Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2022, 11:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmnc View Post
We are full timers and retired. We are both under 65 and are looking at dental coverage options . . . I am thinking we may just pay as we go. I've seen others on this forum suggest this as an alternative. Obviously, it's a bit of a gamble in case of a large issue.
First, since you’re full timers, Medicare Advantage plans are probably not a good option since these plans may not cover you nationwide — which is why full timers typically select standard Medicare A and B . . . but since you’re under 65, you can’t get Medicare yet . . . a fact overlooked by most responders in this thread.

We haven’t had dental insurance for about 10 years and use pay as you go. It ain’t cheap, but we both do yearly checkups with the usual x-rays, cleaning, etc. The big ticket items are crowns. I had two for about $1000 each. Most expensive for me was an abscess for about $1500.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2022, 01:20 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
First, since you’re full timers, Medicare Advantage plans are probably not a good option since these plans may not cover you nationwide — which is why full timers typically select standard Medicare A and B . . . but since you’re under 65, you can’t get Medicare yet . . . a fact overlooked by most responders in this thread.

We haven’t had dental insurance for about 10 years and use pay as you go. It ain’t cheap, but we both do yearly checkups with the usual x-rays, cleaning, etc. The big ticket items are crowns. I had two for about $1000 each. Most expensive for me was an abscess for about $1500.
Plan a trip to Los Algodones, Mexico...... Alberta Dental charged me $400 for Zirconia crown including install. $250 for root canal. If 3 roots then $300. Last trip we saved $17,000.00 in dental costs. This trip $8000.00... more than enough to pay for the trip and a long long vacaa. And the service is soooo much better....
Old 12-11-2022, 01:30 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Only one comment on the FL vs SC "residency" thing in this thread? I'd be concerned about that more than dental insurance.
I hope you have your T's crossed and i's dotted on that.
One cannot just claim residency somewhere and have property elsewhere. Some states actually have subpoenaed cell records to prove where you really are living. Domicile is real and states are catching on and enforcing laws.
Best of luck to the OP.
Not once have I read or seen any documentation of an residency issues unless folks were intentionally trying to defraud the feds. or states by switching states every year. WE have property in several states and have kept our residency in the same state for the last 53 years while often being out of our home state for much longer than 6 months. We have had to file state income tax forms for several state's when we have had income in more than one state.

Point is, you have to choose a state to claim residency, get an address and don't try to escape taxes. If you have income sources in several states, good chance you will have to file tax returns in each of those states or the tax man will cometh several years later, especially if it is rental properties, as they are often considered commercial businesses in the eyes of the state tax man. The penalties are what will cost you....
Old 12-11-2022, 01:35 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I've had 3 replacements... 2 knees and a shoulder and paid -0- with a Medicare supplement.
He is only 50 with no medicare... just got tired of suffering and didn't want to wait 15 years.

Tags
insurance