busy and my kinds of toys are not easy to carry along with me on a trip.”)
Good catch - you need to be able to enjoy doing nothing at times.

Quote:
12. I love to go on vacation and don’t miss being at home in the least.
(0 would mean, “Vacations are ok but really wear me out and I am generally happy to get home.”)
Fulltimers are NOT on vacation. Don't even mention it. It is a lifestyle not a vacation and one should not even consider it a vacation.

Quote:
13. I do not find a lot of happiness or joy in taking care of my lawn and garden. It is a pain actually.
(0 would mean, “Mowing and yard work is good for me and the only exercise I really get. I would miss it if I no longer had to keep my yard in shape.”)
Yard work is just another forum of occupying time. People who must do it will become fanatics at washing their coach, rearranging storage bins, etc. They always find something to do.

Quote:
14. Church is not an issue for me. I enjoy worshiping wherever I am at or it is just not that important for me to be connected to a local body of believers. New places are always interesting.
(0 would mean, “My local body of believers in Church are very important to me and we love to stay in touch during the week. They are my source of strength and joy.”)
This is very true.

Quote:
15. I really feel property taxes are a huge rip off from the Government. I should not have to pay taxes at my age.
(0 would mean, “I realize property taxes are necessary for a good school system and don’t mind paying my fair share.”)
Not sure why you have this in. Lots of people live in apartments, etc., and never consider property taxes. This has nothing to do with going fulltime.

Quote:
16. When I have had to move through the years it was fun and challenging – and I enjoyed organizing my stuff for the move and unpacking was fun.
(0 would mean, “Oh my God, moving day again. I really hate moving from one place to another. So much effort to get things packed and unpacked is really a pain.”)
Moving a house is different from moving a rig when fulltiming. Not sure what you are trying to get at.

Quote:
17. I got stuck in my home area long ago and have always wished I lived someplace else. There are so many other places I would rather live.
(0 would mean, “My home area is the best in the world. I see no reason to ever want to live any place other than where I now live.”)
Assume you are going for the sense of wanderlust.

Quote:
18. I would like to see the mail service reduced or stopped completely. If people need to get in touch with me they can email me or call. Most of it is junk mail anyway.
(0 would mean, “My daily trip to the mailbox is the highlight of my day. I even enjoy reading the so called junk mail. If I don’t get some mail every day I really wonder that is going wrong.”)
Just because you fulltime doesn't mean you no longer get mail. Just not as often.

Quote:
19. I don’t see the need to be regimented to what day to do what chore. I enjoy living day to day and playing almost everything my ear and seeing how the day lays out.
(0 would mean, “If I don’t get things done on a schedule they don’t get done. I live by my appointments on a calendar.”)
If you don't think you have schedules when you fulltime then you might end up setting on the side of the road. There are still chores that need to be attended to on a set schedule - - try NOT dumping the black tank on time and see what happens.

Quote:
20. I often use laundry mats for getting my wash done – it is quick because I can use multiple washers and dryers and get it done quicker.
(0 would mean, “I really can’t imagine using a public washing machine in which so many people have washed their underwear!”)
This has to do with whether or not one has an onboard w/d or not or whether they like to use laundromats and really has nothing to do with whether they will make a good full timer.

Quote:
Results:
1-5 points: Stay at home and sell your RV or don't buy one!
6-10 points: You probably enjoy a little RV adventure.
11-15 points: You sure you want a S&B home?
16-20 points: The open road awaits!!

Your point totals don't match from top to bottom. 5 x 20 = 100.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Barb - I will keep working on it for refinements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
We've only been fulltiming for 8 yrs, but I think you need to rethink your criteria:

Whether you do it yourself or not isn't really important. The important thing is "I can make lemonade" when sidelined for a few days for repairs. You don't have to like what is happening, you just have to adapt.
Do you really think anyone would give this a zero if they are on a forum for fulltiming?
This would be a zero or 1 for a lot of fulltimers - we fulltime BECAUSE we want to stay in a narrow range. We chase the 75° mark.

You have this one reversed, a zero should be "I must see them at least once a day".

You've got this one right.

Actually this has nothing to do with fulltimers. Being a private person has nothing to do with whether or not you will be successful fulltimers. In fact probably just the opposite, can you be comfortable with just you and your SO, if applicable.

You got those two right.

It is taking Schedule II narcotics that is the factor, other things you can handle pretty easily on the road.

For a true full timer, having good internet connection is a must because you transfer all of your financial, etc., dealings to the net. Plus all of the reviews of parks, of review places, of people with similar rigs, etc., are all on the net.

Good catch - you need to be able to enjoy doing nothing at times.

Fulltimers are NOT on vacation. Don't even mention it. It is a lifestyle not a vacation and one should not even consider it a vacation.

Yard work is just another forum of occupying time. People who must do it will become fanatics at washing their coach, rearranging storage bins, etc. They always find something to do.

This is very true.

Not sure why you have this in. Lots of people live in apartments, etc., and never consider property taxes. This has nothing to do with going fulltime.

Moving a house is different from moving a rig when fulltiming. Not sure what you are trying to get at.

Assume you are going for the sense of wanderlust.

Just because you fulltime doesn't mean you no longer get mail. Just not as often.

If you don't think you have schedules when you fulltime then you might end up setting on the side of the road. There are still chores that need to be attended to on a set schedule - - try NOT dumping the black tank on time and see what happens.

This has to do with whether or not one has an onboard w/d or not or whether they like to use laundromats and really has nothing to do with whether they will make a good full timer.

Your point totals don't match from top to bottom. 5 x 20 = 100.

Barb
Old 08-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmm...as a 5-year fulltime RVer I also see lots of potential gaps in here. I'm not going to go through each one, but I'm particulary against #6, 10, 11 and 12.

#6 - I've made some really good, long-term friends on the road. And honestly you can be as social or as introverted as you like

#10 - Cellphone and internet (especially) are critical to us. In fact we make our living with them. Sounds like you have not investigated the possibilities here.

#11 - Little activity?? I don't know about you but we typically hike 3-5 miles each day, I run a blog, I do photography, my hubby invests & I also write for a living. You do need to be self-motivated, but that doesn't mean you need to be sedentary.

#12 - Fulltime RVing is not a vacation. In fact those that treat it so usually end up leaving it. It's a lifestyle and takes some adjustment including learning how to slow down, find interests etc. We volunteer, we boondock, we work....and we just happen to do it in different locations. It's far from a vacation.

There's much more, but that's going to be my limit.

I suggest writing the quiz again once you've fulltimed for a few years.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Well said, and correct Barb. Good Job.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I put on the quiz for fun mostly. Thanks for the points. Didn't expect anyone to 'take issue' with anything LOL.

So, I suspect my thinking was flawed from the beginning on developing a SINGLE quiz that would help people decide about full time RV living? Perhaps several different instruments would be useful depending on your purpose and goals, etc for considering full time RV living. I guess the best advice I have heard from many is to "try it for a year or so" and don't sell your S&B without a trial full timing.

I suspect there are several categories of full timers just as there are several categories of all people who own RVs or campers. Some campers enjoy a weekend or two a year and some spend as much time as possible on the road as work allows. And I suspect there are several different categories of full timers. (still working, retired, like to be in dozens of new places a year, likes to stay long term in a few places, etc. etc.)

I do not enjoy (typically) staying very long in RV Parks (with some exceptions we have found) but rather enjoy campgrounds like State or Federal Parks. I know some campers that love the amenities of RV Parks with the pools, game rooms, etc. etc. Different strokes as they say.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club

Yes, there's tons of different styles out there. I guess it's hard not to nick-pick since you're basically talking about our homes and our lives. It's like saying "I've never lived in NC but I've been there a few months, so here's a quiz for those who might be considering it", or "I've never had kids, but I've spent a few months with them so here's a quiz for those thinking about it"...you'll end up ruffling some feathers, for sure.

We work fulltime on the road and stay 95% of our time in state parks and public land. We follow the weather, volunteer in summer and boondock most of winter. Others may roll differently. Most fulltimers (on the fulltimers forum) love the lifestyle
Old 08-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
My questions are where do the butler, driver, cook and maid stay? The basement worked for a quick weekend but fultime they might complane! Lol
Old 08-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
My questions are where do the butler, driver, cook and maid stay? The basement worked for a quick weekend but fultime they might complane! Lol

LOL. The dog took the butlers job, we took the drivers and we were able to get rid of the maid since it only takes 20 mins to clean the entire house. The cats have quality control The only thing we haven't figured out is where to put the wine barrels...
Old 08-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
LOL. The dog took the butlers job, we took the drivers and we were able to get rid of the maid since it only takes 20 mins to clean the entire house. The cats have quality control The only thing we haven't figured out is where to put the wine barrels...
SO, there is a down side. Lol
Old 08-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Good morning Tim. Well, we are back in Arkansas - Queen Wilhelmina - just can't stay away from your great State.

I would fulltime but can't find a good way to attach my 80 foot ham radio tower!

Cheers,

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Old 08-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
I put on the quiz for fun mostly. Thanks for the points. Didn't expect anyone to 'take issue' with anything LOL.
You posted on a public forum, and asked for comments. You got 'em.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Wine barrels are a real problem. 3 cases we can manAge but not the barrels!
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Wine barrels are a real problem. 3 cases we can manAge but not the barrels!
Solution; Take winery tours more often.

Tags
full time