Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2022, 11:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
However, the upside is with a motorhome towing a toad, you will always have a vehicle to drive. When the pickup truck breaks down or goes into service, you are left without a vehicle to drive.

There are quite a few freightliner “oasis” shops which provide power/water for you to stay in your motorhome while some service is performed. Obviously there are some
major repairs which would be an exception.
Another consideration is that is always in the back of my mind is that I'll need two tow trucks to get our entire rig off the road.

Having the tow car on the trailer was very comforting. Especially in.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1298.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	382032  
RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2022, 03:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS ODonnell View Post
Another consideration is that is always in the back of my mind is that I'll need two tow trucks to get our entire rig off the road.

Having the tow car on the trailer was very comforting. Especially in.....
I'd never have a tow car on a trailer driving the backroads. Car dollies are bad enough to deal with in a RV park.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I'd never have a tow car on a trailer driving the backroads. Car dollies are bad enough to deal with in a RV park.
Everyone views these liabilities differently. When we had the 43' DP towing a long enclosed trailer I never had issues in campgrounds. Of course I always plan ahead and never simply stumble into an unknown place either. The upside for me was that I could always back up if I got into a situation where I needed to.

When we switched to an extended tow dolly I constantly worried I would get into a spot where I needed to back up and couldn't. Personally I would never go back to an RV combination set up where I could not back up.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Everyone views these liabilities differently. When we had the 43' DP towing a long enclosed trailer I never had issues in campgrounds. Of course I always plan ahead and never simply stumble into an unknown place either. The upside for me was that I could always back up if I got into a situation where I needed to.

When we switched to an extended tow dolly I constantly worried I would get into a spot where I needed to back up and couldn't. Personally I would never go back to an RV combination set up where I could not back up.
Same here.

It's also nice not to have to worry about brakes, lights and wear and tear on the car. Tires on the trailer aged out before they wore out. Tightest place we ever camped was Gros Ventre in the Tetons. Not an issue at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6012.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	382187  
RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:16 PM   #33

My BIL and SIL had an old Class A for a couple of years to see if they liked RVing. They retired and sold their home and went full time. The first thing they did was sell their old "trial" Class A and they bought a very nice 2-3 year old 5er. After about 9 months they decided they didn't like the 5er, mostly because of the backing up into campsites and disconnecting and then re-hooking up. So they sold the 5er and bought a nice 2-3 year old Tiffin. I couldn't help but think that was an expensive lesson.

Suggestion: If you haven't tried both you might want to rent one to see how you like it.

Good luck!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:51 PM   #34

I don't think there is a "right" answer for everyone. We started camping with tents, then tent trailer, then towable trailer, then 35' class A. We skipped the 5'er stage because I hated towing the trailer. Now retired and in a 45' DP towing a jeep 4 down, which is perfect for us. We're still on the road seeing the Country. If we ever get tired of traveling and just want to winter in the same location in the south, we might look at a large 5'er and keep it parked. Then we'd drive a car from the 5'er to our home in the PNW in the summer. Our DP easily has double the storage space of any 5'er we've seen but I like the high ceilings and openess of the 5'er when parked.
Like others have said, a big rig does require planning. Both route planning and overnight planning. Using a combination of RV Parky, Gas Buddy, and satellite view of Google Maps does the trick.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time