Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #1

Diabetic testing supplies with Medicare

Of course, I still don't understand why Medicare considers lancets and test strips as being part of Durable Medical equipment (the monitor I could understand) but my question concerns how y'all manage your prescriptions for the supplies. Of course, the prescription can't be transferred (even though Walmart scans the original into its computer) AND it has to be an original prescription at each place. And since it is not part of the pharmacy benefit as it was prior to Medicare, I can' t have my online pharmacy do it as a 90 day item.

Because my parents were still in PA I had tried to fill a prescription there - since I am more likely to pass thru there on a regular basis at this point.

But in PA at a Walmart I was told
1) the date on the prescription has to be handwritten, not printed as it was. That time, my next stop was TN where the Walmart accepted it just fine. The clinic in FL said they had never heard of such a thing and their local folks had no issue either.

2) Different PA Walmart and new prescription: This time the doctor from FL (new one - who also had never heard of the date issue but did it the way PA said "Medicare" required) gave me a prescription that indicated it was generically written to be used for the supplies that matched my monitor. The tech first said that wasn't allowed but the pharmacist said yes it was. HOWEVER, even though the prescription said it was for 90 days and used once a day, they could not honor it because it did NOT state what size box the prescription referred to Ė again saying this was a Medicare requirement. She said there are all sizes of boxes so it would have to indicate the size for Medicare to accept it. Mind you she said lancets were in a box of 100 but the strips could be 25 or 50. I have never had to tell a pharmacy which size to give me Ė they used whatever size they had to fit the order.

Seriously - do you folks run into all of this? Obviously the one year prescription already creates challenges to hit the same pharmacy every 3 months for a refill. Do you find pharmacies declaring all these oddities about the prescriptions?

When you see your doctor, do you get multiple paper prescriptions so you can present them at whatever state you are in when it is time for a refill. Ridiculous that these supplies should be harder to get than any of my regular prescriptions.

Sorry, I will quit ranting now. Appreciate any insight into how to travel and deal with this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2021, 07:12 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have no problem at all but I have a Medicare supplement, which pays for my supplies. In fact my MD called in a Rx for one touch test strips (180 but only in boxes of 50 so the pharmacy gives me 200) this week and I will pick them up tomorrow. We fill this in various states as we travel full time.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:18 PM   #3

The pharmacies on the Mexican border towns are cheap.... Progresso, in Texas; Nogales, south of Tucson and Algodonas at Yuma, AZ are popular towns frequented by Americans.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:48 AM   #4

use a mail order pharmacy and have them ship to whatever address you specify. there are several online that specialize in diabetic testing supplies. your doctor sends (transmits) the prescription to them and they sip to the address you specify.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:53 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
We use Walgreens and have not trouble. Just order online, specify where we will pick up the lancets and test strips - usually at the same time as we get a refill for Dave's insulin (Lantus).
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:22 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Diabetic testing supplies with Medicare

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
I have no problem at all but I have a Medicare supplement, which pays for my supplies. In fact my MD called in a Rx for one touch test strips (180 but only in boxes of 50 so the pharmacy gives me 200) this week and I will pick them up tomorrow. We fill this in various states as we travel full time.

MEDICARE pays for all but 20% of diabetic testing supplies and your supplemental pick that up under Part B. If you take insulin that is covered under your Part D, but the needles, etc. are again under Part B.
Blog
Old 03-05-2021, 11:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We have no problem moving around using Walgreens.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:51 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
MEDICARE pays for all but 20% of diabetic testing supplies and your supplemental pick that up under Part B. If you take insulin that is covered under your Part D, but the needles, etc. are again under Part B.
You are correct. Just picked up 300 test strips at a new to me Walgreens yesterday and there was a $9 co pay that my supplement picked up. Total to me...$0
Old 03-09-2021, 06:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The pharmacies on the Mexican border towns are cheap.... Progresso, in Texas; Nogales, south of Tucson and Algodonas at Yuma, AZ are popular towns frequented by Americans.
Yes, if you are near the border you can buy all the type 2 meds over the counter dirt cheap. I just purchased 180 Metformin 500mg tablets for 5 bucks at Similares.
I have Medicare with all the bells and whistles but just don't want the hassle of Medicare requirements to save such a small expenditure and order test strips and lancets on Amazon. It is not worth the aggravation described.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:21 PM   #10

Carolina Campers
I am a type 2 and got tired of Medicare limiting me to 100 test strip for 3 months, basically test one time a day. So I switched meters to the CVS one which has OTC test strips. I donít even bother going thru Medicare for those now.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:30 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
I am a type 2 and got tired of Medicare limiting me to 100 test strip for 3 months, basically test one time a day. So I switched meters to the CVS one which has OTC test strips. I donít even bother going thru Medicare for those now.
Have Rx written for 2x a day testing. We have it that way for whenever there is a spike so we can check it twice a day for 2-3 days, then back to each morning. Most physicians will do that.
Blog
Old 03-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The few times I need to fill a scrip on the road in the last few years. I filled in NC and FLwith the scrip on file at my krogers pharmacy in Ohio and CVS in Ohio. It took some time but. Now I went to the same brand pharmacy in both cases.

Years ago like 1989. I was not allowed to fill a scrip in FL that was written in IN. I think it needed to be written by a doc in FL. It was on file In IN at a CVS and the CVS in FL would not fill it.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Have Rx written for 2x a day testing. We have it that way for whenever there is a spike so we can check it twice a day for 2-3 days, then back to each morning. Most physicians will do that.
Yep my Doc writes for 2 times a day testing ( most of the time) and that give me 200 strips at a time (i only test once a day most of the time.) This time he wrote for test 3 times a day and just picked up nearly a years worth (300).
Old 03-10-2021, 05:24 PM   #14

Carolina Campers
Quote:
My doc wrote it for 3 times a day. Medicare only allowed 100 strips regardless of how it was written.

I figured I was paying a copay larger with Medicare/Plan F/plan D than just buying the ones from CVS that were far cheaper. Easy decision to make.

Tags
test