Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
One of the rules of storage space is "It must be filled". Smaller spaces necessitate a lesser amount of "stuff".

We like good food, eaten on good plates with real cutlery. It is one of our pleasures both in the S&B and in the RV. Sometimes it takes a bit of ingenuity in the RV but the result is the same. Enjoyable food with enjoyable company.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My favorite way to cook, especially for a group.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1448133943923.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	112486   Click image for larger version

Name:	1448133973530.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	112487  

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Steve - what time is dinner? Can we bring something?
Old 11-22-2015, 09:19 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Steve - what time is dinner? Can we bring something?
Usually around 7... and a side dish! Lol.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

And I bet it really ticks off the neighbors who are about to nuke their "lean cuisine" cardboard microwave meals!

Not only THAT, but it lasts for HOURS! Just a smokin' away!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:31 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
And I bet it really ticks off the neighbors who are about to nuke their "lean cuisine" cardboard microwave meals!

Not only THAT, but it lasts for HOURS! Just a smokin' away!
So far no complaints! It's a great way to make new friends.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #35

One of the main reasons we ordered a Newmar is they allowed customization of our coach to meet our needs. We rarely eat out, so we designed the living area to store lots of kitchen gadgets and they built it. Here's the list:

GE Advantium Oven
True Induction cooktop
portable countertop induction unit
Maytag residential Fridge
Zojirushi Rice Cooker
Zojirushi Bread Maker
Sous Vide Demi water oven
Cuisinart mini food processor
KitchenAid Hand Mixer
KitchenAid Stand Mixer and attachments
Cuisinart coffee machine
Bodum burr grinder
no-name toaster
programmable pressure cooker
Cuisinart slow cooker
All Clad pasta pot, 2 pans and a large skillet
2 Ozeri non-stick skillets
Ozeri 12" wok
Le Creuset dutch oven
Mandolin slicer
blender
pizza stone and peel
electronic knife sharpener
stainless mixing bowls, stainless colander
cake, pie and muffin pans
baking sheets and pans
various other kitchen gadgets
Corelle dinnerware and several 1 qt and 2 qt large serving bowls
pantry pull out shelf system
In the basement we carry a Weber grill and a Traeger smoker.

Our Sous Vide oven was added a few years ago and it's one of our most used appliances.

Sue
Old 11-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is close to Thanksgiving and I am reminded of the small oven size in most RVs and how we cooked a turkey. For years I used my saber saw to cut the turkey lengthwise into two pieces so it would fit in the oven.
Then I discovered something that just about everyone knew of - except me - electric turkey roasters. It will do up to a 20 or 22 pound turkey. So for the last few full time years we used one for the large turkey that we could have with it. It was kept in a basement compartment with stuff not used too often stored in it.
Besides turkeys it was also great for hams and group sized batches of Texas Red Chili.

We find that we even use it here in the stick and brick house. The big turkey for the 12 people that will be here for Thanksgiving is going to be cooked in it so the oven can be used for other things. Also only one person likes white meat so I buy legs, wings, and thighs so everyone gets what they want and that is a little too much for our regular roaster pan.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #37

The last few years the deli cooks our turkey DW & DD make pies and sides. No getting up at 0 dark thirty to put a bird in the oven.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At some point my wife turned into a microwave princess.. Everything she made was Remove from package, heat and eat.. (Not healty at all).

Since she has died I'm back to cooking from scratch I buy very little in teh way of Prepared foods (I do keep an "Emergency meal" or two about for days when I just do NOT feel like cooking) Right now I have stuffed acorn squash in the oven.... (yes I'm fixing my evening meal).

You do "Downsize" a bit. the RV oven is smaller than your residential and you may wish to put a pizza stone in it or an unglazed clay tile to even out the heat some.. I also use what I call a Large toaster oven (The manufacturer calls it a rotissery oven but it also toasts rather well in fact) I have had for a long time. That's what I use most since I do not pay for electrity over and above my site rental.

I use a steamer,, And since I never really learned to cook for one I still use the microwave.. but it's re-heating meals I made, not store bought.

Now if only I liked doing dishes as much as cooking......
Old 11-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by saydiver View Post
One of the main reasons we ordered a Newmar is they allowed customization of our coach to meet our needs. We rarely eat out, so we designed the living area to store lots of kitchen gadgets and they built it. Here's the list:

. . .
Sous Vide Demi water oven
. . .

Our Sous Vide oven was added a few years ago and it's one of our most used appliances.

Sue
Hi Sue,

Didn't notice a vacuum machine in your list, do your us zip lock bags instead? We bought a Anova One Sous Vide Immersion Circulator last year but have not used it in the Motor Home as yet. Your post is a reminder to pack it come spring time. We use our circulatory in a beer cooler and zip lock bags with good success so no vacuum machine needed.

Jake
Old 11-23-2015, 05:16 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Flagship, that's. My favorite cooking device also. I bought the 14" when it came out, Excellent Smoker!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
It is close to Thanksgiving and I am reminded of the small oven size in most RVs and how we cooked a turkey. For years I used my saber saw to cut the turkey lengthwise into two pieces so it would fit in the oven.
Then I discovered something that just about everyone knew of - except me - electric turkey roasters. It will do up to a 20 or 22 pound turkey. So for the last few full time years we used one for the large turkey that we could have with it. It was kept in a basement compartment with stuff not used too often stored in it.
Besides turkeys it was also great for hams and group sized batches of Texas Red Chili.

We find that we even use it here in the stick and brick house. The big turkey for the 12 people that will be here for Thanksgiving is going to be cooked in it so the oven can be used for other things. Also only one person likes white meat so I buy legs, wings, and thighs so everyone gets what they want and that is a little too much for our regular roaster pan.
We brine our turkey (Janet prefers the cranberry brine) and lightly smoke it on the grill.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
Hi Sue,

Didn't notice a vacuum machine in your list, do your us zip lock bags instead? We bought a Anova One Sous Vide Immersion Circulator last year but have not used it in the Motor Home as yet. Your post is a reminder to pack it come spring time. We use our circulatory in a beer cooler and zip lock bags with good success so no vacuum machine needed.

Jake
Oops, the vacuum machine, which came with the Sous Vide machine, should have been on the list. Thanks for the reminder. We're also waiting to receive a Wifi Nomiku(kickstarter program), which is why we haven't already bought an Anova One Sous Vide Immersion Circulator.

Our Sous Vide gets a lot of use. Besides cooking meat to perfect temperatures, the latest uses have been for making homemade yogurt and boiling eggs.