Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #1

Diesel or Gas.

We are in the final search for our 1st MH.We have decided on floor plan and max size.We will be living FT on the west coast of BC canada, 8-9 mths a yr.We plan on travelling somewhere warm for the winters. We have looked at gas and diesel.New gas and used diesels.Is ther e enough power in gas units to handle large MHs and do they tend to break down faster theen a diesel.I have asked this question to many owners and it seems to me that most MH owners would prefer diesel and settle on gas because of price.I would especially like to hear what mechanics have to say.
mdunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
In all the threads I have seen on here, First 2 questions for you:
1. How much capacity do you need, towing weights, on board carrying capacity and so on, think of the future down the road and if your needs will/might change.
2. Money, not much to say here..........
The deciding factor is about your money limits...........how much to spend, and how much can I afford.
I flat tow, then, years later (last spring)I bought a big enclosed trailer......still had the capacity to tow it.
Like stated, seen a ton of post's on here on this subject, bottom line........if the money is there, need it or not, diesel pusher's are the highway ride!
You just have to figure out your limit's and need's........Have fun in your search!
Here is some reading on this subject: https://www.google.com/search?q=gas+...y=0&gws_rd=ssl
Old 01-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like Palehorse linked...there are many-many threads on iRV2 about this topic.

The mechanic spin of things is interesting. I have a gas RV (big 8.1L V8) and a Diesel pick -up (5.9L Cummins) I can do all my own routine maint on both...so cost are similar except for the small difference in parts price. If having a shop do the work, the gas will be measurably less and the bigger Diesels will have higher shop costs.

-For full-timing, it is generally accepted that floor plan should drive the selection.
-For the driving experience, Diesel will most usually have a power and comfort advantage with big torque and air suspensions...plus Diesels are still available up to and in excess of 500HP from the factory.
-For cost, gas powered RV's will have an obvious price and maint. difference. Modern Class A's over 39' are available on the new Ford F53 with Triton V10 and GVWR up to 26,000lb. Ford is the only maker of gas RV chassis available for Class A's since about late 2010. They are safe and have no problem moving that much RV.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

That's a no brainer, GAS.

They make some nice 38 foot gas units that you can fulltime in and you won't go for your lungs. The Gas units with the V-10 will in some instances depending how you drive out perform a diesel. I have a 35 footer and you could even full time in this as we are staying in it for 4 months and it has everything we want including a nice floor plan.

Something else to consider is the cost of maintaining it ( diesel) as oil changes are expensive along with filter changes plus the cost of diesel fuel is more than gas.

There a few other things to consider but I will let other guys tell you about the cost to operate a diesel coach.

Good Luck!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #5

We have the 2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610, it is on a 26,000 lb chassis(an upgrade) and has the Ford V-10 gas engine. We have put over 8000 miles on it with no major issues. It drives great, tacks great, and does not get pushed around by the wind or other big rigs ect. We average about 8 mpg. Ours has no problem getting up the grades, and several times we have passed diesel MH's on the grades. The towhaul mode works great for descending grades, you can run the RPM's up and use very little braking to keep your speed where you want it.

The maintenace is easy on the gas engine, you can carry a complete oil change kit with you on the road, and do all the maintenace yourself. I have changed the oil twice and it is no more difficult/expensive than changing the oil/filter on a car.

Newmar puts the same quality build into their gas models that they do in their diesel lines. Ours is actually 36'11" and has the bath and a half. You could very easily full time in it as there is plenty of storage capacity, and the floorplan with the L-shaped couch, dinette, three TV's, fireplace, heatpumps, AC's ect makes it very comfortable. Plus with the Bath and a half you get alot more sewage tank holding capacity which means not having to dump all the time or being able to dry camp for longer periods of time. We have done two trips so far where we were out for a month, the only reason we had to come home was to take care of other things.

For us price wasn't the issue I wanted the gas model as I can do all the maintenace and I feel it is easier to drive as you don't have so many things/gauges to watch ect. But the comaprable Newmar Ventanna, with pretty much the same equipment and floorplan was about $100,000 more than ours. We got ours loaded with options and really enjoy the ride and living in it when on the road. Good Luck in your decsion, there are several threads with the gas/vs diesel debates, gas just worked out better for us. Don't just buy a diesel because you think a gas model can't get you the same size MH or performance you are looking for, do your research, you get what you pay for, and it is really all personal preference.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I personally would rather have a used diesel than a new gasser, for many reasons including life expectancy of the engine, quietness in the cockpit when driving, etc. JMHO!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I personally would rather have a used diesel than a new gasser, for many reasons including life expectancy of the engine, quietness in the cockpit when driving, etc. JMHO!
x2 on the above. I've had both. Depending on the year model of a diesel, the later models now have 20K mile oil change intervals, and though no RV seems to ever approach it, they can go a million miles or more on the engine. Add to that the increased fuel mileage (which will offset cost of diesel fuel), the diesel is just a much more pleasurable drive. The noise and heat from a front engine gasser is a big negative for me, but I suspect the later model gassers have insulated to take care of that.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
First thing to consider is Floor Plan. Floor plan will help you determine length and length will give you the available options of gas or diesel.

Floor plan is important especially if you are full timing. No matter where you are you will be inside for legths of time due to weather. Will you be able to coexist in the available space. Can one watch a movie while the other watches the game without interference? Is there sufficient room to prepare meals? Can you lay a hobby out for a day or two and still sit to watch the tv or relax? Will the kids or grandkids be coming with you occasionally or often?

Both gas and diesel have benefits and you will select the right one from the options you will have determined.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is what we have now and for future plans based upon several years experience with RVing.

We are once a month weekenders, plus a couple week long vacations a year. Used to have a FRED, then moved to a larger gasser. The large gasser is perfect for our current usage. Plenty of room and performance. Less capital $$ expenditure and less maintenance $$ expenditure.

In a couple years, at retirement, our usage is planned to change to half timers. Traveling one to three/four months at a time. We will then move to a ~40' DP.

Usage model dictates which is better, IMHO. Unless the $$ don't matter - then sure, go with a DP.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
We have the 2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610, it is on a 26,000 lb chassis(an upgrade) and has the Ford V-10 gas engine. We have put over 8000 miles on it with no major issues. It drives great, tacks great, and does not get pushed around by the wind or other big rigs ect. We average about 8 mpg. Ours has no problem getting up the grades, and several times we have passed diesel MH's on the grades. The towhaul mode works great for descending grades, you can run the RPM's up and use very little braking to keep your speed where you want it.

The maintenace is easy on the gas engine, you can carry a complete oil change kit with you on the road, and do all the maintenace yourself. I have changed the oil twice and it is no more difficult/expensive than changing the oil/filter on a car.

Newmar puts the same quality build into their gas models that they do in their diesel lines. Ours is actually 36'11" and has the bath and a half. You could very easily full time in it as there is plenty of storage capacity, and the floorplan with the L-shaped couch, dinette, three TV's, fireplace, heatpumps, AC's ect makes it very comfortable. Plus with the Bath and a half you get alot more sewage tank holding capacity which means not having to dump all the time or being able to dry camp for longer periods of time. We have done two trips so far where we were out for a month, the only reason we had to come home was to take care of other things.

For us price wasn't the issue I wanted the gas model as I can do all the maintenace and I feel it is easier to drive as you don't have so many things/gauges to watch ect. But the comaprable Newmar Ventanna, with pretty much the same equipment and floorplan was about $100,000 more than ours. We got ours loaded with options and really enjoy the ride and living in it when on the road. Good Luck in your decsion, there are several threads with the gas/vs diesel debates, gas just worked out better for us. Don't just buy a diesel because you think a gas model can't get you the same size MH or performance you are looking for, do your research, you get what you pay for, and it is really all personal preference.
Generally trucks climb hill s at the fasted speed they can achieve where as a diesel motorhome isnt. I could fly up the hills faster but I choose not to. So when your gasser is passing a dp on a hill its because hes allowing you to. Not a significant point but im making it anyways.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #11

Just giving my honest opinion to someone who asked, I don't really think(or care for that matter) that they are just letting me pass them seeing as some of them have been going less than 40mph. RV'ing is not a game or competition. It's funny because most people who state their cause for diesel over gas haven't driven a newer quality gas model. My 2014 does not have any heat issues inside the MH due to the engine, and the only time you really hear the engine is when you are climbing a significant grade. Just trying to offer up to date real experience to someone who asked. I would suppose the old diesels had their issues too, and as timer went on improvements in design and technology greatly changed the ride and performance just like the gas models have.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Most gassers will weight under 26,000# - most DPs will weight more. Does weight have anything to do with it?

My take on it - if you aren't going to cross the Rockies, Sierras, and Cascades 2-3 times a year, but stay in relatively flat areas in the midwest and east (yes I know there are mountains in the east, they just aren't MOUNTAINS like the west) then go with a higher end gasser.

If you do a lot of travel in the west, want to have the ease of using exhaust brake coming down passes and want the great comfort of air suspension, then go with a used higher end DP. There is NOTHING in the gas line that is equivalent to the air rid in a DP.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #13

Assuming the cost difference between a diesel rig and a gas rig is not the greatest concern: For the past 35+ years we have owned and vacationed in various gas motorhomes. The latest, a 2005 38ft Adventurer with the Workhorse 8.1 engine, purchased new. It was a great coach. We had no trouble towing our Saturn Vue over the Rocky Mountains, at highway speed, on many trips. We traded it in with 50K miles of use. The down side of gas: It is noisy, the engine is up front, and especially on the mountains it is impossible to have a conversation, hear the radio, it is just loud. Even on the flat the engine is under you. Also, the suspension is lighter so it does have a rougher ride on bad roads. We just purchased a 38ft diesel. I wanted to be able to tow a larger car or van for travel with the grandkids. We just took our second short trip, so with only 1000 miles under our belt: It is so quiet. It rides like glass even over the rough California (deferred maintenance) highways. Thus, if you can afford it, go diesel. If going diesel will interfere with your ability to enjoy your travels, there is nothing wrong with gas. JMHO
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
MDunner, tough decision, either way there are a lot of gives and take. I agree that much depends on how much you are driving and how many mountains you will climb.

If you are going to be based in one area for months on end, gas may be more practical. We almost bought gas, which was almost the exact floor plan as the diesel. In the end, we wanted comfort during travel also.

Take your time, and drive quite a few (yes, time consuming
and then narrow it down to the two top picks, then drive them again. Our dealer managed to get both gas and diesel for us to drive back to back. It helped make our decision.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas