Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #1

Domicile

Why is a domicile for full-time necessary . What are the advantages and disadvantage of a domicile.
curly111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 06:30 AM   #2

You will need an address for your drivers license, vehicle registration, vehicle and health insurance. Taxes and voter registration.

There is lots of information out there on pro and cons. Florida, Texas and South Dakota consistently are at the top of the list.

Getting an address in those state is only part of declaring a domicile. You can have tax consequents, especially if you really don't separate from your old domicile state.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:32 AM   #3

The Escapees RV Club can help with mail forwarding and domicile. That's who we use for both.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:02 AM   #4

We just sold a property in fl. And we have driver lic. And car reg. In fl. Just not sure why a domicile is necessary.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly111 View Post
We just sold a property in fl. And we have driver lic. And car reg. In fl. Just not sure why a domicile is necessary.
How are you going to vote, get your vehicles insurance, get mail (yes some will come via snail mail), etc. if you don't live somewhere. Since you already have FL licenses, just find a mail forwarding service that knows about full timer RVers and join up, "move" to the new address and away you go.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #6

Quote:
What are you going to do when your registration needs to be renewed, or your driver's license for that matter?

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #7

I have a mail forwarding address. I have renewed car reg. For three years drivers license do next year not a problem. Also have voter registration card. Question was why is a domicile necessary?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #8

Death, taxes and death and taxes!

Your domicile determines where your family will start probate, where you file your taxes when alive and where, if any, state estate/death taxes are required.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:46 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
I have a mail forwarding address. I have renewed car reg. For three years drivers license do next year not a problem. Also have voter registration card. Question was why is a domicile necessary?
For everything you just listed. Obviously you have a domicile. Are you being purposefully obtuse?
Blog
Old 01-15-2018, 05:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Curly; is it possible you are confusing the term domicile as used here with an actual house, apartment, condo, etc? In the FT RV world a domicile usually applies to nothing more than a physical street address at a mail forwarding service. It matters not where. Florida, Texas, and South Dakota just happen to be the three best states for establishing your "domicile" for legal purposes. Each state has it's pros & cons. For me, Florida will be my best bet when / if I decide to sell my brick and mortar "domicile" in NC.
Keep in mind, not all mail forwarding services are created equal since their (and thus your) address may be flagged by the government, banks, insurance companies etc. as not a legal address for their purposes. Further search in this forum and many others will discuss this in much greater detail.
Good luck.
8824rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:16 AM   #11

New Horizons Owners Club
You have to have a Domicile because the Homeland Security says so!
CDWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #12

No I do not have a domicile I have never went to a court house to get one. Florida must be different then your use to. Before you call someone stupid you should get to know them.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
No I do not have a domicile I have never went to a court house to get one. Florida must be different then your use to. Before you call someone stupid you should get to know them.
If you have drivers license, vehicles registered, file income tax with an address, you have a domicile. No one goes to the court house to establish a domicile, they just move to new area and do those things to set up their domicile.
Blog
Old 01-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
If you have drivers license, vehicles registered, file income tax with an address, you have a domicile. No one goes to the court house to establish a domicile, they just move to new area and do those things to set up their domicile.
We moved our domicile to Florida last year. In fact, the first step in the process was to go to the County Court Clerk's office and file a "Declaration of Domicile" form. Then we went to DMV and got our drivers licenses and vehicle registrations. Lastly we went to the Elections office and registered as Florida voters. The entire process took less than three hours.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote