Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2022, 12:55 PM   #1

Domicile decisions (family vs a SD service)

Currently live in CA and looking to FT for a while starting next year. I may or may not retire by then (currently 100% remote worker living in a sticks and bricks)

My brother owns a home in AZ and my mother owns a home in MT. Both are willing to let me use their address as my residence. The other option I think is taking advantage of SD options.

Using one of my family addresses means not paying a mail forwarding service as they are willing to handle it, having an actual place to visit and maybe store some small items, etc.

Using SD means no income tax and potentially lower fees, etc. but paying for the domicile service and their related fees, having to go back annually which isn't really a big deal, and whatever other requirements they have.

I think the income tax issue might drive me to use SD but I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on the option of using family members residences instead of a domicile service.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2022, 03:54 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
With a mailing service in SD, you can always depend on them. We have been defectors from CA to SD since '03 and have never had a problem. You do not have to go back every year, only every 5 to renew your drivers license. The no state income tax is a plus
Old 10-04-2022, 07:25 PM   #3
Community Moderator

In SD you do not need to return every year. Just once every 5-years to renew your license, but there is a procedure where you can do it on-line and not return for 10-years.

https://dps.sd.gov/driver-licensing/...e/renew-online
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:38 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
As has been stated.. You DO NOT need to return every year.
The lack of a State Income Tax [ of any kind ] for Us is a Major Plus.
You DO Need to transfer all things Legal [banking/insurances/Licenses & tags/Investments/SS & Medicare to Your new address.
We are with the Escapees outfit and use their Box Elder storefront address as our own...No Issues with the address or the mail forwarding anywhere in the world.
[I did not want my family or friends pungling thru our finances and other private matters].
Escapees also have Campgrounds and agreements for discounted stays with others.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Your initial post did not make it clear, but you should be aware that Texas and Florida are also very fulltimer friendly, and offer advantages similar to SD (no state income tax, easy online renewal of lic & reg, etc.). We have been fulltimers, Escapees members, and Texas residents for over ten years.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Your initial post did not make it clear, but you should be aware that Texas and Florida are also very fulltimer friendly, and offer advantages similar to SD (no state income tax, easy online renewal of lic & reg, etc.). We have been fulltimers, Escapees members, and Texas residents for over ten years.
Are they are friendly w.r.t. RealID requirements, firearm purchases with a forwarding service address, etc?
Old 10-05-2022, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
[I did not want my family or friends pungling thru our finances and other private matters].
This is something I did not consider
Old 10-05-2022, 02:31 PM   #8

We used SD as 'domicile' when we escaped CA and went FT

We looked into TX & FL......insurnace premiums were higher then SD

As for DL renewals........SD worked for us as both our DOBs were in late spring/early summer so didn't have to go back during WINTER

Mail forwarding services ....well worth it
Legal address, great mail handling (it's what they do,,,,,,mess that up and customers go elsewhere!)

Escapees Club is good....great info, mail handling AND they have mail service in TZ (home base) PLUS FL and SD
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:50 PM   #9

We used Escapees RV Club mail forwarding for 16 yr. of full-timing plus another 6m. before we started full-timing just to get our mailing address established. Address changes can be done online easily nowadays; not when we started. You can use the address for voting purposes. We registered in Texas. The Club is an excellent advocate for RVers' rights and offers many 'perks'.

People always bring up the negative aspect of Texas vehicle inspections and the need to go back to have it done. You don't have to do so. There's a box to click online that you're out of state & you have 5 days, I believe, if in the state to have it done. If you can drive through in 5 days to exit the state (it's BIG), then you don't have to have it done. It's really not a big deal - cheap and very fast.

https://escapees.com/mail-service/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:49 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
Are they are friendly w.r.t. RealID requirements, firearm purchases with a forwarding service address, etc?
We got a REALID when we changed in 2021.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:25 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
1. Texas was one of the first states to go fully RealID. The started in 2016. When you convert your CA to TX, you will receive a RealID.
2. Im not sure of all the ins and outs of Texas firearm laws relative to purchasing. Texas DPS site can answer you, or give you a tel number that can.
I know that when we switched from NC to TX domicile our NC carry permits were readily accepted. However, to be issued a TX LTC (at that time) we had to take a course and range qualify, all in one day. This was required of everyone at the time.
Texas now requires no permit for residents for open or concealed carry. However, it remains valuable in my view to procure the carry permit to avail yourself of the reciprocity acknowledged by about 37 other states.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:25 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club

We are long time CA. residents and are doing the exact same thing starting Jan 1, 2023. We sold our primary residence and plan to be on the road for a number of years. I agree with many of the posts here and have been looking into this extensively, especially in regards to CA taxes. My advice would be to talk with a good tax attorney. Turns out there about 26 items you need to do to make sure CA does not come after you for taxes. If you are/were a high earner then they are going to try and make you pay no matter where you are. They are trying to make it as difficult as possible to avoid paying taxes to the state. Good luck and maybe we will cross paths someday.
boilerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerdude View Post
. My advice would be to talk with a good tax attorney. Turns out there about 26 items you need to do to make sure CA does not come after you for taxes.

If you are/were a high earner then they are going to try and make you pay no matter where you are. They are trying to make it as difficult as possible to avoid paying taxes to the state.
This is Correct! I Have friends that left CA and Their Tax attorney(s) Really Stressed the fact that they had to make a full and clean break from Cali, leaving No Financial/Employment ties to Cali. Including their Cali based Banks, Stock brokers/Investment Counselors.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
This is Correct! I Have friends that left CA and Their Tax attorney(s) Really Stressed the fact that they had to make a full and clean break from Cali, leaving No Financial/Employment ties to Cali. Including their Cali based Banks, Stock brokers/Investment Counselors.
I will have to do that. I may or may not retire early and my employer is headquartered in CA (and wholly owned by a multinational) but we have offices all around the country and internationally so maybe it won't be as hard.

Primary banking and the investment companies are national and both are headquartered outside CA. My credit union would be closed as its residency based anyway.

All my insurance would get updated and I'd change agents. That company is also national but I may reassess everything there anyway since the circumstances of life would have changed by then.

Tags
service