Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #1

Diesel truck lanes at Pilot

I hate to bring this hot topic up again, but has anyone found new pumps at the truck lanes that will accept a credit card after starting the pump with the Rewards Card? Currently all I have found still follow this method:

Insert only your rewards card at the pump to turn on the pump. Do not insert any other card such as a credit or debit card at the pump or the transaction will fail
Select fuel type.
Pump fuel - When finished fueling, hang up nozzle and pull forward.
Go inside and see cashier for payment
Even if paying with credit/debit card still receive cash price and $.03 discount*

I copied the above from the Pilot web page. If the new pumps in fact do allow "payment outside", then the Pilot web site needs updating. The reason I'm asking this question is that I listened to a fellow at an RV park who said he is using his regular credit card (not the Good Sam/Pilot card) at the truck lanes. If I had more time to talk with him, I would have pressed for details.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I don't even try. I follow the instructions on the website and go in and pay. I don't mind stretching my legs a little after driving a while anyway.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
X2. Stretching my legs is NECESSARY for me. I am on SSD with a back injury and have to walk around regularly. This allows me one of those walk breaks.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #4

Same here I've had to go in and pay on the large nozzle truck lanes.
I've only found pay at the pump on the RV small nozzle island.

Pulling up to clear the lane is courtesy protocol. Many times for the walks abouts I'll pull away into the parking lanes and then go in. I figure between the cameras and my info from the rewards card they know I'm not dashing off.
Seems like there is always someone in line buying a weeks worth of groceries ahead of me.

I don't want to be the one clogging up process.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #5

I have a four digit code to use with my RV Plus card. I just insert the card and choose tractor fuel. It then asks for the code. After entering the code, I pump the fuel and leave. I never have to go inside unless something malfunctions in the process.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
I have a four digit code to use with my RV Plus card. I just insert the card and choose tractor fuel. It then asks for the code. After entering the code, I pump the fuel and leave. I never have to go inside unless something malfunctions in the process.
Ah, that's their own charge card. No credit card. Bill due 15 days after billing cycle. $1000 limit unless you set it up for auto-draft on checking, then it's $2500 limit.

Not sure it's worth loosing the spend on my preferred credit card for the benefits of that card. YMMV.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, we have found pumps at Pilot truck lanes that allow you to use a credit card. Almost always these are new pumps that also have the DEF, so if DEF is listed as being present at a Pilot truck center, then it is likely that we will be able to pay at the pump. If not, it is turn on and then pull ahead and go in and pay.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
MOST of them have def now (at least in my few state haunts), but the only credit card that allows a pay at the pump is the pilot / FJ card.... that I know of...

def @ $2.79/per gallon is worth it not to have to lug around that bottle !
Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
MOST of them have def now (at least in my few state haunts), but the only credit card that allows a pay at the pump is the pilot / FJ card.... that I know of...

def @ $2.79/per gallon is worth it not to have to lug around that bottle !
We're on a cross country park, so more than just a few states that we have been through. It is not the Pilot credit card, we use our regular Visa cards so that the shut off point isn't so low we have to swipe several times, and no, not all places have DEF available.

There is a difference between the regular Pilot stations and the dealer Pilot stations - most of the dealer stations haven't upgraded and include DEF yet.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post

There is a difference between the regular Pilot stations and the dealer Pilot stations - most of the dealer stations haven't upgraded and include DEF yet.

Barb
Just checked the Pilot app. Not much help there for determining what stations have the new pumps (DEF and credit card swipe and receipt deal). Likely it is a matter of motoring up to the truck islands and accepting whatever system they offer. For sure, I will try the standard credit card if the pump handles it. Otherwise it is saunter over to the concession building and stand in line. I'm cursed with the Poor Soul (Jackie Gleason) syndrome. No matter what line I select, it will turn out to be the most problematic one, or even get closed as I step up to the check out register.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
New to Diesel fuel MH

Found this thread very informative but having just purchased a new to me Diesel MH I hadn't even thought as far as buying fuel on the road yet. A couple questions now, are you guys saying to use the "truck lanes" not RV lane at Pilot/Flying J stations? Is the Diesel cheaper that way? I thought only exempt trucks use them...so much to learn!

Just saying I LOVE IRV2!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacarol View Post
Found this thread very informative but having just purchased a new to me Diesel MH I hadn't even thought as far as buying fuel on the road yet. A couple questions now, are you guys saying to use the "truck lanes" not RV lane at Pilot/Flying J stations? Is the Diesel cheaper that way? I thought only exempt trucks use them...so much to learn!

Just saying I LOVE IRV2!
RV lanes are usually a little cramped/narrow and exit a close turn out....not to mention the nozzle is usually small so longer time at pump. Couple longer time at pump with, stand in line inside to use card because for whatever the reason the pump does not take card, anyway more time than truck lanes. Besides you can get more diesel on your shoes in the truck lanes so DW can warn you to wipe your shoes off and the fact that you stink. ha. bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacarol View Post

Just saying I LOVE IRV2!
I use truck lanes everywhere but in the state of Indiana. With an RV in Indiana there is a 30 some cent surcharge at truck pumps.

I still have no interest in stopping to give the crooks at Flying-J and subsidiaries any of my money.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I always use the truck lanes for ease of use and convenience. So much more accommodating than the pumps out front.

One time and only one time in the go-in-and-prepay days I was told since I was an RV I had to use the pumps out front. I politely told them that I could not get 65 feet of motor home and TOAD into their pump lane. They activated the truck lane pump for me.

I use the PFJ advantage card allowing to pump first then go in and pay. I don't mind the walk. I also will clear the pump by pulling forward.

I have never ben scowled at or chastised by any trucker, mater of fact I have had compliments on the MH many times.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote