Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #1

Cracker Barrel overnighting

Ones anyone park at Crackle Barrels and if so what is the process ?

I have read so much negative about using walmarts?

Also is anyone involved with Harvest Host?

Thanks
Tom
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cracker Barrel maybe?

Again, some local restrictions may preclude overnight stops at a CB.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
Ones anyone park at Crackle Barrels and if so what is the process ?

I have read so much negative about using walmarts?

Also is anyone involved with Harvest Host?

Thanks
Tom
The only negative about taking a break at Wal*Marts is what people say about it.
We've done it many times, at those that the local laws allow. Much safer than a highway rest area!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We used Cracker Barrel's down to FL. and back to home.
Would pull in for supper and have breakfast in morning than travel to next one on way.
Did this during Jan & Feb and dry camped at about 6 locations.
At supper time talk to manager just to see if possible and he welcomed said no problem at every CB stop.
Parked in well lighted area and had others join us as the night worn on.
Even the police check during the night and no problems, make sure you have good batteries and your furnace will keep coach warm and holding tank areas also never used the Gen.
Had lighting and TV before hitting the sack.
No trucks and good food.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We've parked at:
Rest areas
State Welcome centers
Truck stops
Campgrounds

The thing to remember is "If it feels wrong then go on down the road to the next stop"
Old 11-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Tom,

You don't say what kind of RV you're using (I always suggest you list it in your signature, it helps in responding to many posts), but in my opinion, you'd have to be pressed to rely on Cracker Barrel for anything larger than a small type C or travel trailer. Many are difficult to get in and out of and most seem to have very short RV spaces. Just yesterday we passed the Cracker Barrel on the I4 frontage road near Orlando. I noted the short RV sites that would require a sharp turn to get either into or out of. I'd not plan on using them with our 63' of motorhome and toad. There certainly are exceptions, but unless I knew from personal experience or a recommendation, I'd have an alternate plan.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
We've parked at:
Rest areas
State Welcome centers
Truck stops
Campgrounds

The thing to remember is "If it feels wrong then go on down the road to the next stop"

This is the same for us.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
We stayed overnight at Cracker Barrel. We were heading east from Wyoming to PA. We drive an ACE 29.2 and have a tow. They have RV parking behind their store. I would go in first and ask if overnighting was okay and was never told no! We also enjoyed a light dinner and had breakfast by the fireside. And no trucks...
Old 11-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #9

In addition, we find many cracker barrels where cars park in the RV spaces. My rig, with car trailer, is too long for the RV spaces anyway, so I just park longways in the car spaces. I do always park as far in the back as possible, and also leave less than 1 car space in the front to eliminate a car from parking there and blocking us in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Tom,

You don't say what kind of RV you're using (I always suggest you list it in your signature, it helps in responding to many posts), but in my opinion, you'd have to be pressed to rely on Cracker Barrel for anything larger than a small type C or travel trailer. Many are difficult to get in and out of and most seem to have very short RV spaces. Just yesterday we passed the Cracker Barrel on the I4 frontage road near Orlando. I noted the short RV sites that would require a sharp turn to get either into or out of. I'd not plan on using them with our 63' of motorhome and toad. There certainly are exceptions, but unless I knew from personal experience or a recommendation, I'd have an alternate plan.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #10

We stayed in Joplin, MO at CB and everything was good. When we asked they said, "It is fine, we just pretend we don't see you there". We took that as an OK. The spots were a little short so we did unhook the toad and pull it next to us. There were trash trucks and delivery trucks really early in the morn making lots of noise but that was a small price to pay for a safe place to stay. Easy in and out.
barbaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
We always call ahead and ask permission where possible. Lowes, CB, Walmarts, Flying-J's etc. The welcome centers and rest stops have their own State rules which can be found on line. We have stayed at them all and as previously stated if it feels wrong then move on. That said CB's have rv spaces that are not large enough for our length without disconnecting the toad. Also we try to get there early to obtain level spaces on the perimeters under lighting.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at a CB in Martinsburg, WV right off I-81. Stopped there for dinner and the manager invited us to stay the night and come back in for breakfast. We thanked him but said we'd go to the WalMart down the road where there was more space.

After an hour at WalMart, security came and kicked us out (no signs) so we went back to the CB and enjoyed a quiet night. By this time the restaurant was closed and there was room in the car spots. Agree that the RV spots are tight especially if you are towing a car.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone seen this app? Thought it might be of interest to some.

State Lines

They just got it ported over for android too so now just about everyone can use it.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I stay in parking lots very seldom but if I need one I find a Lowe's or Home Depot. I use the same etiquette as folks who use Wally. Go in and ask to park overnight. I have never been turned down, just asked to park in a certain area. Oh yeh there is one other advantage. No other rigs or semi's in the lot with their gennies running all night.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote