Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2022, 02:12 PM   #1

diesel price/shortage

Fulltimers, what's your plan for extremely high fuel prices or shortages? We can't exactly "stay home."

We're heading to Indiana to visit family during June, and then we're staying with the COE in a small area for several months.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2022, 04:09 PM   #2

Did you save any money during Covid? Use it to travel now or just stay in a long-term park.

One could also lower costs in other ways.... dining out is very expensive - even for fast food places for 2; admission costs are high; lower your expectations on RV parks and go cheaper; stay in public campgrounds; boondock on public lands; volunteer for parks and get your campsite, etc.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
diesel price/shortage

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Fulltimers, what's your plan for extremely high fuel prices or shortages? We can't exactly "stay home."

We're heading to Indiana to visit family during June, and then we're staying with the COE in a small area for several months.
“Staying with the COE”… paying for a campsite? If possible, switch over to volunteer status and receive your campsite free of charge. Federal sites of all types always need volunteers (although not always in the off season). This year there seems to be a burgeoning shortage of volunteer help as many folks find they simply can’t afford the fuel to travel to the volunteer gig they had planned on. [Mod Edit]
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:09 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I have a 6,000 mile trip planned for this summer. However, I am really thinking of cancelling most of it and "staying home" ... which is a RV lot I own in Florida. Cost for everything has just gotten out of hand. Filled up my Jeep Grand Cherokee the other day and it was close to $75.00! Even McDonalds will be close to $10 for just a burger and fries. RV Parks that I have reservations at right now have also increased their costs. I am full time, by myself, (husband passed Nov 2020); so I don't feel comfortable boon docking anymore. Will make a decision soon ..... Glad I do have a "home" RV resort.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:59 AM   #5
Community Moderator

We only drive our dually around when we have to, like going grocery shopping or doing laundry. Any other time, we are riding our Spyder to save gas.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:29 PM   #6
jrs

We're still going to the Canadian Maritimes (including Newfoundland) this summer. One of the 3 total RVs going with us just dropped out. The trip was planned and booked late last summer. Just told the kids their inheritance will be reduced. We're going to slow way down this coming fall and winter season.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:17 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
No change in plans for us and moving around the PNW this summer before heading across to FL for most of the winter.
We just moan a lot and eat out less often.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:21 AM   #8

We cut out some of our 2022 travel plans but we will still be on the road until returning to Florida around the middle of September.

Originally, we were going to simply tow up north, visit family, then return to our lot in Florida due to the rising fuel costs. However, we decided with the current political situation as it is nothing will probably change and diesel/gas will remain extremely high through the next two or three years and beyond. Since it certainly looks like 2023 could be more expensive than 2022 we are going ahead and doing some travel out west. We will not let the diesel tank get below 1/2 and hope for the best if shorages start.

I can hold 100 gallons of gasoline (50 gallon generator tank and 50 gallon toy tank) so if we get stuck somewhere without diesel we can at least dry camp with a generator for up to a month or so.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:31 AM   #9

We have canceled Yellowstone, Alaska and our run through Canada over to Nova Scotia. 11k in fuel is a bit much for us. Just gonna hit North East for the lobster and clams this summer and hang near base camp until Dec.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:43 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
diesel fuel

The wife and I have stopped all eating out at any restaurants that money will go towards diesel in the tank. We enjoy cooking and its better for your health. We have 2 longer trips planned 1 for a wedding in San Diego and another Graduation party for grandkids. All are other trips will be within 150 miles of home we will still go 2 times a month until Dec 15. Most are reservations are made and we try to stay in less expensive parks.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:10 AM   #11

Prices are high, no doubt.

Shortage

I've learn that social media can create an issue that doesn't exist.

Happened down south last year with gas. There never was a shortage till people on social media started the rumor and then there was a run on gas which created a what was called a shortage. Can't keep up with panic buying. Like toilet paper. Again another social media creation

We will hang a little closer to home base, stay longer and slow down. These 3 things will save diesel and money. Also time to smell the roses.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
Prices are high, no doubt.

Shortage

I've learn that social media can create an issue that doesn't exist.

Happened down south last year with gas. There never was a shortage till people on social media started the rumor and then there was a run on gas which created a what was called a shortage. Can't keep up with panic buying. Like toilet paper. Again another social media creation

We will hang a little closer to home base, stay longer and slow down. These 3 things will save diesel and money. Also time to smell the roses.
Good point. In addition, much of the stuff put out by major media outlets in todays world is filled with half truths and at times downright BS.

Looks like the world oil prices did go up today and are approaching $120 per barrel. I suspect by the end of June it could be hard to find diesel for under $6.00 per gallon. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:23 AM   #13

I am parked by another camper that provided some interesting info last week. We both have Ford 6.7 diesel engines. He transports new RVs out of northern Indiana through the week and comes back to this CG when he is off on most weekends.

He just traded his old Ford for a 2019 F350. He had just under 600,000 miles on his old truck and thought it was time. Anyway the mpg he was getting both towing and non-towing was about 3mpg better than anything I have experienced with my Ford 6.7.

He has never deleted his DEF nor has he installed any tupe of tuner. He does use XDP fuel additive and a K&N permanent air filter. Of course he keeps track of the psi in his tires, etc.

Anyway, I started using the XDP fuel additive and I am averaging 1.5 to 2 more mpg. I have the K&N ordered.

Since we not only tow with our F350 but use it for a daily driver my monthly average is around 2,000 miles. If my increase in mpg is close to his with these two additions I can save at least $100 a month.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:52 PM   #14

I've been using XPD for nine years. I guess it works, or at least doesn't cause any harm. There's a study of wear marks out there on the interwebs.

We've toddled up to Cleveland, Tenn. from Summerdale, Ala. through Montgomery. Gunter Hill COE FHU park at Montgomery had lots of open sites, as did Whitetail Ridge COE at Lagrange. From Montgomery to Cleveland we've noticed a very distinct lack of RVs on the road. We've usually traveled at this time of year; this is really different.

Tags
diesel